Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   No prenatal care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436103)

achickadeeandme 08-25-2012 12:59 PM

No prenatal care

I am a healthy 35 yo women trying to get pregnant with my second child. With my first pregnancy during the U/S they found a "defect"with my pregnancy . Then proceeded to give me a list of all the things my baby could have wrong. They offered every genetic/ prenatal test possible and ordered me to have weekly fetal heart monitoring and weekly U/S. I was a wreck my whole pregnancy. Other than being born a few weeks early he had none of the defects they said he could have. Here we are 8 years later and I am a completely different person. I eat naturally/ organically ( we have an organic farm) my family sees a ND and we treat things naturally. I am very intune with my body and feel completely at peace with the pregnancy process.. We are planning a homebirth. Is it wrong to avoid prenatal care? I don't want tests and ultrasounds this time around. I just want to enjoy bring pregnant. Having said that if I was having ant difficulties I would go see my Dr. I just want to be pregnant. I don't want to be poked prodded, scanned, examined or touched....,

evasimone 08-25-2012 01:11 PM

Re: No prenatal care

I suggest you try a midwife and homebirth. I think its the best of both worlds, just make sure she is on board with what you want to do and don't do.

My midwife doesn't require an u/s but does encourage one at 18 weeks. She does one set of lab draws also to make sure iron is okay. After that all she does is take my BP once per visit, dip my urine and track my weight. But she lets me weigh myself and she always waits until we've been talking, on her couch at her house for about 20 minutes to take my BP so that I am not tense.

For the baby she feels my tummy, listens with a fetoscope and does a doppler so I can hear the babies heart beat.

Also she doesn't do the nasty gestational diabetes test with glucola. She has me eat a normal breakfast and meet her within an hour and she checks my sugar. She thinks that test is bad for mother and baby and gives a lot of false positives.

I think its great and the best of both worlds. My pregnancy and childbirth isn't being over medicalized but I am getting appropriate prenatal care. Also I should mention she's a CNM which I think I am super lucky to have found. Most CNM are similar to OBs but mine is pretty crunchy and I love it.

bigmamakelsey 08-25-2012 01:14 PM

I have home birth myself, but honestly I feel that prenatal care is very important, especially out of hospital. I think you'll find your experience with a home birth midwife is very different than it would be with an OBGYN in the hospital. The prenatals are really non invasive. There were only 2 appointments where I got my finger poked. No blood drawn, no ultrasounds, no genetic testing. Every appointment I would get my pee checked, my weight taken heartbeat listened to, BP taken, and my belly measured. We would chat and I'd ask questions and that was it. I didn't even have a pelvic exam until I was 36/37 weeks.

dannic 08-25-2012 01:16 PM

Do you have a midwife on board? Or are you having a UB? I homebirth as well, and I do a one time bloodwork. At each appt, I check my BP and pee sticks and weigh myself; we listen to the heartbeat on a doppler and my belly is measured.
Most midwives are so not invasive. I opt out of U/S, but many just do the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. MW does a finger prick instead of glucose testing. I don't do any pelvic exams; haven't even needed one in labor.

You can even do most of your own prenatal care (get an accurate scale, the pee sticks, a doppler, ect...) I am sure mamas on a UB forum could help you with that...

Midwives will want to have prenatal appts, usually, to check those non ivasive reg. things, but also to develop a trusting relationship. I love my appts with my MW! She is one of my best friends when I am expecting.:thumbsup:

It is such a different shift from even the CMN whom I saw at a BC with DS1; She was very medicalized and my appt was no different than with an OB.

KaleidoscopeEyes 08-25-2012 02:02 PM

i chose to do an unassisted PG with DD and this one as well. while seeing an OB i refuse all the tests anyway so basically they would only be doing my vitals and checking for HB which are things i can do at home. other things like testing for protein in the urine is something i could also do at home if i chose to.

Hungry Caterpillar 08-25-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15592211)
i chose to do an unassisted PG with DD and this one as well. while seeing an OB i refuse all the tests anyway so basically they would only be doing my vitals and checking for HB which are things i can do at home. other things like testing for protein in the urine is something i could also do at home if i chose to.

But, are you and have you avoided all types of prenatal care? I assume you have to because of the due date confusion. I had asked you this is another thread because your siggy is completely confusing :)

At what point will you seek outside assistance? Aren't you curious how far along you are?

Sorry to hijack, OP, but I think the answer will kinda go with your question.

JennTheMomma 08-25-2012 02:09 PM

Prenatal care is important, and unless you know what you're doing in terms of self prenatal care or you know what the signs are of complications in pregnancy with your or baby, I think it's best to have a care provider. I homebirth myself, I use a Midwife, I don't do the tests that most OBs offer. While I could do my own prenatal care, I feel it is best to have another MW do it as well. My prenatal appointments consist of talking about what I want birth to be like, how I feel in pregnancy, urine test, blood pressure, using a fetoscope and palpatations of baby. All those things I can do myself, but it's good to have that extra pair of eyes/hands/ears.

KaleidoscopeEyes 08-25-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 15592225)
But, are you and have you avoided all types of prenatal care? I assume you have to because of the due date confusion. I had asked you this is another thread because your siggy is completely confusing :)

At what point will you seek outside assistance? Aren't you curious how far along you are?

Sorry to hijack, OP, but I think the answer will kinda go with your question.

not too much. i figure the baby will get here when it does. since im having an unassisted birth i have not sought out prenatal care from an OB or midwife. i have done my own limited prenatal care that i would allow a professional to do. im not sure at this point even going for an U/S would give me an accurate date since late term U/S are very inaccurate.

my friend who has laywife training has palpitated me and has determine that the baby is head down.

Mamatoabunch 08-25-2012 02:37 PM

Doing your own prenatal care is an option. It isn't that complicated and you can decide what you want and what you do not want. Being in tune w/ your body is one of the first steps IMO. Listen to your inner voice, it is a good guide.

songbird516 08-25-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 15592231)
Prenatal care is important, and unless you know what you're doing in terms of self prenatal care or you know what the signs are of complications in pregnancy with your or baby, I think it's best to have a care provider. I homebirth myself, I use a Midwife, I don't do the tests that most OBs offer. While I could do my own prenatal care, I feel it is best to have another MW do it as well. My prenatal appointments consist of talking about what I want birth to be like, how I feel in pregnancy, urine test, blood pressure, using a fetoscope and palpatations of baby. All those things I can do myself, but it's good to have that extra pair of eyes/hands/ears.

I agree. It's not all-or-nothing. You can have a care provider and still make all of your own decisions. I had a midwife last time and opted out of almost all testing (I had my iron levels checked), no cervical checks unless I asked, and no interference during labor. Find a care provider that you can trust, do your own research, and you'll feel much better about your pregnancy.