Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Need bottle suggestions PLEASE!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432559)

3girlsallnaughty 08-15-2012 09:45 PM

Need bottle suggestions PLEASE!!

Okay...long story short dh ruined my bf'ing with ds so now we've got toooons of issues and I'm about ready to cry ;( ughhh...so we're on soy after a 3 week battle with formula but now I'm having constipation issues with ds amd lots of gas :( he's just so miserable and I can't find a bottle he can suck right...we've done playtex ventaires..dropins...nuk..plain ole standards...dr browns..mam...momma!....avent..avent naturals...born free...evenflo true vents....born free...tommee tippee...please is you mommas have any suggestions please help..tia

Btw...he can't seem to do fat wide neck nipples

SPJ&E 08-16-2012 07:49 AM

Re: Need bottle suggestions PLEASE!!

What problem exactly is he having with the bottles? Can he actually not suck the formula out or is he tyring to eat, pulling away crying, trying to eat, pulling away crying, etc.? Does he cry a lot during/after feedings? How much is he able to take in? He's what...4 months old? How has his growth been?

And finally, have you tried the infant gas drops (Mylicon - we used the off brand)?

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to get a better understanding before offering advice!

amb2j 08-16-2012 10:51 AM

Another question...do you think its the formula (i.e, he's so gassy and fussy that its hard for him to settle in for a feeding) or the actual bottle/nipple?. When we started supplementing with formula, we had great success with Nutramigen-expensive, but its so gentle and is a great transition for BF babes. As for bottles/nipples...Im at a loss-youve done so much already. Hoping for more advice/suggestions.

slimy72 08-16-2012 12:03 PM

I would also wonder about the above questions, and maybe consider some gas drops or gripe water. It could be he doesn't like the formula or it doesn't agree withhim so he won't take the bottle. DS did best (in my opinion)on playtex drop ins, but honestly the fit for his mouth was the cheap 99cent gerber bottles. I just hated the thought that they weren't a "fancy" vented bottle, so I only used them when we were out and about because they fit the similac ready to feed single serve bottles (ds had to have RTF powder gave him horrible gas/cramping/screaming/consitpation you name it). So maybe try a cheapy or even the sposie nipples the hospital gives out. And whatever formula you're using maybe try a bottle of RTF and see if it helps (it will take a few bottles to baby to see if it works).

3girlsallnaughty 08-16-2012 09:39 PM

Doing gripe water and gas drops now...hes purely miserable sleeping about 30mis or so at a crack....idk but I'm losing my mind :( bout ready to try nutramigen bc I can't handle the other 4 when he's like this...I'm completely alone here...he's only taking 12oz a day n hea abt 13lbs 4mo

mms1972 08-16-2012 09:48 PM

What formulas have you tried? Powder or RTF? Have u talked to your doctor at all? 12 oz a day in addition to breast milk or total? If its total i would think he needs to be seen by the doc right away...maybe its reflux?

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

3girlsallnaughty 08-17-2012 05:32 AM

No breastmilk....we're done there..thought about trying lact aid or medela sns to let him nurse n still supplement...maybe I can build back up...we've only beed done a little more than a week...he's goin in to pediatrics today...can't do this anymore with him...oh btw we did all powders and tried (over a 3mo period) similac...enfamil...enfamil gentlease...enfamil soy

3girlsallnaughty 08-17-2012 05:34 AM

Been in contact with pediatrics too for the last week....dr says he will do xrays today maybe to rule out cobstipation (I did get him to go quite a bit last nite) and also check for reflux

mms1972 08-17-2012 07:32 AM

Please update us when u get back from doc! have u tried similac sensitive? Alot of people have good luck with that in the RTF--I've had good luck with the generics actually the gentle and the sensitive-- I know soy can be very constipating and the similac sensitive is very low lactose-- so sorry your going thru this mama! or goodstart.... have u tried their formula--i know they have a soy too-- i would try a couple different RTF's in the low lactose or maybe soy and see if maybe powder is just not for your LO-- maybe the doc has some samples ... also bottle wise is it coming out too fast/or too slow? we have had the best luck with Dr bowns(the skinny one) and ventaire- again the skinny but i use the dr browns slow flow nipple-- for some reason that is the nipple my DD prefers! i hope u get some answers today mama!!!!

Also-- i have read that a little pear juice in the formula can help with constipation issues-- maybe ask the doc about it....

slimy72 08-17-2012 02:38 PM

Good luck mama, I hope the dr can give you some help. We went through at least 10 different formulas to find the right one for my lo. That was the hardest 4 months ever. Poor guy hurt all the time. Hopefully they get it figured out quickly.