Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Why are you a minimalist? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436924)

laurettabear 08-27-2012 05:47 PM

Why are you a minimalist?

I have really been pondering this question a lot for myself lately, and am just curious what other people have to say. Why are you a minimalist and how would you describe your downsizing philosophy?

Darkfyre 08-27-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Why are you a minimalist?

So many reasons I want to be minimalist. (The spirit is willing but the flesh is tired)
First and foremost, a clean uncluttered minimalist space brings me peace and makes me happy. Clutter in my space makes me crazy.
I also think a minimalist mindset is good for the environment. It makes me really think before buying 'stuff'. It also means that I am cleaning things out and putting them back out into the world for others to use instead of buying new.
I also think that having less stuff saves time and work on my part.

I just need to dig in and get the job done.

rawheid 08-27-2012 08:13 PM

For me it started with being just tired of the mess. Now that i'm working on it, I'm just liking the freedom and peace that it is giving me. I'm hoping that it will help me to speed up the cleaning so that I can move on to the important things, like spending time with the kids and maybe doing a craft for me every now and then.

dagmomma 08-27-2012 08:34 PM

Many reasons

1) I have never been a collector of things. Except sneakers when I was in my teens and 20s--I guess all shoes really. Not anymore though!

2)Growing up our house was always a mess and there was always an excuse--The house is to small, the family is to large, What if I need something if I got rid of it? (This was my mom). Dad use to just get out garbage bags and start jucking things and then that would start fights (parents never really fought but this was always a good one. Dad never won) My mother is still the same way. She collects diet books now it use to be unicorns--I have a hatred for those mystical creatures.

3)I liked things organized and DH is even more organized. It is so much easier to be organized and to dhs standards with less things.

4) we are always moving. You know how hard it is to move pointless stuff? It is so annoying and the last thing that gets unpacked when you get into your new home. And by that point you do not have a place for it.

5)Cleaning is so much easier. My daily routines really only consist of laundry and dishwasher and vacuuming every couple of days. Everything else is pretty much done bc everything is in its place. All the bedrooms are spotless bc clothes are in closets and drawers and toys are not storred in the childrens rooms. Playroom gets picked up everynight sometimes midday. The children know exactly where everything goes and if I put it in the wrong spot they correct me. My children are very neat and hate messes too. This means less work for me.

Dh and I decided a couple years ago to get rid of a Ton of stuff. We were 2 adults coming in as one and we both had enough stuff each for a lifetime. We downsized everything. Dh keeps things immaculate so it was harder to get rid of his things and to justify to him that just bc it is kept nice doesn't mean you need it or will need it. But eventually he did. I can not even begin to tell you how much stuff we got rid off and how much stuff we could probably part with and we never had clutter anywhere we lived.

photocat 08-27-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfyre (Post 15602270)
So many reasons I want to be minimalist. (The spirit is willing but the flesh is tired)
First and foremost, a clean uncluttered minimalist space brings me peace and makes me happy. Clutter in my space makes me crazy.
I also think a minimalist mindset is good for the environment. It makes me really think before buying 'stuff'.

Yeah, what she said. Stuff everywhere makes me anxious.

5PrincessMommy 08-27-2012 11:49 PM

I am not a minimalist...yet! But it's a process I am working towards. Basically, I want less stuff b/c the less stuff I have, the less stressed I am, the less time it takes to clean, and the less money I spend. WIN!

redsonja 08-28-2012 04:46 AM

I'm not a minimalist yet, but I'm trying to be! I mainly do it for two reasons 1. stress and 2. environment. The clutter stresses me out to no end, it makes me anxious, and cranky. Also, in my quest to be friendlier to the Earth, it has prompted me to question my habit of consumption. You can't consume relentlessly and care about the planet, those two things just don't go together.

Also, my MIL is one of those Hoarders that should be on TV. I feel like she is always choosing her stuff over her grandkids, and I NEVER want my family to feel that way. I refuse to go to her house, it's really terrible.

clothlover8 08-28-2012 05:55 AM

Same reasons as pps really. Clutter and mess makes my headspace all wrong - I feel like I can't breathe and think straight - the less "stuff" I have to look at the better I feel - lately this has even gone right down to patterns - I like white now - plain white or neutral colours, I find them calming and soothing. I have had some postnatal depression and OCD and I think there is so much going on in my head that I need my environment to be calm and it calms me down.

Environmental - It just astounds me to think of all the "stuff" being produced everyday and shipped around the world - where is it all going to end up?

Along with this comes my need for more natural, simple things in general.

More stuff equals more stuff to organise, pick up, clean, sort, store etc, we are a large busy family that loves doing things outdoors so we dont want to spend a whole lot of time dealing with bits and pieces.

Numommy 08-28-2012 05:56 AM

I am not a minimalist, but I admire them. Clutter makes me crazy, maybe it was the raising...

But the biggest reason is I suck at cleaning house, and my husband has to have the house sparkling.
So minimalism saved my marriage.
:)

wordbox 08-28-2012 07:04 AM

Yeah, I'm another in the not a minimalist camp... but my goal is a decluttered, organized, tidy, simpler home.

Basically, I am realizing how much clutter affects my moods. I hate when I feel like we can't have people over, or how I feel/felt when people dropped by unexpectedly. It's nice seeing clear spaces in our house.

Our children are one of my biggest motivators. I want our kids to be able to play freely and not be weighed down by stuff. I want them to be able to find the toys or supplies they are looking for. In the future, I want them to be able to bring friends over and not feel embarrassed. I want them to develop good habits. I want them to find value in experiences, not stuff.

I don't hoard, but I do find myself buying too much, shopping too often (retail therapy!), and getting emotionally attached to things. I would like to work on that, and I'm definitely getting better since I started the decluttering journey.

I also don't want to be a slave to our house. Less stuff means less cleaning. A simplified home and home routine will give me more time with my family. And I'll be more willing to let them make messes and have fun when I know it will be easy to get back to normal.