Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437920)

jessca06 08-30-2012 11:10 AM

what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34)

I was going to go with my DD (2 yrs old), DS (3 months old), my mom, and my aunt to have lunch with my cousins (7 & 9 yrs old) at their school tomorrow. My aunt just called my mom and asked her to make sure that I know not to breastfeed DS in the school.

I said we aren't going. I never show much of anything (not that I think that matters anyways). I always wear a tank with a shirt over (and lift up shirt and pull down tank to nurse). She said that there are kids there and it isn't appropriate to breastfeed.

Am I overreacting? What would you do?

Dean7698 08-30-2012 11:19 AM

Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)?

No you're not overreacting and if it was me they would've got a ear full!

jessca06 08-30-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean7698 (Post 15614642)
No you're not overreacting and if it was me they would've got a ear full!

Thank you. My husband agrees with me but my mom thinks I'm overreacting. I really want to distance myself from my aunt now that I know her views on breastfeeding.

I'm not looking forward to any family dinners with them (thanksgiving, etc) knowing that she thinks I'M wrong for feeding my son in front of her kids :(

bumminbeachbabe 08-30-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessca06
I was going to go with my DD (2 yrs old), DS (3 months old), my mom, and my aunt to have lunch with my cousins (7 & 9 yrs old) at their school tomorrow. My aunt just called my mom and asked her to make sure that I know not to breastfeed DS in the school.

I said we aren't going. I never show much of anything (not that I think that matters anyways). I always wear a tank with a shirt over (and lift up shirt and pull down tank to nurse). She said that there are kids there and it isn't appropriate to breastfeed.

Am I overreacting? What would you do?

My baby has the right to eat wherever others are eating. These are children. They'd probably not even bat an eye or just ask what you're doing. I think it's wrong to tell you not to nurse. Depending on where you live the law is probably in your side.

mumtothem 08-30-2012 11:23 AM

I would be offended and I wouldnt go either.Hugs momma!

Sigkap714 08-30-2012 11:24 AM

I think that's a crazy request/order. I nursed DS at my sister's 5th grade dinner theatre at the school. The only comments I got were about how little and cute he was. None of the kids seemed to care at all.

jessca06 08-30-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe (Post 15614663)
My baby has the right to eat wherever others are eating. These are children. They'd probably not even bat an eye or just ask what you're doing. I think it's wrong to tell you not to nurse. Depending on where you live the law is probably in your side.

I'm in Texas. The law is on my side :thumbsup:

rebekkahm 08-30-2012 12:06 PM

It's not her place to tell you where you can and can't feed your baby. Try not to take it personally though unless she persists. Some people just don't understand. I'm sure her children won't care a wink!

l_Kimmie_l 08-30-2012 12:18 PM

I would be upset and either not go, or go and be sure to nurse. Baby has to eat. But this is coming from someone who is sitting with a boob hanging out with a house full of kids nursing.

Arabesque 08-30-2012 12:28 PM

I'd go and nurse if the baby needed it.