Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Update in OP ~~ Newborn constantly rooting around for food? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437070)

badmisterkitty 08-28-2012 08:01 AM

Update in OP ~~ Newborn constantly rooting around for food?

Update: We couldn't handle the misery the poor guy was in so we took him to the ped. Got a lucky spot with the gastro ped. Did both an ultrasound & an upper gi. Maybe a little overkill but the boy had progressed to projectile vomiting.

Of all things, doc thinks the kid is just hungry and to go ahead & feed him on demand to help his tummy grow. And then we can try nutramagen if nothing improves. I'm glad we took him. We might not have gotten a direct answer but the Dr was a class act and was reassuring.

We're also going to try a new bottle. And just try to tolerate the puke launching. Yuck.
Original:

Okay, so the little man is here. He'S 4 days old and cant seem to decide if he's a happy baby or not.

I feel a little silly asking since this is our 3 rd kid but he constantly is rooting around for food. He's over eating because feeding him is the only thing seems to calm him....for a little bit. Pacifier works for a bit but when push comes to shove he'll go on for 5 6 hours till his poor belly finally stops hurting. Or at least that's my theory.

Would we benefit from a swing? Any other advice to offer on a baby who thinks he's hungry all the time?

ETA he's formula fed. That is surely an important detail.

danielle 08-28-2012 08:32 AM

No advice, just congrats!

AnimalHouse 08-28-2012 08:35 AM

Re: Newborn constantly rooting around for food?

How much does he consume at one feeding session, and how often is he eating?

DS3 has severe GERD, and would overeat to make his throat feel better... is your LO showing any signs of reflux or silent reflux?

keen1981 08-28-2012 08:42 AM

Eeeekkk! Sorry momma, I thought you were nursing him. So I deleted and will rewrite.

Time for a paci. You can certainly overfeed at this age and teach him to then require that over stuffed stretched out tummy..

badmisterkitty 08-28-2012 09:27 AM

I've never dealt with reflux. He isn't overly spitty when he eats 1 to 2 ounces every couple hours. But stretch to that 3rd ounce and he will puke up quite a bit. Tthen want more.

Who knows. Maybe today will be different. Hes just 4 days old after all.

He isn't crying nonstop for hours, just seems to be content for a bit then ravenous again. He occassionally has a non crying wake cycle where he just looks around. He poops & passes gas like a champ. :)

AnimalHouse 08-28-2012 09:50 AM

At 3 days old, a baby's stomach capacity is about one ounce. If he does fine with 2 oz, but 3 oz makes him puke, I would stick with giving him 2 oz, and feeding him more often, KWIM? Babies have a strong urge to suckle, so he may just want to suck, and not actually eat, after those 2 oz. I would definitely try a pacifier, and see if that helps.

Congrats on #3, by the way!

Alikhlas 08-28-2012 10:24 AM

Maybe try a super slow flow (like preemie) nipple so he can suck longer but get the same amount of milk

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

escapethevillage 08-28-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alikhlas (Post 15604342)
Maybe try a super slow flow (like preemie) nipple so he can suck longer but get the same amount of milk

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

That's what I would do.

Plus, put him in a sling, upright, his chest to yours. Try with his legs in like a frog, if that makes it worse, try with his legs straight down and flat against you. (or a wrap if you have one)

Then, keep giving him a pacifier while you are wearing him.

abunchoflemons 08-28-2012 10:58 AM

Well if bfing normal to get milk in but I would limitformula & try swing or wrap. My second loved the swing & would nap 4 hours on end. It was nice but then she got big & bouncer not help unless in shower.

badmisterkitty 08-28-2012 12:47 PM

A couple other details I should add. He's 10 pounds. I can see where he'd be hungry. Secondly, the hospital only had simulac but we only had good start at home but the ped thought that would be ok to switch without transition and now I'm regretting that decision because he was fine in the hospital. But then aren't most babies fine in the hospital?

Where can a person get preemie nipples?

He's more or less upright all the time. Almost everything seems to calm him for a few minutes. But he'll go on & on for hours without so much as closing his eyes.