Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How many oz a day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435735)

TwinKristi 08-24-2012 01:47 PM

How many oz a day?

My new daycare baby is going through more milk than her mom seems to be producing. This is her 3rd day and she's had over 11oz in less than 4 hrs. I'm trying to do 2.5-3oz bottles to avoid wasting it. She only drank 2.5oz on Wed before her nap so I had to toss the other remaining oz and it kills me to do that! Yesterday it was 8oz, Wed is was 9oz. She's only here about 5hrs and mom brings 8oz but today she's well exceeded that. I have about 12oz in the freezer for her, 9 is she goes through another bag before mom gets here. Mom is stressing out that she's not going to be able to keep up. I recommended to try pumping on the opposite side while she nurses at home and hopefully she can get in a couple extra sessions over the weekends. She's going to ask her Ped today. She's 6mos BTW and not eating solids yet.

shortcake2386 08-24-2012 01:50 PM

Re: How many oz a day?

mackenna is 2 months and 7lbs 7 oz and eats 3.5-4 oz every 2 hours. its pumped milk. ive heard that when they hit 6oz they go longer between bottles but idk bc my others took it from the tap. i would think she would need more than 7-8 oz in that time frame though....

Connor 08-24-2012 01:54 PM

If she's there for 5 hours then 5-7.5 oz is enough for her. Make sure Mom is nursing right before she drops her off and when picking her up.

A bottle is easier to drink from and most babies will happily gulp down much more than that if allowed, however it isn't needed. A slow flow or premie nipple is best. It should take 20 min to drink 2-3ozs.

shortcake2386 08-24-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15587602)
If she's there for 5 hours then 5-7.5 oz is enough for her. Make sure Mom is nursing right before she drops her off and when picking her up.

A bottle is easier to drink from and most babies will happily gulp down much more than that if allowed, however it isn't needed. A slow flow or premie nipple is best. It should take 20 min to drink 2-3ozs.

is there anything slower than evenflo nb slow flow nipple?

katydid6952 08-24-2012 02:27 PM

my daughter is 2 months and drinks 5 oz of breastmilk every 2-4 hours.....but she is also sleeping through the night most nights.

Liadan23 08-24-2012 02:45 PM

can you not throw the extra away? omg i would FREAK if my dcp threw any extra away! i know you're not allowed to feed again from that same bottle. but i've been to several different dcp, and they will all put whatever's left back in the fridge and give it to me at the end of the day. as they put it "we can't feed it to her. but we don't know what you do with it when you go home. who's to say what's in the bottle?" i guess mom would have to decide if she's comfortable with that. i understand why they have those regulations for daycares, but in practice, as long as it gets chilled back down quickly, it's just not a huge deal to reuse. at least, not for me.

11oz in 4 hours is a lot. are you sure she's hungry every time you feed her? my baby is still very unsettled in her new daycare and so she tends to cry a lot, and my dcp keeps feeding her, even though she's probably just unhappy and/or tired. she also won't take a pacifier there, and i can't figure out why. but she probably just needs to suck and is soothed by that. also, i've noticed that a lot of people lay a baby down to bottlefeed them, and the milk just POURS out of that bottle. we even have slow flow nipples and i just observed my sister doing this the other day (i'd had to have some medication and couldn't nurse for 24 hrs). my baby was swallowing tons of milk, frantically trying to keep from drowning, but everyone else in my family thought i was nuts for telling her to sit her up. if the baby is sat up, and the bottle is tipped just enough so that the baby isn't sucking air, they tend to eat a lot less and closer to what they need.

at 6 months, my ds would have only needed 1 bottle in that timeframe, with about 6-7 oz in it. dd is 3 months drinks 4 oz, and would probably drink 2 bottles in that time, but leave some leftover in both bottles.

Liadan23 08-24-2012 02:45 PM

can you not throw the extra away? omg i would FREAK if my dcp threw any extra away! i know you're not allowed to feed again from that same bottle. but i've been to several different dcp, and they will all put whatever's left back in the fridge and give it to me at the end of the day. as they put it "we can't feed it to her. but we don't know what you do with it when you go home. who's to say what's in the bottles you bring us tomorrow?" my understanding was that they did it for all the moms who brought breastmilk. i guess mom would have to decide if she's comfortable with that. i understand why they have those regulations for daycares, but in practice, as long as it gets chilled back down quickly, it's just not a huge deal to reuse. at least, not for me.

11oz in 4 hours is a lot. are you sure she's hungry every time you feed her? my baby is still very unsettled in her new daycare and so she tends to cry a lot, and my dcp keeps feeding her, even though she's probably just unhappy and/or tired. she also won't take a pacifier there, and i can't figure out why. but she probably just needs to suck and is soothed by that. also, i've noticed that a lot of people lay a baby down to bottlefeed them, and the milk just POURS out of that bottle. we even have slow flow nipples and i just observed my sister doing this the other day (i'd had to have some medication and couldn't nurse for 24 hrs). my baby was swallowing tons of milk, frantically trying to keep from drowning, but everyone else in my family thought i was nuts for telling her to sit her up. if the baby is sat up, and the bottle is tipped just enough so that the baby isn't sucking air, they tend to eat a lot less and closer to what they need.

at 6 months, my ds would have only needed 1 bottle in that timeframe, with about 6-7 oz in it. dd is 3 months drinks 4 oz, and would probably drink 2 bottles in that time, but leave some leftover in both bottles.

seacat 08-24-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 15587633)
is there anything slower than evenflo nb slow flow nipple?

Playtex Ventaire is slower. The slowest is Dr. Browns with a premie nipple, but the nipple is horrible for a BF baby. Technically its enough milk, but in order to keep baby content it may not be. DS2 is 8 months eats minimal solids and takes 20 oz while I'm gone for 8 hours. I am blessed that I am able to supply that for him. I can't imagine leaving a care provider with just barely the right amount - hard on everyone. I think you've done the right thing by talking to her about it and recommend extra pump sessions last thing at night first thing in the morning. :Hugs: to all.

As something of a lactivist I hate to mention supplementing, but if mom inquires about it I would make sure she knows that she's doing an awesome job and it doesn't make her a failure if she has too.

seacat 08-24-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liadan23 (Post 15587871)
can you not throw the extra away? omg i would FREAK if my dcp threw any extra away! i know you're not allowed to feed again from that same bottle. but i've been to several different dcp, and they will all put whatever's left back in the fridge and give it to me at the end of the day. as they put it "we can't feed it to her. but we don't know what you do with it when you go home. who's to say what's in the bottles you bring us tomorrow?" my understanding was that they did it for all the moms who brought breastmilk. i guess mom would have to decide if she's comfortable with that. i understand why they have those regulations for daycares, but in practice, as long as it gets chilled back down quickly, it's just not a huge deal to reuse. at least, not for me.

You can't reuse unthawed or heated milk. I would be really mad if our nanny put the heated or thawed milk back in the fridge to be reused. I've chucked bottles with 4 oz in it because its been heated. Your kids safety and nutrition should always come first over the fear of having to supplement or not being able to supply enough milk.

hpfgirl 08-24-2012 03:14 PM

My dd is 3 months. I nurse her at 4 or 5 in the morning and don't get back to her until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. We usually don't nurse again until 6 or so. That's 12-14 hours between sessions and she takes about 16 oz at daycare.

General guideline is that they need an once per hour, but remember you might be feeding her for several hours before or after she's in your care.

I know it makes my dcp nervous, but it's totally okay with me if the baby is starving when I get there. I would rather nurse her than have to pump more.