Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Are compression leaks normal with PUL covers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438552)

laineypaige 09-01-2012 07:11 AM

Are compression leaks normal with PUL covers?

I had my 20 month old in a -new to us- Alva pocket with a bamboo insert (the 3 layer 100% bamboo), and I picked him up to go wash his hands and my shirt got all wet. I knew I only had in one insert - I was testing to see if we could get by with just one cause its so amazingly trim- so I just assumed he had soaked it.

But when I went to change him the insert was only wet in the very middle, the front and back were still dry, but still there were compression leaks. Is it because bamboo absorbs slowly? Do I need to add something else with the bamboo? Or is there something wrong with the PUL on the cover?

I'm trying two bamboo inserts this time to see how that works, which is still super trim!

ChihuahuaMama13 09-01-2012 07:20 AM

Re: Are compression leaks normal with PUL covers?

Did you toss the pockets in the dryer after their first wash? I had that trouble too with "china" diapers. I ended up not being able to use them because they always leaked. Bamboo isn't really prone to compression, especially when it's hardly damp. I would suggest trying to make sure the PUL is sealed and hopefully that takes care of it. Otherwise, I hope others chime in with more suggestions :thumbsup:

Kindermama 09-01-2012 07:28 AM

I don't think bamboo is prone to compression leaks. Trying sealing the PUL

laineypaige 09-01-2012 07:29 AM

Yeah, I washed everything once I got it and ran it through the dryer. Hhmmm... maybe it's just that one pocket, so far so good with 2 inserts and a new diaper.

lildutch1 09-01-2012 07:42 AM

My China mades do this every time which is why I will be getting rid of them...

laineypaige 09-01-2012 04:04 PM

Well the next diaper was fine, even after the bamboo was pretty wet, so maybe it's just that one diaper.... I hope.

Lagoon Baby 09-01-2012 04:11 PM

I've never had a compression leak with bamboo, I would double check your fit and make sure you have enough absorbency in there :)

m&m&m 09-01-2012 05:45 PM

I've heard it is hit and miss with the China cheapies. Hopefully it was just a fluke flooding (if a diaper is oversaturated, the liquid has to go somewhere).

cryswilkins 09-01-2012 06:06 PM

Did you fully prep the bamboo inserts? They need to be washed and dried at least three times.

ksburgess 09-01-2012 07:52 PM

I have not had any leaks or wicking with my Alva PUL diapers even with just 1 insert. I've had wicking with a minky if the insert in just laying the the diaper, but not if it's stuffed. I fold my insert in half and lay it in the wet zone when we're at home (stuff if we're going out, or stuff all minkies). I've had some really soaked inserts, too, because DD is a heavy wetter. At home I just use the one, but when we're out I use two.

I would try again with all the diapers and see if it's that one that's prone to leaks - maybe examine the condition of the PUL on that one? Did you have the insert stuffed or just lying in the diaper? If just lying in, did you check the legs to make sure the insert was tucked around them? I agree with the other mamas, too, check the fit to make sure it's not too loose or too tight.

Our Alvas are working well for us, I hope you're able to figure things out!