Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Weight loss and the scale (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432739)

lookatreestar 08-16-2012 11:45 AM

Weight loss and the scale

jengojengo 08-16-2012 11:53 AM

Re: Weight loss and the scale

The scale is only one of the many tools for measuring success in weight loss. It all depends on how much you need to lose. If you are at a healthy weight and just need to "tone up", you may not lose at all. If you need to lose 50+ lbs (like me) and the scale still hasn't budged in a couple of weeks, it's time to re-evaluate your program.

jbug_4 08-16-2012 11:56 AM

muscle weighs more then fat- basically. A pound of muscle is significantly smaller than a pound of fat. I have decided to stop looking at the scale for that reason and because I get the lovely 3-5 lbs of pms bloat. Its very defeating to see that on the scale, even though I know in a week it will be gone again. I am paying more attention to my inches, clothes and look. I am starting to see muscles again and dh asked me if I have been working out a lot more- both of those mean way more to me than the numbers on the scale. I like looking down and seeing a hint of bicep- makes me feel good and strong.

ETA I am a normal weight with a healthy bmi. I think the scale might be more important if I were overweight or my bmi was too high. Or not, who knows. I really think measuring inches is better then weight anyway.

JayDee38 08-16-2012 12:31 PM

I gave my sister my beautiful scale (who was turning into an enemy). I couldn't handle my obsession with waking up in the morning, using the restroom, and then weighing myself. I felt like it would dictate my mood/outfit (they were getting shlumpy cause I felt poorly about myself), and I didn't want that anymore.

Ditching the scale is a great idea.

lookatreestar 08-16-2012 01:35 PM

llamabeans 08-16-2012 04:29 PM

Measure instead of weighing. Pay attention to how you look naked, how clothes fit. You'll be able to tell.
:)

smilewithme 08-16-2012 04:33 PM

I get too crazy with a scale. It has been on the same number for four weeks after losing 33ish lbs, but my clothes are fitting better every week. I just quit looking at the numbers.

JellEBeanDesigns 08-16-2012 05:59 PM

Scale once a month measure once a week!

lookatreestar 08-17-2012 11:18 AM

CMamma 08-18-2012 09:10 AM

Since we moved about a year ago, we still haven't unpacked our scale & I am SOOO glad b/c I get obsessive - need to step on it everytime I see it in the bathroom.

I've found the way you feel & your clothing size is a better judge, at least for me. It's better mentally anyway. I can experience a gain or loss from anywhere between 2 & 15 lbs in a 24-48 hr time period. I know it sounds pretty drastic, but it happens. I used to get myself wrapped up in the weight, but now if my clothes fit comfy & I look ok (to myself) in the mirror, then I don't worry. And I listed to my body to see if I feel bloated, bogged down, etc. That easily tells me if I need to adjust my water intake, drink some tea to flush out excess liquid, be a bit more physical, etc.

And remember - muscle weighs more than fat & if you are working out, you may lose fat & build muscle. And there's no one right weight/size that's good for every person. I hate those stupid "If you're xx tall you should be xx weight. It's crazy! People aren't clones.