Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Possible to actually *ruin* diapers?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437379)

FbksMama 08-28-2012 08:46 PM

Possible to actually *ruin* diapers??

I think I have. : (

We have Bummis prefolds and BG AIO's. My son was mostly fine for a whole year when washing at home. I only had to strip them once. But then we moved and no washer so to the laundromat we went. Maybe 4 mos. washing at the laundromat and he kept getting really red on the end of his penis and butt sometimes. Once we were out of town and it got so bad it was blistered. Put him in sposies and 24 hrs later it was totally gone!

Since then we have done every kind of soak/strip imaginable. And now using a diaper service and they have done various soaks/strips as well. 3:1 vinegar soak numerous times, banking soda rinses, bleach, boiling water, sunning....etc. Diapers are definitely better than they were but several changes in cloth and he starts to get red weiner again. : (

I'm so so frustrated. We currently use sposies half the time but I don't want to. Is it possible that those months at the laundromat actually ruined the diapers?? I really don't want to buy all over again...took us a while to accumulate our working stash. He is soooo much better in sposies but I don't like it for all the reasons you're familiar with. Cloth is supposed to be better but it's not!!

keen1981 08-28-2012 08:48 PM

I fon't think
It's the diapers, but
More your sons sensitivity has changed. Why not use liners and rash cream?

Alikhlas 08-28-2012 08:59 PM

Maybe he needs the stay dry that sposies provide? TrY fleece liners over the pf.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Funky Birdie Boutique 08-28-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Possible to actually *ruin* diapers??

I feel ya mama, my dd has a wicked blistered, giant hole, bleeding rash and no matter what combo of fleece and creams i do with cloth, I am finding sposies are doing the trick :/ grrrr...

FbksMama 08-28-2012 10:24 PM

But doesn't the fleece in the pocket diapers do essentially the same thing as a fleece liner??

FbksMama 08-28-2012 10:25 PM

How old is she and how long did you CD?

qsefthuko 08-28-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FbksMama (Post 15607759)
But doesn't the fleece in the pocket diapers do essentially the same thing as a fleece liner??

I don't use pockets or fleece liners. However I would think they would work the same. Is it possible baby is reacting to the fleece? Can you try using just cotton prefolds and see how he reacts to that.

m&m&m 08-28-2012 10:39 PM

I would try a prefold (or handtowel if you don't have any) and lay it in the pocket diaper on top and see how that does. It could be a sensitvity to the fleece/suedecloth. Also, this may be tmi but it could be from his penis rubbing against the diaper when erect.

mypeanut09 08-28-2012 11:01 PM

I'm thinking it could be a material sensitivity or needing stay dry as well. If you're using fleece, try suedecloth liners. If you're not using either, try adding one.

nonipie 08-29-2012 01:38 AM

I have heard of some LO having a suedecloth sensitivity so maybe try cutting out the BG and adding a fleece liner to the prefolds.