Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Different price, same diaper (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433401)

danielle 08-18-2012 08:33 AM

Different price, same diaper

I've bought a few diapers over time from a HC mama. One was stock, one I supplied the fabric. She recently stocked and my husband saw a certain stocked diaper but didn't know how to buy it. So he told me what it looked like and I emailed her and asked for one just like it. Somehow the diaper in stock fabric is now $5 more because it is considered custom.

Is this common? How do you feel about this? I don't think I like it, it doesn't inspire loyalty in me, but I'm wondering what it's about. Thoughts?

Tami 08-18-2012 08:54 AM

Re: Different price, same diaper

Some WAHM's do charge a custom fee, it's probably not the norm but it's definitely not something shady. More work goes into creating customs considering the correspondence, etc.

Rdesonia 08-18-2012 09:46 AM

If it is in stock diaper... it should not be considered a custom. I have seen an increase of Wahms offering a selection of choices of unmade items where you pick fabric selections etc. I could see paying $1 or $2 more to tinker with their instock fabric & instock snap colors/same design/same sizing but it is not a "true" custom. It doesn't add that much time to the making of the item and customers usually have to wait 2 weeks. I think there is a difference between U pick & a Custom. (If it has the option to add ruffles or appliques... I could see charging more as that does increase time/costs)

TeachinAuntie 08-18-2012 10:03 AM

I'd write back and say, "Oh sorry, I thought it was $x, since that is what it was lsited for last week....I'll pass if its now $x+5"

~Laura~ 08-18-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie (Post 15560604)
I'd write back and say, "Oh sorry, I thought it was $x, since that is what it was lsited for last week....I'll pass if its now $x+5"

:yeahthat:

Mamaleah 08-18-2012 10:21 AM

Yeah. I would tell her I would pass if it is $5 more. I have done a custom before through a WAHM. She would do certain days of sales and have in stock and 3-4 customs slots you could buy. The custom slots was a lower amount than her diapers cost. Then you paid a little more after deciding what kind of diaper you wanted (a sized diaper was $3 more and a OS was $5 more). But the additional money you paid was the same amount you would have paid to buy an in-stock diaper. Does that all make sense? I don't think customs should cost more if they have the fabric in stock and aren't doing any extra work they wouldn't already do to make a diaper. And $5 is excessive IMO. Maybe $1-$2 I would do, but not $5.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 08-18-2012 11:25 AM

to me that is not a custom. Almost everything I make, I make after the customer picks the size, fabric, etc. I do not even charge more usually even if I have to head to town to pick up a different fabric. I do charge extra if the fabric they pick (if I had to go to town to get it) cost more than what I would usually spend, if the size the pick vary greatly from my standard sizes, or if they want any extra bells and whistles.
But just to make an item, that I already have the stuff on hand, and would be using to be making said items with anyways is ridiculous. It may take a little longer to get out because I do not have it in stock, but that would be the only difference.

danielle 08-18-2012 07:39 PM

Thanks. I sent an email expressing my confusion and disappointment. My disappointment is doubly so because I like this mama. I probably should have said nothing. My mistake.

bcarroll9494 08-21-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami (Post 15560379)
Some WAHM's do charge a custom fee, it's probably not the norm but it's definitely not something shady. More work goes into creating customs considering the correspondence, etc.

THIS ^^

IMO, $5 extra for a "custom" sounds high...... but Tami is right, it may be the same process to make the diaper but the extra work/time is true.

When a WAHM makes up a "stocking" all the choices are hers and she can go about the process in assembly line fashion without waiting for anyone to confirm detail desires before she move on to the next step. When you are doing a custom sometimes you have to wait hours or days to get a note back from the buyer about what "X" option they wanted. Spending time answering e-mails can seem little - but I often look up at the clock and notice I've been composing an e-mail for more than 20 minutes or so..... (going downstairs to see if I have X fabric left, or surfing the web for links to included in the e-mail, etc...)

Even if you asked for exactly the same diaper you saw in that stocking (so back and forth emails for details won't be required) ....... your WAHM is still might not have the benefit of doing your project in assembly line fashion with several similar diapers.

My husband once asked me what takes up the most time in my process. He thought I might say cutting or applying snaps...... but I replied, without delay..."GETTING EVERYTHING OUT AND PUTTING IT BACK AGAIN!" So whether I am doing one diaper or twelve, the clean up might be the same! :giggle:
Not all of us WAHMs have fabulous home studios where we can shut the doors on our projects. We have to straighten up the living room or kitchen table, or pile of fabric at the top of the stairs - before the end of the day. :goodvibes:

s@hmommy 08-21-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 15562374)
Thanks. I sent an email expressing my confusion and disappointment. My disappointment is doubly so because I like this mama. I probably should have said nothing. My mistake.

I don't think you did anything wrong. As long as your e-mail was polite I bet she will still work with you on it, especially if it is something she already has.