Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   The Big September Purge (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439354)

MattiMaman 09-03-2012 03:25 PM

The Big September Purge

Now that summer is over, I'd like to refocus on purging. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far this year (2800+ items GONE), but I'm aiming for 4024 (2012 challenge x 2!). I'm hoping to get rid of 500 things this month. Anyone else have big September goals and want to join me?

rawheid 09-03-2012 05:21 PM

Re: The Big September Purge

I'm going to sit down this week and create my list of fall goals. I know that I want to get my home under control. Some of it is due to being summer holidays and just laziness. So tomorrow I'll post my goals!!

Lanolin 09-03-2012 06:44 PM

I'm in, I'll be back to list my goals, I need more room.

elizabeth.scalf 09-03-2012 06:58 PM

OP, great job! That sounds awesome. I haven't kept tracked of what I've donated but I know it's a lot, but nowhere near what you've done! I wish I could gather up that much stuff!

elizabeth.scalf 09-03-2012 06:58 PM

OP, great job! That sounds awesome. I haven't kept tracked of what I've donated but I know it's a lot, but nowhere near what you've done! I wish I could gather up that much stuff!

jacquielcf 09-03-2012 09:40 PM

Wow! That's amazing! We've been purging, but I haven't been counting items. Doesn't that take forever?

MattiMaman 09-03-2012 11:01 PM

So glad others want to join! I'm excited because when I added everything up from August, I was actually at 2889. I decided to do a quick mini purge of the toiletries baskets in the master bath (an area I've done at least 3x this year) and still got rid of 31 things. So now I'm at over 2900!

I'll post my plans for September once I've had a bit to look at the calendar.

MattiMaman 09-03-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquielcf
Wow! That's amazing! We've been purging, but I haven't been counting items. Doesn't that take forever?

The numbers just really motivate me. My husband thinks it's super weird but he loves the impact it's had on our home! I keep a running tally in a "note" on my phone. When I'm going through stuff really quickly (like the bathroom tonight), I do hatch marks on a scratch sheet of paper. When I sell or donate, I list the biggest items.

Having a list is really helpful for donations, too-we itemize so it saves us a bit each year. Hopefully this year I've kept even better records.

specialdelivery 09-04-2012 06:45 AM

I'm in. I have started this a few times before, but always managed to get side tracked. This month will be different though. We are doing the "great room switch" when we are finished remodeling the master bedroom and bathroom. I will not move all junk into new hiding places!

P!nkPepper 09-04-2012 04:52 PM

I guess I'm in too. I try to get involved in them all. I've gotten rid of 20 things so far this month. Not that much in the grand scheme of it all.

Jodie ~ wife & mama