Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non Traditional Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Living together before marriage. Yay or nay? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438412)

Iliana 08-31-2012 04:39 PM

Living together before marriage. Yay or nay?

My boyfriend and I are expecting. We are both divorced, and I have a a child from my previous marriage. Long story short: he wants us to move in with him to another place (my apartment and his are an hour drive and are too small to accommodate all of us). The problem is that I would like to have an idea if he would consider making a commitment in the future. His response was that "marriage would not change how he feels about me" (true, but it hurt. I felt rejected). He also mentioned that weddings "are expensive and just for show" (He had a lavish wedding, I on the other side got married at the courthouse and didn't even have a dinner or anything).

I have been reading about cohabiting and it seems it is a not a good idea. I feel a lot of pressure from family, friends and society to move in or marry him just because we are expecting. I would like to make that commitment for love. I do regret getting pregnant (it wasn't planned, and I was on the pill) because it has set this whole snowball in motion and i wanted to take things slowly.

Samandy 08-31-2012 04:43 PM

Re: Living together before marriage. Yay or nay?

Yay. I think living together first is almost always a good idea.

beccatown 08-31-2012 04:45 PM

The statistics for divorce are higher amongst those who co-habitate before marriage compared to those who don't.

beccatown 08-31-2012 04:47 PM

Also, if you don't feel comfortable with it and are only considering it because others are pressuring you, then DON'T DO IT.

Iliana 08-31-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccatown (Post 15621096)
I personally don't care what people do, but the statistics for divorce are higher amongst those who co-habitate before marriage compared to those who don't.

That's what I read. And quite frankly, it terrifies me. A divorce is one of the most scarring and lonely experiences you can go through, and I fear ending up alone with 2 children, divorced again. He seems very content about the idea of us living together and live a happy life; I, on the other side, am not so sure. (My lack of faith in life and love is just appalling).

Samandy 08-31-2012 05:12 PM

Hmmm, I did just a quick search and came up with all kinds of things saying that the divorce rates are nearly identical for both couples living together before marriage, and couples not living together before marriage. Divorce happens for many different reasons and I personally do not think co-habitation before marriage will have much of an effect on most relationships.

rumblepurr 08-31-2012 05:13 PM

Will he do a commitment ceremony or an engagement? It doesn't have to be legal. It's an exchange of vows that you write and both sign, or a hand fasting ceremony.

Studies also found that couples who live together before getting married that have a formal commitment to each other (ie engaged or the like) have no different divorce rates than those who didn't live together prior to marriage. I think it's based on the commitment level reached prior to moving in together that determines longevity of marriage.

rumblepurr 08-31-2012 05:16 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1372687.html

Iliana 08-31-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumblepurr (Post 15621212)
Will he do a commitment ceremony or an engagement? It doesn't have to be legal. It's an exchange of vows that you write and both sign, or a hand fasting ceremony.

I don't think so. After our chat, I dropped the subject because it still hurts a lot and I think the pregnancy hormones are making me hyper sensitive. I wished he had offered the aforementioned alternatives. That would have reassured me that he is committed and will not walk away like nothing happened (like my ex husband did). He acts as if nothing has happened, and while he is all smiles and hugs, I am worried and stressed out about the future.

Samandy 08-31-2012 05:18 PM

How committed to you and this relationship do you think he is?