Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Where to start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438731)

love2row 09-01-2012 04:36 PM

Where to start?

DS is about 28 months and I would love to start potty training with him, but have no clue where to begin. I have a potty & some GroVia trainers, but am clueless to the process. There's no big rush, although I'm due with #2 in March and would love to have DS trained by then. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

abunchoflemons 09-01-2012 04:57 PM

Re: Where to start?

Does ds tell u when he needs to potty? Take clothes off by self? Likes to b naked? Mine likes to b naked so potty time is naked time besides baths. Try rewards & boys try shooting targets if standing. Some boys start by sitting backwards from my experience in sitting 20 odd yrs ago.

amdeemer 09-02-2012 08:58 PM

My kiddos started showing an interest and we just went from there, but I have a friend who got her son to start peeing in the potty by asking if he wanted to pee on top of her pee. Worked great for her - might be worth a shot. ;)

hibiscus869 09-03-2012 12:58 AM

I recommend a lot of liquids (water, juice, whatever), a potty, no undies/pants (boys can run around in a big t-shirt), and you go spend the day in the back yard. Whenever they start to go you whisk the potty under neath them or sit them on it. If they are alarmed about sitting down let them stand, eventually they'll realize it's ok to sit. If they are unwilling to sit let them have special games or books that are only reserved for sitting on the potty time.

We spent about 3 days like this, just hanging out side with the potty and some juice. When we successfully had pee or poop in the potty we'd cheer to the skies. If not we'd say, "Oh well, that was good practicing!" By the end of the first day my children started sitting on the potty on their own. By about 7 days they were getting to it 99% of the time successfully. I never used any timers, they learned to recognize their own signals. I followed them everywhere with the potty for a while so that we could have as many successes as possible. Each success builds on itself. Yes it's kind of exhausting for a while there, but so worth it. They are so proud of themselves.

The reason I like to do it outside is because then I don't have to clean up any accidents. This helps me be more relaxed. It's very important to be vigilant but still calm. If you are getting annoyed about cleaning up carpet it kind of defeats that.

If you are ready and you go armed with the right info it doesn't need to be a big hassle. You can do it! Good luck :)

chandlrb 09-07-2012 08:30 AM

I realize this may be controversial but...we told our 26 month old that she could have one piece of chocolate (a semi-sweet chocolate chip) every time she pee peed on the potty. #2 would get her 2 pieces. I did try to take her to the potty immediately after we got out of bed and every hour or so during the day. It took her a little while to learn the signs that she needed to go #2 (She'll say that her tummy hurts now). We've been at it two weeks and she sleeps and goes out and about in big girl panties now. Sure she has accidents, but they are rare, maybe once every 2-3 days. It has been a breeze, honestly. Good luck with your little boy. I have heard they can be more difficult than the girls, but I hope not!

hpfgirl 09-07-2012 08:26 PM

Buy "oh, crap! Potty training" it's worth every dime.

Addisynsmommy 09-28-2012 12:08 PM

I am in the same place as you right now. My daughter is 28 months and I just had #2. I have no idea where to begin! We got her a potty, underwear, a potty seat, and still no interest!

iferrn 10-04-2012 10:32 AM

Feelin like this kid is going to college in diapers. My son is 30 mo and screams "no" if we even mention sitting on the potty. He knows what it is, is fascinated with what other people do on it - as long as you dont suggest he does the same. My daughter was so easy - at 20 mo we gave a chocolate covered rasin for each success & "dont pee on the princes (in her princes undies) and we were done in less than a week. I know all kids are different, and boys are usually later. he is just so stubborn - with everything! He doesnt care that dinosaurs dont like to be peed on, doesnt care that there will be a reward, doesnt care that he can go in the big kid section of the Y, etc. I will check out the above mentioned book and welcome any other suggestions too.

paggie88 10-07-2012 02:11 AM

Yup. I agree with everyone about going naked. I had my daughter in her pants and when she wet herself two times and pooped once, that was it for her. She didn't like how the pee got on her, and she was disgusted with her poop. That was how I was able to get her to use the toilet.. at about 20 mos old.

paggie88 10-07-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpfgirl (Post 15653422)
Buy "oh, crap! Potty training" it's worth every dime.

Yes it does! It saves me so much.