Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Just annoyed and frustrated re: potty training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435499)

Harmony96 08-23-2012 07:08 PM

Just annoyed and frustrated re: potty training

Yay, I'm going to have two in diapers again. :/

I didn't do EC with my DD, and she was probably 3.5 before she would tell me that she needed to go potty. I DID to EC with my DS (albeit part-time and a timing-based method) but he never lost the ability to release on request (although if I didn't take him often enough then he would be wet, which happened and still happens quite frequently). He's 34 months old now and never tells me that he's gone, either #1 OR #2, much less tells me if he has to go. I take him regularly throughout the day, but he has absolutely NO pattern so if I don't happen to have him on the potty when he happens to need to go, then he'll just go in his pull-up.

With DD, even after she was dry all the time no matter when I'd take her, it was still a good half a
year or more of me initiating all potty trips before she started sometimes taking herself. And now with DS, it doesn't help matters any that he doesn't have the motor skills to even pull loose-fitting pants up and down by himself (and I can forget about him climbing onto the potty). Having him naked is NOT an option because if he's anything like DD was, he'll just go wherever he is and not even care about it. We have a yard now but being outside naked isn't an option either because it's still so hot.

I'm just frustrated that, AGAIN, I'm going to be spending 18 months or so potty training, even though I did things differently this time (EC'd more). *sigh*

Harmony96 08-24-2012 10:21 AM

Re: Just annoyed and frustrated re: potty training

Gah, I give up. Today's been bad. I'm getting diapers next time I go to the store. At least they'll be cheaper to go through than pull-ups. :/

3 ladybugs 08-27-2012 05:17 PM

I saw your thread on the parenting section. I don't come here much because I taught my son at 21 months and he will be 4 years old in less then a month. I would recommend the way we went though. We used the 3 day pt method. It didn't take us just 3 days, it was more like 2 weeks but he was trained and with a few minor accidents here or there he has stayed that way. I found out that I just needed to be more stubborn then DS when it came to this thing. That way I "win".

Good luck!

kushie tushie 08-27-2012 05:22 PM

Andrea, I had to come find your thread. How old is DS? I jusr started putting DS in undies. At first he peed in them a lot but he got used to being dry and started going to the potty.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

doulamomma 08-27-2012 05:22 PM

Have you thought about putting him in cloth diapers/trainers. So its more noticable, and bothers him more when he goes?

Sent from my droid

Harmony96 08-27-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15601491)
Andrea, I had to come find your thread. How old is DS? I jusr started putting DS in undies. At first he peed in them a lot but he got used to being dry and started going to the potty.

He'll be 3 in October.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 15601494)
Have you thought about putting him in cloth diapers/trainers. So its more noticable, and bothers him more when he goes?

Except for the last several months, he's been in cloth his whole life (and not a fancy pocket diaper with a liner that wicks away the moisture... we just do plain old prefolds here). He doesn't care. :(

kushie tushie 08-27-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony96

He'll be 3 in October.

Except for the last several months, he's been in cloth his whole life (and not a fancy pocket diaper with a liner that wicks away the moisture... we just do plain old prefolds here). He doesn't care. :(

What does he do if you leave him naked? In the beginning DS did really well just being naked but put anything on him and he peed in everything.

ambieone 08-27-2012 05:42 PM

I can semi-relate. My ds turned 3 in April. For whatever reason (up until today) he doesn't tell us when he needs to pee. He's been pooping in the potty since before his
3rd bday and will tell us when he needs to poop. I have been able to gage when he usually will need to pee. Its about an hour after he has a drink that he'll need to go, so I just take him. Today for the first time, he told me he needed to pee twice. Later, he went about 3 hours in between going so I took him potty because I didn't want him to forget. There have been times that he'll just pee where he is sitting. I've had him in underwear since his 3rd bday too, with minimal accidents.

I wish there was a way to get them to tell you when they need to go but there isn't......it will come eventually! I know thats not what you want to hear but thats how I'm finding it to be.

Harmony96 08-27-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15601559)
What does he do if you leave him naked?

Pees wherever he's standing. :banghead:

kushie tushie 08-27-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony96

Pees wherever he's standing. :banghead:

Ugh thats frustrating. Maybe he really isnt ready? :headscratch:
I didnt really except that with DS though. It was just time to learn and we trucked though. Not sure which is your style. Hopefully someone has so good tips for you.