Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flip diaper...best insert??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437784)

amanda_lynn86 08-29-2012 10:38 PM

Flip diaper...best insert???

I just purchased 6 flip diaper covers and no inserts. I was thinking of using prefolds with them but not sure what would work best. I would love to hear what others are using and how they work for them. I would like a trim fit but also absorbent. I was going to use a cheaper prefold but will that give my baby a rash? Would it be a good idea to also use a piece of fleece over the top of the prefold? Would the stay dry insert be a better option? With the stay dry insert it seems by looking at it that the poo would leak into the cover often. Does anyone use liners in their diapers? I was wondering if using a liner would cause a rash. Sorry so many questions I am fairly new to cloth diapering. I have a 2.5 year old boy and only cloth diapered him once in while. I am expecting a little girl in 4 weeks and would like to have everything ready to go before she gets here. Do these diapers fit a newborn well? Thanks so much!

lynn97 08-29-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanda_lynn86
I just purchased 6 flip diaper covers and no inserts. I was thinking of using prefolds with them but not sure what would work best. I would love to hear what others are using and how they work for them. I would like a trim fit but also absorbent. I was going to use a cheaper prefold but will that give my baby a rash? Would it be a good idea to also use a piece of fleece over the top of the prefold? Would the stay dry insert be a better option? With the stay dry insert it seems by looking at it that the poo would leak into the cover often. Does anyone use liners in their diapers? I was wondering if using a liner would cause a rash. Sorry so many questions I am fairly new to cloth diapering. I have a 2.5 year old boy and only cloth diapered him once in while. I am expecting a little girl in 4 weeks and would like to have everything ready to go before she gets here. Do these diapers fit a newborn well? Thanks so much!

I prefer the Flip organic inserts but my DS is a HW...they are probably overkill for most kids. I would try plain prefolds or flats. I don't like the stay-dry inserts, personally. You can use liners but you don't have to. I would try them without first. I don't think the Flips would work well for a newborn at all. I have heard of others who used them but they didn't fit my DS until he was 3-4 months old and around 14 lbs. They were actually one of the last OS diapers to fit him. Grab some nb covers if you want to CD your DD when she gets here :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

warrensmama83 08-29-2012 11:06 PM

Re: Flip diaper...best insert???

I have and love them. I use regular indian prefolds, and it works just fine. Baby is 6 months and I never have a leaks, even overnight.

vivid 08-30-2012 01:53 AM

I like how trim the stay dry inserts are. But I also use regular infant size prefolds in my Flips. You are better off with prefolds or flats in there, I think. They can be folded wider so baby doesn't touch as much exposed PUL. And when they are wider they shift less.

I have found that no matter what insert or prefold I have in there poop gets all over the cover. It's unavoidable in my opinion. But you have 6 covers so just throw it the cover in the wash with the insert when that happens. I have 6 covers too and it worked out just fine for us.

Flips did NOT work on our baby as a newborn and she was born at 8lbs 4oz. They didn't fit well for us until she fit into size 2 disposables. I didn't know they wouldn't fit well so I didn't have any newborn cloth diapers for her.

Mama to a small little Bean [b. 4.2.12]

memmerrill 08-30-2012 05:51 AM

I have used prefolds and flats with success in flips. I add a hemp babies for my toddler overnight.

amanda_lynn86 08-30-2012 08:07 AM

thank you all for your help:)