Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So I have GD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436097)

Joyful Tie Dyes 08-25-2012 01:39 PM

So I have GD

and my MW is going to let me "try" diet though she thinks I will need oral meds "at a minimum". If I go on meds I lose my last chance at a birth center water birth. I know all that matters is a healthy baby but I am just crushed. Last time I ended up in the hospital for an induction due to pre-e. :cry::cry:

Agla 08-25-2012 01:42 PM

I'm sorry. Do you think you can really be militant about your diet? I was on the verge of being put on meds and I was able to to turn things around. When I say militant I mean weighing, measuring, testing blood sugars.

It is worth a try in order to have the birth you want.

Joyful Tie Dyes 08-25-2012 01:45 PM

Re: So I have GD

I have no problem with trying I am just SO lost in what I can and cannot eat

Agla 08-25-2012 01:49 PM

I'm pming you right now.

Also post a typical meal and we can chime in how it could be tweaked.

Van1300 08-25-2012 02:11 PM

I have it too, though mine in mild and diet controlled. Just eat protein with your carbs. Like nuts and cheese with fruit. Eat whole grains and green leafy vegetable. Walk for 30 minutes after every big meal. If your fasting sugars are high in the morning, set a timer and drink a glass of milk in the middle of the night.

You can do it! I had an induction and a c-section too. And I'm having another one. I know there are a lot of crunchy mammas on this board, but a healthy baby is all that matters!

Joyful Tie Dyes 08-25-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agla (Post 15591997)
I'm pming you right now.

Also post a typical meal and we can chime in how it could be tweaked.

Thanks.

For lunch I usually eat turkey on whole wheat wrap (6 grams carbs) with lettuce, cheese and mustard with carrots and water. Usually gives me about 106

The other night I ate low carb pasta with homemade pesto (basil, garlic and parm and olive oil) and a salad and my 2 hour number was 138 :(

For a snack I usually have grapes with cheese or rice cake with pnut butter (8 grams carbs)

I have no issues with eating veggies but eating meat everyday is a struggle. I'm not much of a meat eater at all. I was told no rice, no potato, no crackers, no chips. Pretty much nothing but meat and veggies.

They are not happy that I've lost weight but I have NO idea where I am supposed to get enough calories.

songbird516 08-25-2012 05:37 PM

If you don't like meat, try eggs, preferrably free-range since they are the most nutritious. Egg yolks are the best part to eat; whites are not nearly as important. They contain a huge amount of fat-soluble vitamins and cholesterol which is so important for brain development of the baby, and should have a negligible effect on blood sugar.
Here is a good article
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ption-to-birth

Two-under-two 08-25-2012 05:47 PM

Feel free to PM if you would like. I just went through this with my DS who is now 2 mos old. I was able to control my GD with my diet, I was put on a 2200 calorie diet, and checked my sugars 4 times a day. I would have had a natural delivery had I not been induced (I was way past my due date, and my Dr. didnt want baby to get too big). I am still considered diabetic, since my sugars have not returned to normal. I was very devastated when my Dr. told me I was GD, I didn't know where to start with my eating habits either, but you can do this!!

Agla 08-25-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes

Thanks.

For lunch I usually eat turkey on whole wheat wrap (6 grams carbs) with lettuce, cheese and mustard with carrots and water. Usually gives me about 106

The other night I ate low carb pasta with homemade pesto (basil, garlic and parm and olive oil) and a salad and my 2 hour number was 138 :(

For a snack I usually have grapes with cheese or rice cake with pnut butter (8 grams carbs)

I have no issues with eating veggies but eating meat everyday is a struggle. I'm not much of a meat eater at all. I was told no rice, no potato, no crackers, no chips. Pretty much nothing but meat and veggies.

They are not happy that I've lost weight but I have NO idea where I am supposed to get enough calories.

Ok the serving size on the pasta (was it dream fields) is 56g. That is a small cereal bowl not even filled to the top. Also if you used a prepared dressing there might have been carbs in that. Also the little bit of cheese will not be enough of a protein to keep your sugars in check.

I know it is a lifestyle change. I was not protein centered at all.

I'm actually glad they are worried about your weight. My first ob/gyn was congratulating me for losing weight while pregnant and it really made me angry. He hadn't asked how I felt or looked at the rest of my chart. I was trying to have a healthy baby not win a beauty pageant.

I found I could not tolerate much fruit. Nuts became my friends.

Also look at your days as a whole. Look for trends. Are you skipping snacks and then having high sugars?

Start repeating meals that seem to work. This may make your menu monotonous but will hopefully keep your sugars steady.

I was surprised that I found it hard to eat often enough or enough in some cases. There is learning curve. You can do this. Even if you try and end up on meds you'll know it was because your body truly needed assistance.

finleyjudemommy 08-25-2012 07:08 PM

Milk in the middle of night for high fasting BS? I'm confused???