Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Top loader VS front loader washer for CD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439435)

xoxoproverbs31 09-03-2012 05:48 PM

Top loader VS front loader washer for CD

Hey Mommas! We're moving soon and I'm on the hunt for a cost effective W/D. I've been reading recently that because FL(front loader)do not add as much water in loads they therefore do not clean cloth diapers worth a stink. Supposedly HE TL(top loader) are the way to go but I've also been reading that both sides wish they would have just stuck with there 10 year old machine.

What would you say? Advice on which brands you like and don't like. Should I take stock in what I'm reading? Also, does HE REALLY make a difference in water and electricity usage? I'm having a hard time "proving" to my husband that we need the energy star rated higher priced appliance because we've yet to have one so we don't really know which is more cost effective now vs later. (Although my MIL's he front loader takes at least twice as long as a normal TL.)

Thanks ladies!!!

nonipie 09-03-2012 05:59 PM

Re: Top loader VS front loader washer for CD

I don't have a FL but I do have an energy star TL Maytag and I love it. I don't have any problems getting clothes or diapers clean and the cycles are short. I can control the water level, cycle length, agitation level etc. I could be totally off base but I feel like a cycle that takes 40 min. and gets everything clean uses less energy than a 2 hour cycle. But then again I have never personally owned and FL, just used ones at others homes and did not find them to be very efficient for what I am used to. I know lots of people love their FL. It just wasn't worth the cost to me since what we have works really well.

keen1981 09-03-2012 06:02 PM

Any machine that is fancy, has more ways to break. I have an HE cabrio top loader and love it

BirthdayMama 09-03-2012 06:09 PM

I have a compact HE Bosch FLer, and the shortest cycle is 45 minutes. I would totally rather spend the money on energy to run an old TLer. A normal cycle on mine is about an hour long. Just the wash portion of one load of dipes takes me over 2 hours. It's a pain.

keen1981 09-03-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthdayMama
I have a compact HE Bosch FLer, and the shortest cycle is 45 minutes. I would totally rather spend the money on energy to run an old TLer. A normal cycle on mine is about an hour long. Just the wash portion of one load of dipes takes me over 2 hours. It's a pain.

Really? Mine has a quick wash setting. I think it's 30...

abunchoflemons 09-03-2012 06:17 PM

I love my he LG front load.

abunchoflemons 09-03-2012 06:21 PM

Depending on delicate, or cotton depends on length but bigger loads will save u money.. it has ours on water & electric. Cding not add too much. I only hot cold my dipes. All else is cold all cycles. Great getting stuff clean. I have soil levels & add water/rinses to my loads if I need. I waste less doling more clothes at once. Our drum is life covered & that's what went out on our other set.

mommytoreanne 09-03-2012 06:59 PM

I have a maytag contnetal, the cheaper one with a regular adagator. I hate it. All the cycles take a hour unless its a rince and spin and that one is 30 minutes. With all the pauses it takes for ever to wash anything.

kevandcare 09-03-2012 07:15 PM

I have a Whirlpool Duet front loader and I love it for everything including my diapers! I've always added hot water to the detergent drawer when washing my CDs and I've never had any problems.

daniele_ut 09-03-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevandcare (Post 15633687)
I have a Whirlpool Duet front loader and I love it for everything including my diapers! I've always added hot water to the detergent drawer when washing my CDs and I've never had any problems.

I have a Whirlpool Duet FL as well. I don't even bother to add any hot water to mine and I haven't had any problems with my diapers yet.

Mine has a Quick Wash cycle that varies from 18 minutes to 30 minutes depending on soil level chosen. I use it for my prewash. The whitest whites cycle I use is 1:50 minutes but it's not like I'm sitting there watching the machine. I start it and walk away. If I don't think I'll be able to get to the machine to take the diapers out right away I select Tumble Fresh.