Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   weaning and co-sleeping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438986)

corinne76 09-02-2012 12:58 PM

weaning and co-sleeping

How? :headscratch:
DS is almost 19 months and nursing through the night and for naps. Last night was a good night and he slept for 7 hours until 2:30. He woke again about 4 then at 5:30. I wasn't able to get him back down after that. Some nights he wakes every 2 hours or so.
I'm thinking of slowly weaning but I have no idea how. I don't mind nursing a bit longer, but he doesn't show any signs of self-weaning.
When I do decide to wean him, how should I go about it if we co-sleep? DD (4.5 yrs) is also in my bed and I don't want DS crying and waking her. SHe could sleep with DH, but he sleeps outside most nights on the hard floor because he has a bad back.

Kencke 09-06-2012 10:52 PM

Re: weaning and co-sleeping

I think weaning is hard...I co sleep but I cannot get my DD to self wean.... she is 17 mths if you figure out how to do it please let me know

meagank24 09-09-2012 12:56 PM

I told Dd1 that she couldn't nurse at night cause nursies needed sleep and rest in order to have milk the next day
We snuggled and when she screamed I told her she was welcomed to sleep to my bed but but no screaming if she wanted to scream she needed To go to her room
A couple trips to her room and she realized her room was lonely

We don't nurse til it's day light now

Bhavana 09-10-2012 02:45 AM

I weaned both of my boys by 18-19mos. I was ready to have my body back. I knew it because I began to resent being tied down to one place/side while they nursed, even when it was just 5-10mins. We still co-sleep.

With DS1, I prepped him for a week prior showing him the moon and telling him to see that little baby there without its mom.."Can you hear it crying for milk? Its hungry. Shall I feed him?" He would agree,make the imaginary baby's crying sounds. And I would pretend I just went and fed the baby.

So when I stopped feeding him (I'd day weaned him some 3mos before, I only needed to night wean) a week later, and he would ask for it before sleeping and I only had to remind him about the baby and that milk was gone and he would aquiesce. But he slept terribly that first night..obviously since he can sense his comfort food so close by and yet unavailable. Second night, I enlisted DH's help and had sing/rock him back to sleep,and I slept separately. It went alright.

Third night, he whimpered, but he would remind himself about the moon baby and go back to sleep. By fourth night he didnt need any reminding!

I tried the same story with DS2. He's an unreasonble baby...DS1can follow detailed explanations. Ds2 will not have anything of it. He wants it...means he's gotta have it. So, he ended up crying terribly, loudly, hit me, got super angry, screamed, didnt want dh holding him. So the first night I gave in reluctantly,after about 30mins of of tantrumming.
2nd night, I locked myself and ds2 up in a room,closed all windows and let him scream out his frustration. However, I kept talking to him in a calm way, said that I understood he was upset, but amma was hurt there because he bit (he used to occasionally bite-he remembered that) And every 10mins I would try to rock him to sleep. He would cry and get up. It took 1h of it andhe fell sound asleep. Second night, was no crying, but he didnt sleep easily either.

And there he was...weaned! Dh was like wow! You managed his worst ever behaviour by yourself!

FWIW, I wore clothes that they couldnt pull down/shove their hands into!

MamaApril 09-27-2012 09:27 PM

We have a toddler bed beside my bed. I prefer if I can get my toddlers to sleep by rocking before I go to bed, because they sleep better and longer in the toddler bed than when right beside me. If I have to lay down and nurse them to sleep, I often move them down to the toddler bed before I let myself fall asleep. I get more hours uninterrupted sleep that way. They still wake up and join me in bed most nights, but we all (DH, too) sleep better if they spend part of the night in the toddler bed instead.

YummiMummi77 10-12-2012 12:30 PM

I feel like I'm going to go through the same issues. My DS just turned 12 months and we co sleep. I feed him several times throughout the night. Im not rushing him to wean or anything but it is a lot sometimes. My DD who is 3.5 also makes it into bed with me and DH and shes a lite sleeper so have to always hurry and feed DS cause dont want his cries to wake her up.