Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So frustrated and out of ideas with POOP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437818)

nonipie 08-30-2012 07:13 AM

So frustrated and out of ideas with POOP!

So my DD is almost 2.5 and has been daytime PLed for about 3-4 months. She wears a pull-up for nap and nights. We started putting her on the potty to poop maybe in January or February which worked very well so she has been pooping in the toilet with very few misses since then. She will let you know she has to go and was telling us long before we introduced the idea of peeing. It was more that she wanted to do what big brother was doing and kept asking to go to the bathroom so I would not say I was actually trying to train her. It just sort of happened, no pressure and I went with it following her lead. Since she switch to undies during the day we also have few peeing accidents. Maybe a couple times a week at most.

So over the last month we have started having issues with her pooping in her pull-up in the morning and I am so frustrated with it. The major reason is that it irritates her and then she fights you to clean her. I did take her to the Ped. to be checked for a UTI and he said she was fine. I think it just stings and since she's laying down it gets everywhere up the front and back. I have tried getting her up right before she wakes up and she will fight me to sit on the toilet, say, "no poops" and then end up pooping in the bed 20 minutes later. One morning they got up earlier and I changed her into undies, left the door open and told her to come get me if she had to go and she just went in her undies anyway within 10 minutes and never said anything. She had never gone in her underwear before. This morning ended up in poop everywhere again. A few times she has let me know by calling to me and I get there in time. I'm just stumped though and out of ideas. I'm 9 months pregnant and was expecting some regression but the baby isn't even here yet so nothing has really changed. We don't make a big deal out of accidents and give lots of praise when she wakes me up to go. What can I do now?

I will say that she has been in cloth with few exceptions since 2 days old and we have been doing disposable pull-ups at night for a couple weeks to have them on hand for the babysitter and for ease of laundry until I have a full-load of diapers again. This started before the switch but it was only a few times. Now it's been 4-5 mornings out of the last 2 weeks plus the one time even in underwear. Could it be the switch? I don't want to make it a big deal but we can't have the fighting and screaming every morning at 6am either. She's in a very independent stage right now and wants to do everything herself. It's like she hates being in the poop but then has a fit if you try to clean her because she doesn't want to be wiped.:banghead:

abunchoflemons 08-30-2012 07:51 AM

Re: So frustrated and out of ideas with POOP!

Try a reward toy 4 poop in toilet or treat.

chandni3 08-30-2012 08:14 AM

I don't have experience but I have read people on here saying to make the child clean up the mess themselves. So maybe put her in underwear and then she has go to the bathroom, wash her underwear in the sink, wash her bum, change her sheets, etc. Of course you'll have to do a final cleaning sweep, but it makes her take responsibility for going in her pants.

nonipie 08-30-2012 08:31 AM

I don't think the reward would work because she poops in the potty during the day with zero issues. We have never had a poop accident outside of these early morning bed ones.

As far as having her clean it up I'm not even sure she can. She's pretty small so she can't reach the sink or bathtub on her own. It's also usually just such a mess that it takes considerable effort to clean up. This morning involved a shower AND a bath and spraying out of the pajamas and scrubbing the carpet since she apparently did try to pull it down herself. Ack.

Rhianna'sMommy 08-30-2012 09:07 AM

Is she awake enough to realize she's pooping?

We had other poop issues with dd2 which caused to hold her poops for days and days until she pooped in her sleep. We couldn't really do anything because she was asleep or extremely sleepy and really didn't know what she was doing.

It almost sounds like her pooping cycle has changed and she's just not awake enough to process it - especially if she's fine the rest of the day. If that is the case, there isn't much you can do. Even if she's awake I'd just let her be - the more you fight her on it the more likely it is to become a power stuggle and get worse.

nonipie 08-30-2012 09:52 AM

You're probably right. Maybe she is still too drowsy/sleepy since it happens usually between 5:30-6:30. Should I just avoid trying to get her on the potty at all if I'm up or should I put her on there but not press the issue if she doesn't want to go?

sisu 08-30-2012 10:03 AM

My 2.5 year old DS has been doing the exact same thing lately. It's frustrating, for sure, but I'm not going to push the potty thing because I just don't have enough energy to fight it. Haha. Can you slather her butt with diaper cream to help prevent irritation from the poop?

mommasave36 08-30-2012 07:35 PM

TMI but what is the consistency of her poop? I would assume it's not balled up and hard if it makes that much of a mess. But she could have a little constipation and that will cause her poop to sort of slide out when she's relaxed. She's still young so this may not be the issue but it is something to consider especially when she was doing well and is suddenly not. Maybe increase her intake of fiber foods like pears or prunes or juice to help loosen her stools if they are firm and reduce bananas, rice and breads.

It be more work but might be more comfortable to her to be cleaned in the bathtub instead of wipes. Good luck!

nonipie 08-31-2012 10:51 AM

It's pretty mushy yes, so that might also be the problem. I will add some more fiber. She did it again this morning and I did end up just sticking her in the tub. We put her back in cloth though so at least it did not leak.