Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Microfiber inserts no longer absorbing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438373)

NiftyB 08-31-2012 02:43 PM

Microfiber inserts no longer absorbing?

Anyone had this problem? I THINK that's what's happening. After dealing with leaks (pocket diapers) and thinking maybe I was using too much detergent (repelling) I'm now thinking that the micro fiber inserts may not be absorbing as much as they used to...or at all! I have read mixed things...like maybe this happens when you dry on high heat (oops). Anyone seen this before?

I have reduced the amount of tide we're using (original powder) added extra rinses, boiled, etc. and hand-scrubbed the fleece on each shell with blue Dawn...so I really don't think repelling is the problem. Sometimes pee just trickles down LO's leg (21 months) and the insert is hardly wet. We've got the best fit we can get (using one-sized dipes, with snaps). Am truly flummoxed!

Kabuki24 08-31-2012 02:47 PM

Re: Microfiber inserts no longer absorbing?

Okay, don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere (cannot remember where) recently that if MF inserts are continually dried on high that the heat starts to break down the material and makes them less absorbant. Hmm... not sure, but sounds like you may have heard this too.

How about ditching the MF inserts and stuffing with infant prefolds? Solves your problem cheaply and without too much pain.

I really doubt it's build up. I think people strip way more than they really need to.

NiftyB 08-31-2012 02:54 PM

Yea, I probably ruined them, then...I had no idea! I always hang the PUL shells to dry and throw everything else in the dryer on high heat. Bummer. I might go with some hemp inserts, for trimness. Fooey!

m&m&m 08-31-2012 03:01 PM

Yes microfiber absorbs by trapping liquid in crevaces in the pile, if the microfiber degrades and thins out and is less fluffy the gaps in the fabric smoosh down and then there is less space in between for the liquid.

abunchoflemons 08-31-2012 03:06 PM

Stripping only needed if build up. I havent stripped my pockets. I line/ rack dry all. Hope u find a good solution 4 u.

olstep 08-31-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&m&m (Post 15620605)
Yes microfiber absorbs by trapping liquid in crevaces in the pile, if the microfiber degrades and thins out and is less fluffy the gaps in the fabric smoosh down and then there is less space in between for the liquid.

True. MF has short life span.

mariamommy 08-31-2012 04:14 PM

The inserts are probably just worn out. Try stuffing with flats or prefolds. :)

babycat42 08-31-2012 05:57 PM

I guess I will be in the minority. I prefer older microfiber. It feels rougher and absorbs faster. I think new microfiber doesn't hold nearly as much. The older mf also holds the moisture in tighter and the new mf can squish it out easier(compression leaks.) I think you should wash your inserts alone with double the soap once or twice with bleach.
I always dry my mf on super hot.
I think you might try washing them with a different detergent too. Think of how great your hair feels when you switch shampoos. Some detergents don't attack every kind of soil there is out there. Don't give up on your Mf!

buckner6 09-01-2012 06:11 AM

I would try stipping them with dawn first, and if that doesn't help I would swith to stuffing with prefolds. Infant size fit really well in pockets and are $1.50 with free shipping at cottonbabies

keithmommy 09-01-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckner6
I would try stipping them with dawn first, and if that doesn't help I would swith to stuffing with prefolds. Infant size fit really well in pockets and are $1.50 with free shipping at cottonbabies

But are they bulky? I'm having the same problem as OP and have been contemplating what to do next.