Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Glue vs. staple closure?!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433737)

romansmommy 08-19-2012 10:19 AM

Glue vs. staple closure?!?

I'm due in Dec. with baby #2 and will most likely be having a repeat c-sec. With DS, my OB used the glue closure method and I healed without any complications and my scar is very small and as pretty as a scar can be. We've since moved across the county and I'm under the care of a new OB practice. At my last appointment I asked what type of closure the OBs in this practice typically use and was told they do not use the glue method and do staples but not to worry because the staples generally are removed before leaving the hospital when you're still under heavy pain medication. When I questioned their reasoning, the OB said they don't have great success with the glue. Not only does the thought of staples terrify me but I've had a few friends who recently have had complications from this method that required re-opening the incision and daily dressing changes for weeks until the incision healed from the inside out (yuck!).

Has anyone ever been able to choose the closure type based on past personal success regardless of the doctors opinion/experience?

What type of closure did you end up with and were there any complications resulting from it?

Is this something worth changing OB practices over?

keen1981 08-19-2012 10:36 AM

I have lots of friends who have had sections within the past 3-4 years. No one has gotten glue. And that's spread out over a huge huge city and 3-4 hospitals. So maybe it's something they are moving away from. We always discuss their healing ect.

mrskfs87 08-19-2012 11:04 AM

I've had three c sections and never had glue used. I had staples the first time, stitches the second and staples this last time. I got my staples removed at two weeks PP, it doesn't hurt, in fact it feels like a relief. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

happymama1 08-19-2012 06:25 PM

Re: Glue vs. staple closure?!?

I had stitches the first time and glue the second time...honestly, I liked the glue better. I can't stand the thought of staples in my already sore incision area!!!

romansmommy 08-19-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happymama1
I had stitches the first time and glue the second time...honestly, I liked the glue better. I can't stand the thought of staples in my already sore incision area!!!

I agree!! The glue was so easy.

png_lovebirds 08-19-2012 08:47 PM

GLUE for ALL 5 OF MINE!!!

TheWhiteRabbit 08-19-2012 08:49 PM

I had glue and it was pretty fabulous. I, personally, would not want staples, and probably would search out a different tOB to avoid them.

bumminbeachbabe 08-19-2012 08:51 PM

I had dissolvable stitches with my c/s.

joeslittlewoman 08-19-2012 09:49 PM

With my cbac the doc asked me if I was ok with staples while in the OR. I said I preferred stitches, and he obliged. So, both sections I had dissolvable stitches covered with steri strips.

thealmightyme 08-19-2012 10:06 PM

I got glued also. There was no issues for me.