Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   help my homemade Christmas! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437043)

gghmommy 08-28-2012 06:32 AM

help my homemade Christmas!

I need help with ideas for ages 2-4 boys and 4yo girl, a 12yo girl would be nice, too! Anyone with some great idea, for the 2-4 ranges, they got "art folio's" last year - a big hit! So what for this year??? thanks!

RockinLou 08-28-2012 07:59 AM

Re: help my homemade Christmas!

dress up costumes? felt and crochet toys? I love to browse Etsy for ideas... and toy catalogs! I made beanbags for DD a few years ago, I want to do that again this year, it was super easy, but they were left behind in a move.

Mama*Kim 08-28-2012 08:54 AM

I made DS1 a "car wallet" last year before a trip and he loved it. It folds out with a little road for the cars and has a couple of pockets to store cars. He also loves felt food. My 4 year old niece likes the felt food too. Last Christmas, I made her a fabric doll house that she seemed to enjoy. This year, I think I'm going to make her a set of "cloth diapers" and a sling or other carrier for her favorite doll. She's very into her babies lately.

For the 12 year old, what is she into? If she's into sports, maybe you could make her a new sports duffle. If she's a girly girl, maybe a purse or makeup case. Or check out Pinterest for some recipes for things like sugar scrubs, bath bombs, etc.

newdsmomma 09-03-2012 06:35 AM

First, I would LOVE to see pics of the art portfolios (and maybe a quick description of how to make them???). I have an artist niece and depending on how hard it is/how long it takes to make them, I may have found her holiday gift!

Second, ditto on the little car carrier. I LOVE that idea too! Did you have "road" fabric, or did you applique that on?

Finally, I agree with the play food ideas and here are a few other ideas:
1. superhero capes (2-4 boy/girl)
I just made one of these upcycled from a solid colored baby blanket with a Superman logo "S" appliqued on it and now my kids are fighting over it, so I see another one of these in my future!

2. PJs in the kids favorite character/theme (all ages boy/girl)

3. matching snack bags/cloth napkins for lunch boxes (all ages boy/girl)

4. appiqued t-shirts with their favorite theme (all ages boy/girl)
I made a sushi shirt for my son and niece that is pictured on this forum elsewhere

5. slippers (all ages boy/girl)
I make these from the Robeez-like patterns you get online and do applique work on them and my kids love them. My best ones were some blue suede Cookie Monster slippers I lined with black sherpa

6. Drawstring bags for legos, playmobile, etc. sets
I sometimes match the theme of the playset to the fabric for added fun. I just bought my nephew some superheros legos for his birthday and plan to make a little bag to carry the pieces by upcycling a spiderman t-shirt

7. upcycled wool sweater mittens/hats/scarves/bags (all ages boy/girl)

Addicted2Chocolate 09-03-2012 01:23 PM

Wow, these are some fantastic ideas. I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this thread.

babycat42 09-03-2012 01:29 PM

The boys 2-4 super hero capes and masks and dolls that have super hear capes and masks.
girl 4 doll clothes
12 yr old girl purse or slippers maybe some flannel pj pants

4ShoreRN 09-03-2012 02:39 PM

A purse for the 12yo or anything bath/make up related. For the younger kids ask the parents what they are obsessed with at the moment. Like my 2yo is obsessed with anything with buttons he can push or wheels ie cars, trucks, airplane. You could always go practical for the little ones by getting them something that they need. At 2 and 4 they aren't going to complain because you got them socks.

divabeadz 09-03-2012 05:58 PM

last yr I made my (then) 2 yo a felt playhouse and I got her a dinosaur cape

opheliaspins 09-03-2012 08:02 PM

I love the tradition some people do of making pjs for everyone..and you open them up xmas eve and then wear them xmas morning. :)

splatz 09-04-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opheliaspins (Post 15633923)
I love the tradition some people do of making pjs for everyone..and you open them up xmas eve and then wear them xmas morning. :)

We have always done this! Minus the making them part... I probably couldn't pull that off. haha