Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Measuring ahead?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434310)

Sweetbabybows 08-20-2012 09:21 PM

Measuring ahead??

I'll be 33 wks tomorrow and my last 3 appointments I've been measureing 2 weeks ahead. They want me to go have another u/s to see how big the baby is. I know that u/s can be up to 2 lbs off so I'm not sure what good it really will do but I'll get to see baby again :)

Has anyone had any experience with this? How big was your baby?

mamaerica 08-21-2012 04:40 AM

Last week I was 33 weeks yet measuring 37 weeks. I had a growth u/s done and Baby was supposedly 5lbs, 3oz (60%). I have no idea how accurate that is, though - with my last baby I had a couple of growth u/s, all indicating that my baby was enormous...and he was born weighing 7lbs, 5oz.

my2sweets 08-21-2012 06:33 AM

With dd1 there was a few times I measured 2-3 wks ahead. She ended up being 8lbs6oz. Dd2 measured 1-3wks ahead a few times too and she ended up being 10lbs6ozs.

canadianbakers 08-21-2012 06:44 AM

Re: Measuring ahead??

I've always measured a 1-3wks ahead (although once with DS2 I had a big jump to 5-6wks ahead, along with increased contractions; u/s showed an increase in fluids). Once baby drops, near edd, I end up measuring right on or maybe a week behind.
Babies were:
8lb 4oz
8lb 5oz
9lb 7oz
8lb 14oz

Almacham 08-21-2012 07:58 AM

I always measured 2 - 4 weeks ahead. Two of my babies were average to slightly above average size at birth and two would've been big if they had been carried for longer.

joeslittlewoman 08-21-2012 08:03 AM

I measured 4+ weeks ahead with both of mine. They were 9lb12oz and 8lb11oz.

crunchymom2b 08-21-2012 11:06 AM

Consistently measuring ahead typically isn't an issue. So many factors can constribute and mess up fundal height measurements- position of baby, body fat, amount of fluid, etc. Suddenly measuring several weeks ahead or behind can sometimes be a red flag, but again, positioning etc can be the cause.

Now, I love ultrasounds too, but make sure you know what you're gonna do with the information they give you. If they say you're having a giant baby and will have to be induced early or have a section how will you feel? If you're totally against those things (at least for a big baby being the sole reason) I'd probably skip the ultrasound. It can open up a can of worms. But if you trust your doctors and feel they'll use the information gained intelligently then go for it. Good luck!

melgmom 08-22-2012 02:36 AM

Baby measuring 2 weeks ahead consistently and the head is measuring 3 or 4 weeks ahead but I'm not that concerned because both the hubs and I have large noggins and come from a long line of big babies. The hub was 10lbs at birth and 24inches long. I'm hoping DS is a little smaller but my OB is not concerned so I'm not either.

My_Tree_Grows 08-22-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymom2b (Post 15573001)
Consistently measuring ahead typically isn't an issue. So many factors can constribute and mess up fundal height measurements- position of baby, body fat, amount of fluid, etc. Suddenly measuring several weeks ahead or behind can sometimes be a red flag, but again, positioning etc can be the cause.

Now, I love ultrasounds too, but make sure you know what you're gonna do with the information they give you. If they say you're having a giant baby and will have to be induced early or have a section how will you feel? If you're totally against those things (at least for a big baby being the sole reason) I'd probably skip the ultrasound. It can open up a can of worms. But if you trust your doctors and feel they'll use the information gained intelligently then go for it. Good luck!

:exactly:

Sweetbabybows 08-28-2012 01:04 AM

I had my u/s at exactly 33wks and they estimated she weights 6lbs. I next appt isn't until Thursday and I'll see the Dr not the PA so I guess we'll see what she says. I'm not opposed to doing things (starting at 37 wks) to try and encourage her to come earlier on her own like stripping membranes but I don't want to be induced before 40 wks and will not agree to a c-section based on her size alone. They want to do another u/s at 37wks but I think I'm going to decline that one. I don't see what good it will do and even though I have insurance I'll have to pay for 20%.