Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Possible C-Section (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433785)

Skatha89 08-19-2012 01:18 PM

Possible C-Section

As of right now, I'm 25 weeks pregnant with DS2 and he is breech. He was transverse but flipped the wrong way lol I know he has plenty of time to turn head down BUT I'm preparing for every option (vaginal breech isn't an option for me personally from issues with DS1's birth). I'm a planner and it relaxes me.

What's normal with c-sections? I literally know nothing of them! The last person in my family to have one was my mother 22 years ago, and I'm sure times have changed since than and I'm avoiding googling.

I plan on asking my OB about my hospitals C-Section procedures at my next appointment but I want to know how recovery generally is, what kind of things should I get to help ease recovery? What should I bring to the hospital that would differ from a vaginal birth? I know C-Section mama's are in the hospital longer, and milk takes longer to come in, as of right now I'm still nursing DS1, should I pump when I notice my milk change in case I have issues nursing DS2? I want to avoid supplementing with formula (nothing wrong with it, but personal choice).

I know this is a long post, and I'm sure I'll have more questions but I need to go get DS1 ready to go! TIA!

slimy72 08-19-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Possible C-Section

Hmmm...well, recovery for me was very rough, but for some mamas it isn't. It's very individual. Most mamas on a planned c section get to stay awake, often on emergency they have to put you under. I was a planned csection whose epi didn't work right and they had to put me under. That part was the worst of it, if I have to have one again I will want to stay awake if possible. A belly band, post partum support band is a must. And take a pillow for the ride home. Holding it against your abdomen helps all the bumps in the road. No one told me that and I was in tears by the time we got home. The next summer I had abdominal surgery (not related to the csection) and the nurse told me to use a pillow, worked awesome. She said she always recommends it to csection moms and abdomen surgery, wish she had been my nurse the first round. It really helps you not be in as much pain as you get around. My milk did take a long time to come in, and since I had an 11 and a half lb baby whose blood sugar was all over the place I had no choice but to supplement with formula. Plan to have help at home. Vacuuming, loading dishes, and the washer or anything where you bend or strech is very hard the first month. Don't be afraid when people offer to help to actually give them something to do. I made that mistake. Also, when they tell you don't lift more than 10lbs, LISTEN to them. My baby was over that and they said I could lift him but not in the car seat. I tore my incision because at 2 weeks out I decided to bathe the dog and lifted a 70 lb doberman in to the tub. Dumb, dumb idea. I should have stuck to just the baby, That's all that comes to mind now. Honestly, a csection isn't the end of the world. I thought it was and cried and cried, but now I"m very at peace with it and am not even positive I would attempt a vbac if the conditions were right.

mrskfs87 08-19-2012 01:41 PM

Some moms say the recovery for them was super easy, some do not. I have had three, and I was used to the pain but recovery was worse after each one in their own way. With my first(it was my first ever surgery), I couldn't stop shaking. My son was breech
(frank footling). I was given something to numb me from the chest down, my hands were strapped down and a cover was set up so I wouldn't see them operating on me. With my last two, I was given an epidural. I felt more tugging and pulling than my first. My last c section was the worst, though. I was about to beg them to knock me out because I could feel a lot once they got down into the deeper tissues(plus I could still feel my feet and I'm not sure I was supposed to), and it has been the hardest one to recover from so far. It took a week for my milk to come in after my last one but 5 days after my first and 4 days after my second one.

mrskfs87 08-19-2012 01:41 PM

Sorry, didn't meant to double post!

Ainmemphis 08-19-2012 02:26 PM

I had a scheduled c-section but went into labor early. I had a spinal which I didn't feel because they used a numbing spray and even though I had my arms strapped I was awake and DJ got to hold baby while they sewed me up. I was Also fortunate enough to carry baby to recovery and start nursing right away. I tried nursing every 2 hours whether he was interested or not. I stayed in hospital 2 nights and my milk came in on the third night after delivery. I was sore if I tried standing /sitting too often but I was sure to keep up with my pain meds (did not notice any negative effects on baby) and wore the support brace that I was sent home in 24/7 that really helped!! I was pretty much able to do anything /everything after 2 weeks maybe sooner.

abunchoflemons 08-19-2012 02:27 PM

Side by side nursing helps relieve pressure off incision I hear. U should get at least 8 weeks off for it.

Skatha89 08-20-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks for the replies every one! I will for sure be getting a post-partum support band!

HugeBabyBoy 08-22-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skatha89
As of right now, I'm 25 weeks pregnant with DS2 and he is breech. He was transverse but flipped the wrong way lol I know he has plenty of time to turn head down BUT I'm preparing for every option (vaginal breech isn't an option for me personally from issues with DS1's birth). I'm a planner and it relaxes me.

What's normal with c-sections? I literally know nothing of them! The last person in my family to have one was my mother 22 years ago, and I'm sure times have changed since than and I'm avoiding googling.

I plan on asking my OB about my hospitals C-Section procedures at my next appointment but I want to know how recovery generally is, what kind of things should I get to help ease recovery? What should I bring to the hospital that would differ from a vaginal birth? I know C-Section mama's are in the hospital longer, and milk takes longer to come in, as of right now I'm still nursing DS1, should I pump when I notice my milk change in case I have issues nursing DS2? I want to avoid supplementing with formula (nothing wrong with it, but personal choice).

I know this is a long post, and I'm sure I'll have more questions but I need to go get DS1 ready to go! TIA!

I have never heard "milk takes longer to come in".
I've had 2 C sections, and my milk came in exactly 72 hours after birth with my first and at 41 hours with my second.
Room in with baby & nurse on demand, and your milk should come in no problem. Bring a Boppy! It will be your best friend!! It's good for keeping pressure on the C-section scar when you try to get up.
Good luck!

ETA:
Ask your doctor to prescribe an abdominal binder; this will help give you support, and the bonus is it helps bring you back to pre-pregnancy size quickly.

I also had glue closures, and the scar is barely noticeable!! It also means no trip to have stitches or staples removed.

Plan on cooking a week or two of meals and put them in the freezer. If family/friends/anyone offers help, don't hesitate to take their help.. Ask from meals or help around the house (not to hold the baby, while YOU do these things).

Both of mine were breech babies too!

bigmamakelsey 08-22-2012 11:12 PM

I don't know a lot about c-sections but 25 is very early. Chances are the baby will turn. My last baby was between breech and transverse until about week 30 when he settled down head first:)