Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How much homework does your First grader have? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437855)

blackbirdmama*3 08-30-2012 09:50 AM

How much homework does your First grader have?

My ds 2 is in first and has had 2 math pages, 1 language page, around 10 reading pages and 10 spelling words assigned as homework Monday-Thursday. He has no problem completing it and gets it done in about 30 minutes but I am just curious if this is normal. My ods had a different teacher for first and only had reading and spelling words for homework.

champatlife 08-30-2012 09:57 AM

Re: How much homework does your First grader have?

It sounds like a lot, my first grader hasn't started homework assignments yet.

blackbirdmama*3 08-30-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champatlife (Post 15613930)
It sounds like a lot, my first grader hasn't started homework assignments yet.

I thought it was a lot too. I asked another parent if their son was bringing the same home and he was. I thought maybe it was my ds not getting finished with it.

Rhianna'sMommy 08-30-2012 10:00 AM

Last year when dd1 was in first she got her spelling list sent home on Monday and then on Friday she was sent home a reading assignment she had to read aloud to us 3times over the weekend. That was it - it was the same every week. 2-3 times over the whole year there was a random worksheet sent home to fill out. (and obviously if dd was sick she got all her worksheets she missed sent home for her to do)

This year in 2nd grade her teacher said the only regular homework she'd send home would be the spelling list on Monday.

Trynitey 08-30-2012 10:05 AM

My DD is in 1st grade and her homework is due on Friday, however, she has 2 math pages a night (so 8 total), and 1-2 reading comprehension/questions a night (so 4-8 total), she has to read a book every day and log it, has 10-15 spelling words to remember and 5-7 vocab definitions to remember and spelling/english homework that involves something as simple as have your mom give you a pre-test, or as extensive as write a story using all of the spelling words. That is also every night. I think this is a LOT for a 1st grader, especially being that it started the first day of school. I did find out though that she was placed in a "gifted" class. I'm not sure if that is why she has so much homework, but either way, "gifted" class or not, I don't think she should be spending more than 15mins a night on homework and it takes her about 30-45mins to do everything for the day. I asked around the other day with the same question, and a lot of teachers even said that typical is 10-15mins of homework a night or something as simple as spelling words and 3-4 pages of math for the week.

momtojande 08-30-2012 10:12 AM

None so far. They are going to start having some, but it's going to be a few minutes Mon-Thurs. The way the teacher explained it, it's all positive rewards -- if they bring back completed homework, they get a star on their chart. When they fill up their chart, they get to pick a toy from the treasure chest.

My understanding is that the rule is supposed to be 10 minutes/day of homework for each year in school. So, 1st graders get 10 minutes, 2nd graders 20, etc.

canadianbakers 08-30-2012 10:19 AM

My kids haven't started school yet, but when they do Isaac (in grade 1 this year) will have a book to read every night and that's it. The only time the younger kids (grades K-2) have any homework is if they don't get time to finish something in class (because of their own behaviour, not because of time constraints) or if they've missed school.
The middle classroom (grades 3&4) my DD was in last year and she had a homework kit sent home each Friday. It had a few things to do - maybe a math worksheet, a reading comprehension activity, and some other LA thing - and it was due back by the following Wednesday. We always had her budget her weekend time to include the work and had it back in on Monday - this was just our choice though, kwim?
I don't know what the older kids (grades 5-8) have, though I know they do have some homework to prepare them for entering high school, and I know they have a monthly book report. DD is going into grade 5 this year, so we'll find out shortly!

Done at 3 08-30-2012 10:49 AM

I have a real issue with homework for children under 3rd or 4th grade. Some reading at night and maybe a worksheet or two to be completed before Friday or over the weekend is enough in my opinion. I think it's too much after a full day at school, and I find it so disruptive to family time. It really irks me! Last year in kindergarten my DS had 3-4 items of homework every day Monday- Thursday that often took upwards of an hour to get done. It was a huge battle more often than not and just created very unpleasant evenings for everyone involved :(

This year in first grade it seems to be considerably less, It's still the first week, but I'm optimistic she will stick with her one worksheet every other day plan. He reads a book to us every evening anyway, even in the summer but I think loading little kids with more work after a full school day is ridiculous, especially with recesses etc... Being shorter than when I was a kid. It drives me nuts!

mommabritt 08-30-2012 11:40 AM

That sounds like a lot to me.

My fourth grader only has to complete incomplete work from class as homework. I never brings any home though because he finishes everything. I do require him to spend 30 minutes silently reading or sometimes he chooses to read to my 4 year old. This allows me to work with my second grader, who needs the help. I do wish he'd have some more homework though, I think it sets a good precedent for the higher grades.

My second grader has spelling word practice (3x each), a one sided math sheet and a reading book. This takes up about 1 hour each evening because he is a slow worker and gets distracted and discouraged easily. If he didn't need the practice, I wouldn't be forcing it as its a daily struggle.

My prek kiddo has a letter worksheet every day and we do reading time.

AcrossTheUniverse 08-30-2012 11:46 AM

My DD1 is in first grade this year. Every night she brings a homework sheet home to do. One side has spelling practice (like writing spelling words 3x or organizing words, etc..) and the other side is math practice. It takes us maybe 10-15 minutes to complete. Her teacher also asks that we read 10 minutes every night (which we already do before bed) and practice her spelling words (about 10 of them per week) for her test on Friday.