Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What age did your DS PT? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437823)

dancermommy1 08-30-2012 07:19 AM

What age did your DS PT?

Mine is 26 months and shows zero interest. About half the kids in his daycare class already PT'd, so I was surprised he's not interested. He's dry overnight now most of the time. We got him a little potty seat and he peed in the potty one time, then just wasn't interested, and I don't want to push him of course.

I know boys usually PT later than girls. What age did your DS PT? Just curious. I need him to PT before 3 for school, but otherwise I'm not in a hurry.

emerino 08-30-2012 07:26 AM

2-1/2

abunchoflemons 08-30-2012 07:39 AM

Re: What age did your DS PT?

My mil said first boy was 4 but had another boy who didn't take long cuz not too much younger that the other. Try popcorn 4 shoorting practice or the like, rewards like toy or underewar or candy, no punishment & follow his cues. Tips from the doctors show. Girls normally pt earlier but it depends too. My cousin had 2 kids girl then boy & they pt together.

Ainmemphis 08-30-2012 07:44 AM

We started with the motions around 2 but it was 2.5 before he was trained.

lanwenyi 08-30-2012 07:48 AM

2yrs 5 mths

He showed interest at 2, so we started, but then he didn't care, so we dropped it. At 2y5m, he came to me and said "want unders now, no diapers". I put him in his underwear and he was PT that day. He's had maybe 2 accidents since then (day or night).

GEMQEMCABOOSE 08-30-2012 07:51 AM

My closest friends and I together have 25 boys all together :). All of ours are home with mom all day so there's been no school or daycare provider to help PT. I would say the average age for all the boys for #1 trained during day and naps is 2y8m-2y10m. #2 can take as long as 6-8 months later but usually more like 1-3 more months. Overnight dryness seems to very widely.

My DS1 and DS3 both did day and night training at the same time at 2y10m. DS2 did day trained at 3y2m but took until almost 4 for no poop accidents and early morning wetting.

Schools of thinking about PTing vary widely. We tend to wait until 2y6m at the earliest in our circle, following a readiness checklist, because once the signs of readiness are there, we can PT to 100% accident free in 3 days (many children take awhile to be comfortable pooping on the potty though). We've had a great deal of success with this. My neighbor started PTing her boys at 18m and it was perpetual accidents and frustration until nearly 3. We just choose to wait and then its easy peasy.

mrosehughes 08-30-2012 07:53 AM

We did the 3-day method at 2 1/2, and he was taking care of it by himself for the most part a few months later. He was pooped trained before we started, though. And we had been talking about the potty for longer.

kushie tushie 08-30-2012 08:01 AM

We started when he was about 26(?) Months. He wasnt fully trained till maybe a couple months ago. Hes now 2 1/2. We still have occasional accidents but he goes to the potty on his own and tells us if were out.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Mommy2Be08 08-30-2012 08:11 AM

Ds1 18 months (for daytime) with one set back at 22 ish months. Night time trained at 3.5. Ds2 will be 3 in November and he's good most of the time at home but can't hold it very long in public.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum

AnimalHouse 08-30-2012 08:12 AM

31 months exactly, for both DS1 and DS2. We don't potty train (other than explaining what the toilet is and letting them see us use it :giggle:), and neither showed any interest before then. Then suddenly, it's like a lightbulb turned on inside their heads at 31 months old... they asked for underwear one day, and haven't looked back. They were even dry for naps and bedtime at that time.