Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Give me your best tips about travelling with kids. Bonus for tips about Disneyland! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435381)

corinne76 08-23-2012 02:06 PM

Give me your best tips about travelling with kids. Bonus for tips about Disneyland!

I did it! I booked our flight to California! It's not until May/June next year but boy am I excited!
We are going with my BFF and her BF and 2 kids. They have been to Disney recently, but this is my first trip in 5 years and my kids' first trip.
DD will be 5, DS will be 2. Her kids will be 3 and 1.

I need tips on EVERYTHING. From flying and what the heck to do about car seats to things we must see in Disney. We are planning on getting the city hopper pass so we're doing Disney/Califormia Adventure 3 days, Universal 1 day and Sea World 1 day. We will most like hit up Legoland and Knotts Berry Farm. We arrive Satuday morning and leave the following Sunday evening.
:goodvibes::lostit::lostit::lostit::lostit:

Bhavana 08-23-2012 02:54 PM

Re: Give me your best tips about travelling with kids. Bonus for tips about Disneylan

http://mousetalestravel.com/

They assist you free!

jamie714 08-23-2012 03:01 PM

Well I cannot get bonus points for Disney land tips buy I have flown with little ones by myself several times. Mine were really little like baby and toddler while I was pregnant. I had a carry on bag full of snacks and activities to keep than busy. Etch a sketch, paper with crayons, paper with stickers, silly putty and newspaper, small puzzles, books..... As for car seats I just checked mine with the luggage and buckled my odder in and held baby. I also had a stroller. I don't know of you will need that or not but if you do you can take it all the way to the plane door and they will have it set back up for you by the door when you get off the plane. Also something I learned last time was if you are traveling alone with small children they can give someone a pass just to get them through security so you can have help until you get on the plane. That is about all I have. Have fun in your trip I'm excited for you.

corinne76 08-23-2012 04:28 PM

Re: Give me your best tips about travelling with kids. Bonus for tips about Disneylan

thank you both!
I haven't gone anywhere since my honeymoon, and that was to another island in Hawaii. Like seriously a hop skip and a jump 30 min plane ride. I'm super excited. I love Disneyland and haven't been there since I was 15. And DD will LOVE it!

Fairycat 08-23-2012 05:30 PM

That is going to be a good amount of driving as the cities are pretty far set apart. I would try to use as many car seats as you can on the flight.

On my Nook so will try to give more info later, for Disney I can offer a lot if info. There are some great places to stay off site in walking distance. Plan to arrive to the parks early and you can get so much done. May/June has good weather, but check Grad Nights to make plans on which nights to be at Disney. Learn about fast passes. There are lots of great rides
for kids, but realise Snow White and Pino. Can be too scary for most kids. The baby care center has great changing tables, and toddler toliets, there is one in each park. If kids need to run off some energy, I love the playgrounds that you can find in each park.

Got more specific questions feel free to ask. Ignore my location Ds has visited Disneyland Ca over 50 times, along with two other Disney parks :)

lanwenyi 08-23-2012 06:43 PM

We go to Disneyland once or more a month. What questions do you have? I can answer just about anything.

As for flying, does your younger one have a ticket?
If yes, use both carseats on the flight (unless your older child is in a booster, no harness, in which case, carry that one on and stow it).
If no, put your older child in her carseat on the flight and bring baby's carseat to the gate. Ask the gate agent if there is an open seat and if you could have it for your baby. If possible, use the baby's seat on the flight. If not, gate check the baby's seat. You will need carseats for both in CA. If your DD will ride in a booster, but could fit FFing in your baby's seat, put her in the seat FFing on the plane and carry on her booster. Convert the seat back to RFing mode for baby when you arrive in CA.

Other tips for flying:
Bring lightweight, easy to install carseats if you have them (we love our avenues for flying)

Bring TONS of snacks, but be aware of the 100ml (3oz) rule. You can bring some juice/milk, but TSA is inconsistent abt how much they'll let you take through.

Bring empty sippy cups to fill with water/juice/milk on the other side of security

Electronic babysitters are lovely for flights (we use iPod Touches), set aside any TV/movie limits for the flight (everyone around you will appreciate it). Bring kid-friendly headphones (airline headphones, if provided, are still terrible).

Bring novel toys (new or forgotten), we wrap them to make them extra special (TSA may unwrap if they feel the pkgs are "suspicious", but it has never happened to us)

Wear baby (makes boarding easier), but also bring a stroller (great "stuff"-carrier and nice if you end up with a long delayed flight)

Don't forget snacks for you (grouchy mama means a rough flight)

Have fun and try not to stress. Enjoy your vacation!

corinne76 08-23-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairycat (Post 15584272)
That is going to be a good amount of driving as the cities are pretty far set apart. I would try to use as many car seats as you can on the flight.

On my Nook so will try to give more info later, for Disney I can offer a lot if info. There are some great places to stay off site in walking distance. Plan to arrive to the parks early and you can get so much done. May/June has good weather, but check Grad Nights to make plans on which nights to be at Disney. Learn about fast passes. There are lots of great rides
for kids, but realise Snow White and Pino. Can be too scary for most kids. The baby care center has great changing tables, and toddler toliets, there is one in each park. If kids need to run off some energy, I love the playgrounds that you can find in each park.

Got more specific questions feel free to ask. Ignore my location Ds has visited Disneyland Ca over 50 times, along with two other Disney parks :)

THanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanwenyi (Post 15584549)
We go to Disneyland once or more a month. What questions do you have? I can answer just about anything.

As for flying, does your younger one have a ticket?
If yes, use both carseats on the flight (unless your older child is in a booster, no harness, in which case, carry that one on and stow it).
If no, put your older child in her carseat on the flight and bring baby's carseat to the gate. Ask the gate agent if there is an open seat and if you could have it for your baby. If possible, use the baby's seat on the flight. If not, gate check the baby's seat. You will need carseats for both in CA. If your DD will ride in a booster, but could fit FFing in your baby's seat, put her in the seat FFing on the plane and carry on her booster. Convert the seat back to RFing mode for baby when you arrive in CA.

Other tips for flying:
Bring lightweight, easy to install carseats if you have them (we love our avenues for flying)

Bring TONS of snacks, but be aware of the 100ml (3oz) rule. You can bring some juice/milk, but TSA is inconsistent abt how much they'll let you take through.

Bring empty sippy cups to fill with water/juice/milk on the other side of security

Electronic babysitters are lovely for flights (we use iPod Touches), set aside any TV/movie limits for the flight (everyone around you will appreciate it). Bring kid-friendly headphones (airline headphones, if provided, are still terrible).

Bring novel toys (new or forgotten), we wrap them to make them extra special (TSA may unwrap if they feel the pkgs are "suspicious", but it has never happened to us)

Wear baby (makes boarding easier), but also bring a stroller (great "stuff"-carrier and nice if you end up with a long delayed flight)

Don't forget snacks for you (grouchy mama means a rough flight)

Have fun and try not to stress. Enjoy your vacation!

Both kids have a ticket, DS will be 2 by then. DD will be 5.5 so she may be fine in a backless booster for the trip. It would make things easier. We have Britaxs, so I need to look for a cheap seat for DS. My mom and dad bought a Evenflo for DD, I will check the exp date on that one.

Does she need to sit in a car seat on the plane? She's a skinny thing but she's tall

lanwenyi 08-24-2012 12:13 AM

If she's riding in a booster on the other end, she's fine in just the airplane seat/seatbelt for the flight.

According to many CPSTs, for many kids, plane belts won't fit right until 40lbs.

However, I've flown many times with my 4yo 33lb DD and while the fit isn't perfect, it's good "enough" (touching thighs, not fully up on the stomach, and def tight enough). If I was having my DD use a booster on the other end, I'd have no issues putting her in just the plane belt. (We don't do that b/c we have a CARES and an RSTV, but I would be ok with the fit).

corinne76 08-24-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanwenyi (Post 15585647)
If she's riding in a booster on the other end, she's fine in just the airplane seat/seatbelt for the flight.

According to many CPSTs, for many kids, plane belts won't fit right until 40lbs.

However, I've flown many times with my 4yo 33lb DD and while the fit isn't perfect, it's good "enough" (touching thighs, not fully up on the stomach, and def tight enough). If I was having my DD use a booster on the other end, I'd have no issues putting her in just the plane belt. (We don't do that b/c we have a CARES and an RSTV, but I would be ok with the fit).

She's just about 40 lbs now and pretty tall. She will probably still be in the Frontier in our car, as DS will still be RFing in the convertible car seat.
But then again if we don't carry on the booster, where would I put it?
I asked my friend what she's doing, and she will put her 3 y.o in the seat without a car seat, and carry on her 12 month old. I don't like it, but arguing with her gets no where so I'm just going to worry about my kids for now.

Edit: what should i do about strollers? Im sure dd would get tired doing all that walking. We have a joovy sit n stand that would need to be checked and a single chicco that may fit on the plane. I could wear ds when dd wants to sit. Or i could leave both at home and rent a stroller.

Fairycat 08-24-2012 06:59 AM

Having a stroller in the airport for the kids or carseats can help a lot. I did use a stroller at WDW and DLRP, but I hardly used one in DL, as I love my carrier. The nice thing is most rides will allow you to ride with the child in a soft sided carrier (no Mobys though on a few rides), which is great if you can get them to nap in the carrier. We often had DS napping in his.

For the plane, I also suggest special activity bags for every kid. I would get a bag and pack it with small snacks, some favorite small toys, some activity toys like things to color, and a few cheap brand new toys as well. Don't let the kids see what is inside until you are on the plane. Doing this has helped a ton on our long flights.