Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Video games (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438691)

hibiscus869 09-01-2012 02:38 PM

I could use some input here.

We are not a 'gaming' family (DH and I never play them) but my DS enjoys them. So over the years we've been given and bought quite a bit of gaming stuff. He only plays them once in a while, I don't have a problem with that. But he is extremely territorial about them and it's creating a lot of conflict between him and my DD (who is too young to play them, but wants to mess with the controllers). I am really getting fed up with the conflict it's creating.

I got rid of the Play Station a few months ago, but I am now considering selling the Wii, the Nintendo DS, and the games, of which there are many. I am willing, for now, to keep the Nintendo DSiXL because he uses it as a camera, movie maker, math practice, and to play chess. So I feel like that one has some merit. But I reformatted the others and have boxed them up. There is a game store in my area that will buy them. Probably not for much, as they are old, but it's something.

Does this seem too drastic? I do worry about winter time, as sometimes the video games are nice to have when it's cold outside...does anyone else have experience with getting rid of the video games? Were you glad? Were they missed?

babynme8 09-01-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Video games

I haven't got rid of any of out video games but I had a thought that may help you. My boys have different gaming systems and we give DD a controller without batteries that she uses to "play" when her brothers play. When we upgraded to DSiXL we gave her the old DS and she plays it without any games and it has really helped keep the peace around here.

hibiscus869 09-01-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babynme8
I haven't got rid of any of out video games but I had a thought that may help you. My boys have different gaming systems and we give DD a controller without batteries that she uses to "play" when her brothers play. When we upgraded to DSiXL we gave her the old DS and she plays it without any games and it has really helped keep the peace around here.

Thanks for your response! You know I actually gave my LO the old DS but she's not that into it, she wants the big one. She also knows when the controllers don't have batteries because they don't light up, LOL :) I personally don't care if she plays but heaven forbid any progress be lost on the games, the world might end. ;)

cherylchoo 09-01-2012 08:19 PM

My kids are young (8,6,4) but we have only had a Wii their whole lives. We do own about a half dozen games, but once the kids figured out you could check them out at the library, we have pretty much stopped buying them. They know other systems exist, and that there are handheld gaming things, but they've never asked for any and have been totally content with what we have. We make them take turns, and the other two are hands off when the third is playing, unless they have agreed to play a multi-player game. That helps on the younger ones crashing the oldest's (or DH's, LOL) progress.

But I think since we set that up as an expectation from the beginning, and have always given them a lot of other options (books, board games, puzzles, outdoor toys, arts and crafts supplies, cook with mama, etc) they've never really asked for anything else. I think it would have been a lot harder to pare them down if we had everything first. And also I am aware when they get older, their friends may influence them towards more gaming options. But I think if we keep giving them lots of other things to do, it will still remain less important. ;)

hibiscus869 09-01-2012 08:34 PM

There was a time period (1st grade mostly) where the video games were really a big thing, they got played with all the time. But as he gets older he's playing with them less, months will go by where they are untouched. He really would rather play outside, and fortunately he does have ONE friend who is the same, and they will play outside for HOURS together. But pretty much all of his other friends walk in the door and immediately want to play Super Mario Brothers or whatever (we only do E games). So I've held on to the Wii and the games for those days: When it's freezing cold, or we have friends over who don't know how to entertain themselves without the electronics. Like I say I'm just tired of the conflict over them though between the siblings.

I think for the time being I'm for sure going to sell the DS, all the DS games, and all of the Wii ones that aren't being played much. I'll hold on to the Wii for a few more months, see if we miss it. I don't want to sell it and then regret it, it was actually a grandparent gift so I didn't even have to buy it. I've told my DS about all this and why I want to get rid of them and he said it's ok. He said out of everything he'd rather keep the Legos than the video games anyway!

cherylchoo 09-02-2012 02:56 PM

I should probably also disclose that DH likes to play Wii too, and I keep thinking I'm going to use the Wii Fit we have (but never do, LOL). So that factors into our keeping the Wii too, as well as the distraction during bitter cold dark snowy months too. ;) But I think if you just keep it to one system (unless you are using another system for other purposes, like watching movies/netflix/etc) it's just a whole lot easier to manage. Just like have fewer toys in general.

smapple 09-03-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibiscus869 (Post 15626074)
There was a time period (1st grade mostly) where the video games were really a big thing, they got played with all the time. But as he gets older he's playing with them less, months will go by where they are untouched. He really would rather play outside, and fortunately he does have ONE friend who is the same, and they will play outside for HOURS together. But pretty much all of his other friends walk in the door and immediately want to play Super Mario Brothers or whatever (we only do E games). So I've held on to the Wii and the games for those days: When it's freezing cold, or we have friends over who don't know how to entertain themselves without the electronics. Like I say I'm just tired of the conflict over them though between the siblings.

I think for the time being I'm for sure going to sell the DS, all the DS games, and all of the Wii ones that aren't being played much. I'll hold on to the Wii for a few more months, see if we miss it. I don't want to sell it and then regret it, it was actually a grandparent gift so I didn't even have to buy it. I've told my DS about all this and why I want to get rid of them and he said it's ok. He said out of everything he'd rather keep the Legos than the video games anyway!

I think that sounds like a good plan.

You might want to try selling the DS and the games here and/or on half.com

Melinda29 09-05-2012 07:53 AM

I think your plan sounds very reasonable. Is a Nintendo DSiXL something your kids could play on together when your DD gets older? If so, then I wouldn't worry about keeping other systems around for those cold days. In the mean time, could you make a rule that all of the Nintendo DSiXL equipment and games be stored in a bin in DS's closet, so DD can't get to it, and maybe have something special for just her to play with during the times he wants to pull it put to play with. Or could he even play with it in his room only, with the door shut? Then it is not a temptation for her.

Sorry if my suggestions don't make sense. I have no idea what a Nintendo DSiXL looks like or how it functions. We have 4 kids and have so far managed to avoid any and all video games. I dread when that day comes...

hibiscus869 09-05-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melinda29
I think your plan sounds very reasonable. Is a Nintendo DSiXL something your kids could play on together when your DD gets older? If so, then I wouldn't worry about keeping other systems around for those cold days. In the mean time, could you make a rule that all of the Nintendo DSiXL equipment and games be stored in a bin in DS's closet, so DD can't get to it, and maybe have something special for just her to play with during the times he wants to pull it put to play with. Or could he even play with it in his room only, with the door shut? Then it is not a temptation for her.

Sorry if my suggestions don't make sense. I have no idea what a Nintendo DSiXL looks like or how it functions. We have 4 kids and have so far managed to avoid any and all video games. I dread when that day comes...

No I see what you're saying, I appreciate your input. A DSiXL is just like a DS, except it has a larger screen (that's the XL part) and it can connect to the internet through Wifi. So you can download games. We'll keep that one. My son has about 300 pictures on it he's taken, and little movies he's made, so it's like a digital scrap book in addition to being a game device.

I went on Amazon and traded in most of our video games, their prices are WAY better than Game Stop. I got so excited that I also traded a bunch of old college text books we still had around (YAY!), and a TON of DVD's. It should be close to $200 in Amazon credit.

Our Wii and the regular DS are so old that I can't really get much for them, so I'm just going to keep them for now. I had my son pick out his 3 favorite Wii games, and I'm letting my LO play with the old DS.

So while I didn't totally get rid of everything, I did manage to get rid off about 90% for money so I'm pleased! Video games, especially the DS kinds, are small so it's not like they take up a lot of room. But there were a LOT that were never getting played with so we might as well get some money for them. Incidentally the Mario Brothers games fetch the most I've found. Like 10 times what regular games will.

Oh and as far as dreading the video games- I know what you are saying. But they aren't all bad. We have a chess game for DS that has made my son an INCREDIBLE chess player at a very young age. That is the one DS game I kept :)

jacquielcf 09-05-2012 03:30 PM

I don't think it's too drastic. No one gets to the end of their life and thinks.. "damn, I wish I had spent more time playing video games".. lol.. I think they're one of those things that you get really in to if they're there, but if they're gone, you find something else to do.