Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Diaper Stink Survey (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437790)

BeccaSueCongdon 08-29-2012 11:20 PM

Diaper Stink Survey

For those with persistent stink issues, I'm curious;

What detergent did you start with
What kind of dipe do you have (natural fiber or microfiber)
Is your baby ebf or ff or on solids?

Just wondering if there are any common themes.

lynn97 08-30-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
For those with persistent stink issues, I'm curious;

What detergent did you start with
What kind of dipe do you have (natural fiber or microfiber)
Is your baby ebf or ff or on solids?

Just wondering if there are any common themes.

I'll answer as I battled stink off and on for several months.

I started with All F&C. Baby was EBF and diapers were almost all cotton, less 6 BG XS AIOs. Everything stink right away. I tried Country Save and I still struggled although things were better. DS ended up ff due to some medical issues I was having but I didn't notice too much change w/th diapers/poop. We also transitioned to our BG 4.0s and Blueberry pockets with bamboo inserts around this time. The CS made them stink. So we tried Charlie's Soap. It was awesome for us for a long time! We successfully used it for about 9 months and never needed to strip but added a little bleach about once a month. Then, it stopped working for us when DS was about 9 months old. He was ff and eating solids at that point and we were back to all natural fibers and PUL. I tried the All F&C (our regular detergent) again - disastrous. I tried Tide F&G - instant issues with stink. I tried Ultra Tide powder and it made my DS break out although it seemed good for the diapers. I finally tried liquid Tide and it's been awesome!! We're 4 months in with no issues.

Good luck, mama! I hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

BeccaSueCongdon 08-30-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97

I'll answer as I battled stink off and on for several months.

I started with All F&C. Baby was EBF and diapers were almost all cotton, less 6 BG XS AIOs. Everything stink right away. I tried Country Save and I still struggled although things were better. DS ended up ff due to some medical issues I was having but I didn't notice too much change w/th diapers/poop. We also transitioned to our BG 4.0s and Blueberry pockets with bamboo inserts around this time. The CS made them stink. So we tried Charlie's Soap. It was awesome for us for a long time! We successfully used it for about 9 months and never needed to strip but added a little bleach about once a month. Then, it stopped working for us when DS was about 9 months old. He was ff and eating solids at that point and we were back to all natural fibers and PUL. I tried the All F&C (our regular detergent) again - disastrous. I tried Tide F&G - instant issues with stink. I tried Ultra Tide powder and it made my DS break out although it seemed good for the diapers. I finally tried liquid Tide and it's been awesome!! We're 4 months in with no issues.

Good luck, mama! I hope this helps you.

Thanks!

babymakes3.4.5.... 08-30-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Diaper Stink Survey

These have been my stink issues:

1st noticed stink using my homemade detergent. Switched to Tide and have had no problems since. This was on organic cotton inserts and covers.

Had ammonia problems for everything and increased water level and detergent amount to recommended amount, ammonia disappeared and haven't had problems with the majority of my diapers since.

I tend to have more stink/ammonia issues with microfiber items, so I sold all of them and only use organic materials now :)

Currently having ammonia issues with overnight diapers, but none of the rest of my items. Thanks to some other mamas here, I am going to start rinsing the night diapers before putting them in the wetbag, and then put them in for a warm wash/rinse before adding the rest of the diapers. I'm hopeful this will work!!!

Good survey idea! I'm interested in the results!!!

lynn97 08-30-2012 08:10 AM

Babymakes, rinsing those night diapers made a huge difference at our house. We have rinsed morning diapers (by hand) since he was really little.

grizzardmommy 08-30-2012 08:14 AM

Re: Diaper Stink Survey

My stink issues started at the end of may. The diapers had the faintest not clean smell outta the dryer then the ammonia started. My son is on all solids as he is 20 months now was 16 months when it started.

I've used Purex since i started cloth diapering 3 years ago an never had a problem until now.

I use hemp and cotton inserts in BG pockets. I've tried pre-rinsing, I've tried bleaching, I've tried boiling my inserts, I've tried several just hot washes in a row, tried extra rinses, tried more soap, vinegar and finally yesterday RLR. Fixing to put DS in a diaper praying it works...I'm at the end of my patience