Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Tried Baby-led Weaning? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434936)

Samantha313 08-22-2012 01:19 PM

Tried Baby-led Weaning?

My LO will be 5months tomorrow. I've been giving him Earths Best baby cereal and he DEVOURS two bowls a day. I know I should' e waited if I wanted to try BLW but he acts so hungry and I was worried about giving him anything but cereal at only four months (digestive reasons). I made homemade "mush" for my DS1 and he's a picky eater at 3 1/2 yrs. I'm wondering if BLW will help in the long run. And it sounds super easy! Except that I'll be panicked over choking the whole time. Any advice would help! Thanks!

Leighmpalmer 08-22-2012 07:47 PM

Re: Tried Baby-led Weaning?

ITs actually very easy and practical. Just start with "solids" that can mush between your fingers fairly easily --- like bananas, sweet potatos, avocado. Give it shaped in long thin rectangles -- easier to hold and bite off. Don't sweat it if they dont actually eat a lot to begin with - all of the nutrients will come from BM or Form. for the first year. Just try to remember every thing under 1 is just for fun!

We've been BLW since she was 6mo and have loved it. She eats everything we do, just in differnet sizes. We have spaghetti and meatballs, chicken quesadillas, ham and cheese sammies, etc.

I also highly recommend checking out the BLW cookbook. It's got some great starter recipes that can be applied to your family dinners. Great resource! Also try some blogs like tinygrazers.

As for choking, make sure you are CPR trained in general. Just use common sense and don't leave your baby unattended while eating!

laura1982 09-13-2012 12:43 PM

Can you post a link to the BLW cookbook? Never heard of it!

lovelyday 09-26-2012 01:45 PM

Maybe this one?

amazon.com/The-Baby-Led-Weaning-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/161519049X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348688506&sr=8-2&keywords=Baby+led+weaning

I am interested in BLW also & just ordered this book through my library :)

c&rmom 10-04-2012 09:56 AM

This is the book that gives you the basics: (I am not allowed to post links yet, so go to amazon and google baby led weaning gil rapley)

Here's the author's website that has a bunch of information: rapleyweaning(dot)com

BLW is REALLY fun and great for photo ops! About your choking concern, the book explains that babies don't have the ability to push large chunks far enough back in their mouth to choke, so when it sounds like they're gagging, they are actually just pushing the food to the front of their mouth so they can get it out. I think that's the basic idea, so no need to fear choking (though it's always scaring to hear your baby gagging). The first few times it happened with us, I was afraid, but tried to stay calm and my babies have always been able to push the food out, so I'm a believer :)

organicmama10 10-20-2012 11:03 PM

I mustered up the nerves several months after DS started eating solids. I like the concept and will definitely pick up the book and learn more!

Esmerelda_RB 10-27-2012 09:45 AM

It's not too late! We did purees for a couple months, then got the BLW cookbook from the library. Now we're starting on that. We all (husband, baby, and I) like BLW sooo much better than feeding purees. She's learning to eat real people food now!