Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Resources for quick vegetarian meals? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436680)

laura1982 08-27-2012 08:38 AM

Resources for quick vegetarian meals?

Anyone have good resources for easy, quick, vegetarian meals? I tend to do a lot of pasta, stir-fries, and curries, but want some options that are not so carb-heavy. :) I'm willing to use dried beans (so quick is a bit of a stretch) but need a little creativity in regards to ideas. Thanks!

Mama*Kim 08-27-2012 09:25 AM

We're big soup eaters here. I tend to turn to soup a lot if I can't decide what to make.

goMamaMel 08-27-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Resources for quick vegetarian meals?

Vegetariantimes.com has a massive database of vegetarian meals.

As far as the beans, I like to soak a big batch of beans overnight and then cook them the next day, then if i dont think i'll use them within the week I freeze them in seperate containers. That way when i have a meal i want to use them for i can pull them out of the freezer and they are ready to go!
I'm not strictly vegetarian but i rarely cook with meat, so beans tend to be included in most of my meals. One of my favorite recipes is:
3 Bean Salad
3C of a variety of cooked beans (ex: black, pinto, kidney)
1C Corn (frozen or fresh)
2 Peppers chopped into pieces (ive used red, anaheim, pablano--whatever you have)
Red onion chopped
Scallions

2tbs Apple cider vinegar
2tbs olive oil
1t cumin
1t chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Sautee the veggies on med-high to get a slight browning. Add veggies to beans in large bowl. Whisk together the dressing. Mix it all up!
i've found it keeps for a week in the fridge.

Also if you like curry, this recipe is simple & quick and you don't even need any carbs to make it taste yummy. Just the sauce over veggies.

I make black bean & cheese tacos at least once a week. Seriously the easiest meal ever. Tortillas, black beans, cheese, & anything else you have that would go with it-- salsa or tomatoes, avocado, leftover brown rice, hot sauce, sauteed onions-- they're popular around here.

divabeadz 09-03-2012 12:57 PM

we were meat eaters until 6 months ago so I tend to cook all the same things I cooked with meat, but substitute a variety of veggies where I'd normally use meat. For example, what used to be chicken enchiladas, I will cook up a handful of brussels sprouts, radishes, a 1/2 of a zucchini, yellow squash, onions, garlic, and whatever leafy green I have on hand (like spinach or kale) and continue the recipe as usual without the chicken. Same thing for chicken-less pot pie. I follow the Paula Deens Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie recipe.

My go-to easy recipes are sushi with whatever raw veggies we have on hand, pesto pasta or hummus wraps.

ETA: i forgot to mention, another favorite is risotto, which can be done with whatever you're feeling like. I love a porcini mushroom risotto filled with lots of mushrooms, we also love asparagus risotto in the spring, but you can do it with carrots or squash, whatever is in season.

Mrs.stephens2010 09-05-2012 08:41 PM

Check out The Gracious Pantry. It's a clean eating blog, but she has plenty of great simple vegetarian recipes.

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-15-2012 12:11 AM

Oooooh check out Oh She Glows! My Sil turned me on to her and her recipes are really innovative and fun and soooo yummy! She's vegan and we aren't even vegetarian but still she has great ideas that I like to add nutrient density to our diets!

Tammygirl24 09-18-2012 12:27 PM

Oh She Glows is great! Have you ever tried Chef Chloe? Her stuff is pretty easy to make and even my meat eating husband likes her stuff.

Just Ducky 09-18-2012 08:00 PM

Check out the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. They havea ton of vegan recipes.

But as a general rule, I find that what works best is to take a conventional recipe and modify it. I can turn just about anything on Food Network's site into a vegetarian or a vegan dish, and the results are, imo, much better than trying to use a vegetarian or vegan recipe.