Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Hiring a doula (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435563)

My_Tree_Grows 08-23-2012 10:59 PM

Hiring a doula

I live in a very small town. There are no midwives and one doula, but she and I have a working relationship on natural birth projects for the community, so I wouldn't feel comfortable with her seeing me during labour and birth.

I'm aware of two other local women with an EDD within the same week as me, so competition for any outside doulas willing to travel here could be an issue (competition for outside midwife support is also fierce but thankfully I got in).

Sooo...when would you start to seek out potential doulas in surrounding cities, given those limited resources?

You Tell 'Em 08-23-2012 11:32 PM

I'm always one to start looking as soon as possible. I like to have everything lined up, planned and able to have one less thing to try to do later. I've already spoken with a friend/doula and I've already hired a birth photographer. :blush: There are a bunch of birth doulas here but many book up fast, so the sooner the better--- especially if there is "competition". ;)

jackobeano 08-23-2012 11:37 PM

Re: Hiring a doula

I would say to look now. I always call the midwife I've decided to use almost right after finding out just to make sure I get in before there's an overflow.

blushingmommy 08-23-2012 11:42 PM

Now. LOL I don't think it's ever too early, and most doula's will be in contact with you through your pregnancy anyway. I happened to stumble upon my doula towards the end of my pregnancy, but even without "competition" if I were to get pregnant again I would secure my doula early on.

808mamaof3 08-23-2012 11:45 PM

I agree to looking now too. FX you find a great match! :)

Madame Medina 08-25-2012 09:23 AM

Does your midwife have a doula or two that she works with on a regular basis? If so that's were I would start looking.

My_Tree_Grows 08-25-2012 09:32 PM

Thanks, all, for your feedback! No, midwives here in Ontario, Canada are regulated and free of charge just like doctors, so it's a bit different than what a midwife often represents in the US; they don't recommend specific doulas, for example, as that's an unregulated profession (I know there's DONA and CAPPA, but anyone can actually call themselves a doula since parents pay out of pocket). :) I appreciate the thought, though! I did find 1 DONA certified doula and 1 working towards her certification who will travel to my town and have sent inquiries to them both, based on what you have all said. :thumbsup: