Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hard water/detergent help! Eco Sprouts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438909)

njuhan 09-02-2012 08:59 AM

Hard water/detergent help! Eco Sprouts?

Ok so we have extremely hard water. When we lived in the states I used tide without any problems. As soon as we moved here to germany we started having issues. I tried adding calgon to my tide, didn't help. Switched to specific cd detergents, made things worse. Tried a few other detergents, tried homemade...just about everything. We have terrible ammonia problems, nothing seems to be getting the diapers really clean. I have seen a lot of positive reviews about EcoSprouts working great with hard water so I ordered some last week. Do I need to use calgon with this detergent? Does anyone have any reviews on this detergent? Any advice??

Isabellesmama 09-02-2012 06:51 PM

I have really hard water & tried eco sprouts & didn't work, it was like washing the diapers with nothing but water. I would have to use 1/2c-1c for it to even seem like I put soap in the wash. Have you tried tide with borax? Sometimes tide alone doesn't work for us I need the borax, a lil bit of bleach, & vinegar in the rinse(although ive read stuff saying hard water + vinegar are a no no I always use it with all of my laundry with no problem) & I don't mess with my wash routine bcuz if I do one thing diff I will have stinkies.

FriedaT 09-02-2012 07:29 PM

I tried Eco Sprout for my hard well water and had immediate issues with it. I followed their instructions to do a soak in it and wash before using regularly. I did two soaks and several washes just to make sure. The first diaper I took off of DD left her skin looking like she had a red diaper painted on and the diaper immediately smelled stinky (it was a pee diaper). So because of stink and horrible rashes, I stripped and kept trying other detergents until I found one that worked for us.

njuhan 09-03-2012 02:34 AM

Re: Hard water/detergent help! Eco Sprouts?

My son has terribly sensitive skin and I've already tried so many different things I just hate testing something out not knowing if he's going to react to it or not. I have tried tide with borax and our homemade detergent had borax as well and he had almost immediate reactions to both of those so we no longer do borax.
Here's a list of what we have used
Tide
All F&C (the military one)
Arm & Hammer F&C
Homemade (borax, washing soda, oxyclean)
Ruby Moon
Thirsties

Dang I just hate the water here! We never ever had issues when we lived in georgia! I'm almost at the point of giving up cloth :( and I really really really don't want to do that.

mom2jande 09-03-2012 06:09 AM

I have a private well, so my water is very hard. I use Eco Sprout and love it! Most of the moms in my cloth diaper group do too! I had tried so many detergents that didn't work including Tide and Rockin Green which gave my kids a terrible rash. With Eco Sprout, it did take some trial and error. I had to contact them for washing advise and the customer service was amazing. After some adjustments to my routine and adding Calgon to my wash cycle my diapers have never been cleaner! No more rashes or ammonia issues and it has been about 8 months since I switched. I will never use anything else on my diapers.

njuhan 09-03-2012 08:46 AM

I reallllly hope it works out for us..How much calgon do you use? I have just recently started to use calgon again and it seems to be helping. Right now with all f&c i am using about 3-4 tbsp of calgon.

mypeanut09 09-03-2012 01:04 PM

I am in the States, but we have hard water and I really like Eco Sprouts. RNG Hard Rock worked too, but I prefer the Eco Sprouts. I have found that it helps if you put some detergent in your prewash cycle as well. I use half as much detergent in my prewash as in my wash cycle and it helps a lot. Good luck!

McDMom 09-03-2012 06:25 PM

EcoSprout worked well for us (regular water) but I had to use an extra tablespoonful to make it work. I wonder if you'll need more for hard water as well.

njuhan 09-06-2012 01:01 PM

I just got my order in today and have my diapers soaking overnight. I hope this works for us!