Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   gestational diabetes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434770)

hutch87 08-22-2012 07:23 AM

gestational diabetes

Today my doctor's office called and said i didn't pass my glucose test and that I have gestational diabetes..this is my 4th pregnancy but I have never had this before...has any of you!? if so please tell me EVERYTHING you can about it..because I don't have a clue what to expect and a li freaking out!

jenbengtson 08-22-2012 08:50 AM

Re: gestational diabetes

wow they did the test early for you. I hope you can control it with diet.

UmmKira 08-22-2012 09:01 AM

Wow, that is really early testing! Was there a reason they did it so early?

I was able to control mine with DD2 with diet. I just watched the carbs and simple sugars, and found that I could offset some of those items with protein and veggies.

I think if you can't control it with diet, there is a pill to help the blood sugar stay in the normal range, but I didn't need that so I don't know much about it.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

bumminbeachbabe 08-22-2012 11:03 AM

Have your older children been "large"? I know with my last pregnancy they had me do a one hour at 6 weeks because my oldest was over 9 pounds.

MrsStripe 08-22-2012 02:23 PM

I don't have answers for you, but my Dr. is having me do one soon also. I don't have it scheduled yet, but I think I'll be doing it next Saturday the 1st.

4dramamama 08-22-2012 02:29 PM

No experience or advice. Just hugs. :hugs:

melilo 08-22-2012 05:38 PM

Which test did you take? Could you take the three hour one just to be sure? Sometimes you can be positive on the one hour test, but negative on the three hour. Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine...depending on the severity you can probably manage it well with diet.

canadianbakers 08-25-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe (Post 15577715)
Have your older children been "large"? I know with my last pregnancy they had me do a one hour at 6 weeks because my oldest was over 9 pounds.

Really? I've never heard of that before! (not that I don't believe you, but that it's interesting. :) )

bumminbeachbabe 08-25-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers

Really? I've never heard of that before! (not that I don't believe you, but that it's interesting. :) )

It was ridiculous. There's nothing more cruel than making a woman who already felt like throwing up do that test. Even more ridiculous because I didn't have gd with my "large" baby. Some of us just make them big.

It actually made me so mad that I switched to a birth center immediately. I don't know if it's just their office policy out something a lot of docs do.

canadianbakers 08-25-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe (Post 15591420)
It was ridiculous. There's nothing more cruel than making a woman who already felt like throwing up do that test. Even more ridiculous because I didn't have gd with my "large" baby. Some of us just make them big.

It actually made me so mad that I switched to a birth center immediately. I don't know if it's just their office policy out something a lot of docs do.

Yup, I can't think of a worse test with m/s than having to drink that stuff :yuck:!
I don't understand why they don't seem to get that babies come in all shapes and sizes - just like the rest of us! :)