Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Another circ question since it's already brought up (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14351)

jls~Kain~Drake 06-14-2006 01:49 PM

Another circ question since it's already brought up

Both my boys are circ'd...if I had it to do over again, I'd choose NOT to circ..I also don't want any flaming as I thought I'd made the best decision at the time. With that said..

My 28 mo old has always been on the larger end of the spectrum forchildren of hisage..like 90-98%iles in height & weight. Also, his circ was the type that only required vaseline & gauze for a few days. His penis is always "hiding" within the skin. Not exactly like an uncirc penis, but pretty darn close. Would this likely be because of his weight or because they left too much skin? I had asked the doc about it when he was roughly 6-8 wks old and he said it was his weight and he'd quickly grow out of it? By no means am I worried about this...and definitely wouldn't get him "re-circ'd"...just curious if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Now my 9mo had the kind with the ring...and he's swollen & irritated alot...looks to me like it was botched. Like they left too much skin on top and not enough on bottom...looks scarred. At ped appts, nothing isever addressed...but i don't think the doc really looks at the penis as much as the testicles to make sure they're normal. I don't like my ped anyway...just wondering if anyone is familar?

SheilaJoy 06-14-2006 01:57 PM

Re: Another circ question since it's already brought up

I have a nephew who was very chunky as a toddler, and his penis would almost disappear inside itself, even though he was circ'd. He did eventually grow out of it. I know someone else whose son's circ was botched, and his mom had to bring it up with the drs and get it redone (it's still not completely normal but it's better).

If you are changing peds, I would definitely bring up the second issue at the first appointment.

keegans_mommy 06-14-2006 02:00 PM

My little Nate didn't have enough skin taken off so he looks almost un-circ. just the very tip is showing. I don't know if that is what you are talking about.

SheilaJoy 06-14-2006 02:03 PM

oops double post.

iris0110 06-14-2006 02:35 PM

I just wanted to ask for a bit of clarification, is the penis hidden in skin, or more like pulled back into his body? I ask because there is something called hidden penis that happens in some little boys. The fat pad at the pubis is big enough to essentialy swallow the penis. This isn't a problem at all, it is just something that happens. They do usually outgrow it, but I don't remember at what age. This happened with my nephew, but he also had a botched circ and lots of other problems along with it. Now if the penis is hidden by skin I don't really know. As long as he isn't having problems though, I don't think I would worry much about it.

With your second son I don't know. My ds1 also had the plastibell, and I have to say that the scarring is awful. I think they quit doing this type because of that. I don't know if the steriod creams would help him or not. But you would have to ask the ped about it. Is he having any pain with it?

myajdw 06-14-2006 04:21 PM

both my sons were done with the bell, the first one it was all fine. the second i told them it wasn't complete and they argued with me, told me it was probably b/c of a fat pad right there (even though he was always in like the 10th - 20th for his weight, skinny baby). then i finally switched peds when that skin started to reattach during so much as a one hour nap! it was botched but there was no way at 5 months i was letting them complete it. for a few months we went through a lot of having to unattach it (this was never painful to him) and used lots of a&d and vaseline (to help it NOT reattach itself, whether or not it helped i don't know but the ped said to do it) and deal with minor infections (when it would reattach, from urine and or poo being in his dipe when it would happen). he's now almost 3 and we haven't had problems for a long time now, the end still hides halfway to 3/4 way in it's shell most times and we just take care of it like an uncirced that's not attached right now. we're now having our 3rd boy and even w/ds2 having those problems dh is still insisting on circing. i couldn't be more frustrated, i didn't believe in it in the first place but whatever i guess....
one of those fam disaggreances that came with marriage and babies, my fam does NOT circ and his does. blah.

jls~Kain~Drake 06-14-2006 05:29 PM

So until I get to a ped about the 2nd issue, would there be any harm in keeping vaseline or a&d on it? there aren't any long-term usage warnings for those, are there? Oh, and he's been in the 20-35th percentiles for weight too...so i wouldn't think a fat pad....but i guess stranger things have happened. Also, he doesn't seem to be in pain like if I wipe his penis..he doesn't wince or cry, but he does NOT like to have his diaper changed. He doesn't like a soiled diaper, but cries when I have to change him. I don't know if it's just because he doesn't want tolay down for his diaper to be changed or if he's experiencing any discomfort and wants everything to be left alone.

Oh and to clarify..ds1's penis isn't sunk into his body, just hidden in the skin..like uncirc'd, but with less skin.

iris0110 06-14-2006 05:50 PM

Well I think on your ds1's circ I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe just a loose circ and as long as it doesn't bother him I wouldn't bother with it. If it is just the skin then it will seperate as if he weren't circed and he will grow into it. If it bothers him in the future see a dr about it. There are steroid creams and stretching exercises incase he should have problems with adhesions later.

As for ds2, I don't think there is any reason not to use the A&D until you can get to a Dr about it. I do definately think that if it is inflamed and such you should see a dr though. Is it possible his skin is just reacting to something in the diapers? Just a thought that occured to me and thought I would ask. I don't think it is weird that he cries about diaper changes, both of my boys have done that starting around 6 months. They just don't want to stop moving to get changed.

rebeccah5 06-14-2006 06:24 PM

My DS has the same issue. He's almost 2 months and that's one thing I was going to ask the ped about. My aunt used to be a ped nurse for longer than I've been alive and I asked her about it. She said that sometimes the foreskin tries to "reattach" itself and that you need to pull it back at every diaper change and be sure to keep it clean. She said that if you don't do that, it could possibly grow that way permanently. But I had posted a very similar question to yours at DiaperPin and a few mommas told me that it had to do with their weight and the fat pad. So I'll see what the ped says...

jls~Kain~Drake 06-14-2006 06:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!!