Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler's Urine Smells like Sugar?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437949)

jessnic 08-30-2012 12:19 PM

Toddler's Urine Smells like Sugar??

DS is almost 14 months old. He went to his daycare provider yesterday and she asked if I noticed he drinks a lot of water during the day, and that his urine smells very sweet. I had noticed this smell about two weeks ago, but there have been no changes in his diet. He still breastfeeds a fair bit, and eats fairly healthy solids. There are no behavioral changes that anyone has noted. I have issues with low blood sugar so I have a meter on hand. I checked his sugar this morning after he had eaten breakfast (water and 1/2 a slice of bread) and it was 153. Can anyone help me make sense of this? We have switched to a new doctor so I am waiting to get an appointment. I can push to be seen quickly if I need to, but I don't know if this is any reason for concern?

amb2j 08-30-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Toddler's Urine Smells like Sugar??

Id tell the nurse on call what you told us and get his/her perspective regarding when I need to be seen (thats what I usually do when unsure if I should push for an early appt-lay out the sxs and let them decide) :hugs: mama

jessnic 08-30-2012 12:41 PM

I am waiting for a call back from the nurse, I am just nervous.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe :)

pumkinsmommy 08-30-2012 12:45 PM

He needs to be checked for type 1 diabetes. :hugs:

jessnic 08-30-2012 12:53 PM

How do they check for type 1 diabetes in such a little one?

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe :)

booty hunter 08-30-2012 01:01 PM

They run a blood test to check his blood sugar average over the last 3 months it is called an a1c. The sweet smell sure sounds like type one diabetes but 153 isn't that high at all. dd was over seven hundred when she was diagnosed with type one.

jessnic 08-30-2012 01:06 PM

The sweet smell is really strong. This morning his night time diaper smelled like syrup, not pee at all. When I went to wash the diaper laundry this morning I also noticed the pail smelled sweet.

Heather8183 08-30-2012 01:08 PM

Are you nursing and taking fenugreek by any chance?

jessnic 08-30-2012 01:10 PM

I am still nursing but I don't take any supplements of any kinds. I don't drink any herbal teas, no vitamins other than my prenatal vitamins. I am eating a mostly Paleo diet, so I don't think I am eating anything that would have fenugreek.

Kiliki 08-30-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather8183 (Post 15615145)
Are you nursing and taking fenugreek by any chance?

was thinking the SAME thing when I heard "fenugreek" That stuff will make every bodily secretion smell just like maple syrup. lol

:hugs: mama. How scary.

I agree that the sweet smell does make it sound like possible diabetes.

I hope you get some answers soon.