Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Argh! I just don't understand! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437753)

IowaGold 08-29-2012 08:35 PM

Argh! I just don't understand!

DD spends 2 days a week at my mother's house and 2 days at my MIL's house while I'm at work (about 12 hours away from me each day). The other days I have her and EBF. She gets bottles of expressed milk at the grandmas' houses. Today I ended up having to take her to work with me because MIL canceled on short notice. I already had 3 bottles made that needed to be used today so I decided to bottle feed her at the office. Explain to me why, in the same amount of time with no nursing, that DD took 12 ounces from me (and she wasn't holding out for the breast, she actually prefers bottles), while she takes at least 18 ounces from the grandmas!! This is of course a rhetorical question and will continue this way until we have to put DD in a real daycare. Oh well, I guess my pumped milk costs less than actual daycare.

BuckeyeHokieMommy 09-25-2012 07:05 PM

Re: Argh! I just don't understand!

smart little babies...they know difference when mommy is feeding her vs. someone else! :)

loni1090 10-07-2012 04:32 PM

I know in the case will my DS, when someone else watches him, they just keep feeding him when he cries. Plus, they always get a bottle ready for when he cries, so sometimes it gets wasted. Where when I take care of him, I will always have milk ready. And sometimes he doesn't want to eat, just wants comfort. So Yes, the baby knows his momma lol!

Meganeliz9 11-13-2012 12:26 PM

I only give my care providers enough expressed milk for the day--no extra. I think they don't like having zero cushion, but I can barely pump enough to keep up with that. I figure if there is a problem (like a growth spurt where he's crying out of hunger all day) they will call me. Other people always assume crying= hunger and it's almost always something else.

Nerissa 11-16-2012 11:38 AM

I would guess they are responding to the crying and thinking she is hungry when in reality she just may need a diaper change.

Does she take a paci that they could try if she just wants to suck for comfort?

my DD is a big comfort sucker either breast or paci.

keen1981 11-16-2012 11:46 AM

People over feed because they think crying equals hunger. That's rarely the case after bottle feeding the appropriate amount. The bottle force feeds and doesn't meet the needs of a breastfed babies suck drive. Grandmas are the worst. LOL. For real!! Haha!!

IowaGold 11-16-2012 12:54 PM

DD is in "real" daycare now. She was doing pretty well (taking 3 ounce bottles), then suddenly was getting 2 bottles at once. So I made ANOTHER thread complaining about *that*! She was around 6 1/2 months at that point and we had started solid food at home. Once I started bringing food to daycare, things evened out again at around 3 oz. Heck sometimes she prefers the food and hardly takes the bottle at daycare...