Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Precipitous 2nd VBAC-- accidentally at home (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433015)

phantomriver 08-17-2012 07:35 AM

Precipitous 2nd VBAC-- accidentally at home

I woke up around 3am or a little after feeling crampy like I needed to use the bathroom which is normal last trimester pregnancy for me. I probably laid around for a bit waking up enough to convince myself that I really had to get out of bed. Again, normal for me. I had been up and down with my teething 2 year old already that night so I really didnít want to get up for going to the potty. So I went #1 and after going I decided that probably I was going to need to go downstairs since I felt a little crampy still like I needed to go #2 and I didnít want to wake up the kids with flushing upstairs. So I went downstairs and had a very normal non-labor like BM had some water, considered making myself a snack. I found myself feeling progressively crampier so I went #2 just a bit more but still just normal poo. So I decided I WAS feeling bad though not like I could feel my uterus getting firm or anything like that, just pressure and crampiness. But, since I couldnít feel contractions with my daughter (Just crampiness that my mom insisted was labor told me to go to the hospital) I decided that this could be labor though likely I would just have the embarrassment of showing up to L&D with gas cramps. So I went back up stairs and told my husband I didnít feel well but wasnít sure I was in labor that was a little after 4am. He timed the first 2 cramps at 5 minutes apart and Iím certain they hadnít been that close prior to me waking him up even though I didnít have a good timing of them. So about 425ish he called his mom(about 15 min away) to come watch the kids and then got dressed and was taking my bag to the car. I decided I should try to use the bathroom once more so I wouldnít have to go during the 30 minute ride and then I was going to put some makeup on (Vain, Sorry) while we waited on my MIL. So anyway, after a brief pee, suddenly the urge to push hit me along with the shock that it wasnít a bowel movement so I tried to hold back and shouted for my husband. I stood up and reached down and could feel the bag and baby was already crowning off just the little half push that snuck up on me. So, I knew that there was no way I could wait until we made it to the hospital. One full push and out he came. Reaching down to clear off his face (with my hand since I didnít even have a towel) I realized it was still covered in the bag so I quickly ripped it off. I had not so much as a bulb syringe readily available. It took him what I felt like was longer than it should have to pink up even though he cried relatively soon and did mostly pink up. We went to the hospital via ambulance. At the hospital the baby was working to keep his oxygen saturation up so they put him on oxygen and took a chest x-ray. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and ended up on oxygen for a couple days and had to run a week course of antibiotics (I think they were extra careful because I was GBS+). Probably he didnít get a good squeeze on the way out. Even though I was born in the hospital, I was born so quickly that I didnít get a good squeeze, quit breathing and was resuscitated shortly after birth so I think it was probably something similar and thank God at least he didnít quit breathing. Anyway, we are back home now and doing great. He was 9lbs 6oz, 21 inches at 38wks 3daysÖnot bad for someone who was told after my failure to induce c-section son that perhaps my body just didnít handle big babies well. My first son (c-section) was only 8.11 and my daughter (1st VBAC) was 9.12.:giggle2:

songbird516 08-17-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Precipitous 2nd VBAC-- accidentally at home

Wow that is super fast! My mom said that my brother was also born so fast that he didn't get a "good squeeze". My son was similar but no transport was necessary. Congrats on your big guy!!

happymama1 08-17-2012 08:21 PM

congrats! I dream of an accidental homebirth vbac....although I've had 2 c-sections and 1 regular birth, so I doubt it is in the cards for me ;)

Super exciting story! :)

Meagan 08-17-2012 08:43 PM

Congratulations hunn! I wish my 10-lber had been an accidental VBAC. Lol... No luck with that. Pictures coming soon?

joeslittlewoman 08-18-2012 05:59 PM

Wow! Congratulations!

shan1212 08-19-2012 08:04 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son, and wow, go mama!

Lilybug1 08-23-2012 09:51 AM

Wow! That's amazing. Sounds great that you were able to labor with all the tenseness and frowning at the hospital, but still must have been scary.

CM6755 08-24-2012 03:46 PM

This made me smile and feel great. Thanks, I need it today.

Foxfiregrrl 10-18-2012 07:32 PM

That's pretty awesome! Congrats! I'm preparing to attempt an HBAC and would love if it would go half that smooth and quickly! :goodvibes:

kfair23 11-06-2012 04:51 PM

Congratulations! Gotta love big babies :) great birth story!