Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ebay/Paypal refund question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433272)

Mamaleah 08-17-2012 08:22 PM

Ebay/Paypal refund question

So I received a package in the mail today from ebay. It was not as described, so I emailed stating that I would like a FULL refund and to just return. Their page says they don't take returns, but luckily they didn't try to say they wouldn't take it back. I know paypal and ebay would just side with me and let me return it anyway.

The question is in regards to the refund amount. The ending purchase price was $36 ($25 for item and $11 for shipping). That is what I expect to get back in a refund. He wrote me back (finally) and stated he would only refund the $25. Shipping cost him $12.54(off the top of my head) and I don't think it is fair for me to be out shipping the item back to him and the shipping he paid to send to me. I have never filed a claim or done a return like this, but from reading other posts on here I think paypal/ebay would make him refund the full $36. Am I right in thinking that?

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone is curious, the item was listed in Excellent condition with a few minor scuffs in a few places (he listed the places). When I opened the package today 2-3 parts were broken and the minor scuffs were more than minor scuffs.

Umm_Ibraheem 08-17-2012 08:26 PM

Re: Ebay/Paypal refund question

If it wasn't as described then it wasn't your fault. Take it up with paypal.

StitchHappyMama.com 08-17-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umm_Ibraheem (Post 15558991)
If it wasn't as described then it wasn't your fault. Take it up with paypal.

:agreed:

JeDeeLenae 08-17-2012 08:49 PM

Take it up with paypal!!! File and put it in the notes that he only offered a $25 refund.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

Mamaleah 08-17-2012 08:50 PM

Yeah, I think I will have to. I was trying to just let him handle it properly by himself without having to file.

Mamaleah 08-17-2012 09:00 PM

I emailed him back and said I want to get this dealt with in a timely matter so I can mail it back (and just get it out of my house). I told him I am entitled to the full $36 and that I know paypal/ebay would say the same thing. I also told him I wanted to try and deal with it ourselves without having to file (but said it in a way he understood I would file if he didn't pay the full amount). I know I would not get the refund until it is back in his hands.

From stories on here I took a video of me opening it and examining it with my phone. I don't know why, but I just had a feeling I probably should. I also feel like I should video myself packing it back up. lol. Just to be safe. I know that if the DC says it is delivered everything will be fine, but I want to be safe (due to all the horror stories I hear).

Hillargh 08-17-2012 10:20 PM

PayPal will make you pay to ship it back, but I've seen people post about eBay returning shipping costs sometimes. So if you do end up having to file, I would also contact eBay and see what they can do about the return shipping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Mamaleah 08-17-2012 10:42 PM

I am willing to go ahead and pay the return shipping...I just want the original shipping back. Or am I thinking about it in the wrong way? If I paid $36, I should get $36 back...right?

JeDeeLenae 08-17-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamaleah
I am willing to go ahead and pay the return shipping...I just want the original shipping back. Or am I thinking about it in the wrong way? If I paid $36, I should get $36 back...right?

Yes. You oreos $36. Say you ship it back for $11, you should get the $36 back. If you go through ebay's resolution center, they may pay your return shipping. This is what happened with me when I bought a crap item. I ended up being out $0.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2012 12:50 AM

You should talk to someone at eBay. Keep all your messages to eachother and get delivery confirmation on the return. I wouldn't mail it back unless I had a written commitment from the seller that they would refund. If you two can't settle on the amount of refund, there is no harm in just setting that up for resolution. You can open the case and check the "item not as described" option and in the notes write that the seller agrees to a return/refund but you disagree on the amount. And leave it for eBay to arbitrate. Having an amicable case open like that doesn't have to be a big deal.