Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Help! Newbie! Don't know what to do! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439543)

MommaE 09-04-2012 12:26 AM

Help! Newbie! Don't know what to do!

Hi guys!
So I've just started hearing about EC-ing lately.. .and I think I'm finally ready to try! I just don't know how to start!

My DS is almost 6 months old--- and he's a mover and shaker this one! He can barely crawl (coordination/balance-wise) but crawls like a madman--fast as can be... That's his personality; he thinks he can do anything. The thing is he's so "Go-go-go!" Idk if he even notices his poops/pees. I haven't noticed him caring if he's in a poopy/wet diaper. His diaper is always crazy full (almost always) at the end of the night. . .

where do I start??:lostit:

katherineemmons 09-04-2012 08:23 AM

Re: Help! Newbie! Don't know what to do!

I am in the same boat except my DD is 9 months old. She is a daredevil and not scared of anything! I tried yesterday and she didn't seem uncomfortable trying it. But I can't tell when she pees/poops she could care less and doesn't get upset about it at all..

strongwoman 09-04-2012 10:04 PM

Have you checked out some of the EC books out there? There's "Diaper Free Baby" and "EC Simplified". I've been reading through EC Simplified by Andrea Olson. First thing she recommends, and that I've been doing, is observing my LO during diaper-free time for about 30 minutes. Check to see what he/she is doing before, during, and after poops and pees after being fed. Really helps to get that info at the beginning so that you can watch for signals. Maybe there's someone in your neck of the woods who also EC's. I need to find someone to talk to in the area, but I'm in Stockton, CA where most people will probably think I'm a hippie for doing EC! Hope to see you post more successes in this forum in the near future!

R055ANA 09-05-2012 01:58 PM

Hello there everyone!

It's so awesome that you want to start EC or are about to start. I started w/ my 3rd daughter when she was a few days old. She is now 7.5yrs old. I also have another DDer who I started @ 1 day old.

Strongwoman, it great that you have EC simplified and are getting suggestions from that. You mentioned that you would like to have a local person to talk w/ about EC. Hvae you looked into the support groups @ www.diaperfreebaby.org? Here is the link for CA groups:
http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/califo...sition=178:178
Hopefully there is a group near you or you can think about starting one in your area in the future : )

As far as how to start there are so many different ways. One suggestion is to start w/ the easy catches. For example those pees that come right after the baby wakes. Have everything set up for success by having your pottying supplies where you want them before you have to put the baby on the potty. What about taking the baby to the potty when you already have the diaper off (during a diaper change and before a bath)?

For older babies who are always on the go go go try to have a super fun new toy or activity that is only used during potty time. My girls liked looking at pictures or books. Sometimes we sang songs.

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions!

R055ANA 09-05-2012 01:58 PM

Hello there everyone!

It's so awesome that you want to start EC or are about to start. I started w/ my 3rd daughter when she was a few days old. She is now 7.5yrs old. I also have another DDer who I started @ 1 day old.

Strongwoman, it great that you have EC simplified and are getting suggestions from that. You mentioned that you would like to have a local person to talk w/ about EC. Hvae you looked into the support groups @ www.diaperfreebaby.org? Here is the link for CA groups:
Hopefully there is a group near you or you can think about starting one in your area in the future : )

As far as how to start there are so many different ways. One suggestion is to start w/ the easy catches. For example those pees that come right after the baby wakes. Have everything set up for success by having your pottying supplies where you want them before you have to put the baby on the potty. What about taking the baby to the potty when you already have the diaper off (during a diaper change and before a bath)?

For older babies who are always on the go go go try to have a super fun new toy or activity that is only used during potty time. My girls liked looking at pictures or books. Sometimes we sang songs.

strongwoman 09-05-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R055ANA (Post 15642305)
Hello there everyone!

Thanks so much for the info and tips throughout this forum! Really helps to get more ideas on how to be more successful :)

katherineemmons 09-06-2012 09:21 AM

I have not had much success in the first few days of trying this. My daughter will sit for up to 5 minutes but so far I have not "caught" anything yet! I have been doing it when she wakes up, after eating, after diaper changes of before I put her to bed..

R055ANA 09-06-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katherineemmons (Post 15645801)
I have not had much success in the first few days of trying this. My daughter will sit for up to 5 minutes but so far I have not "caught" anything yet! I have been doing it when she wakes up, after eating, after diaper changes of before I put her to bed..

Hi there Katherine! Good for you for trying all of these times to get a catch! Do you think it is that your DD doesn't have to go or is it that she is uncomfortable going w/o a diaper on? It could be that she has gotten quite use to going only in her diaper. What about letting her play bare bummed in an area where you don't mind some pee (i.e. the bathtub or some uncarpeted part of the house where you can just observe her going and what she does before she goes. Giving her the bare bottomed time might also be helpful to your DD because it might make her more aware, whereas the diaper sort of hides that and she doesn't understand that the pee/poo is leaving her body.

Best wishes and as always feel free to ask more questions. I enjoy chatting about EC : )

katherineemmons 09-12-2012 06:47 PM

So I have caught twice now! Both have been after a nap. She woke up dry both times I put her on the little potty and within 2 minutes she went. I think thats a good start (: It was one catch on two seperate days but two days in a row so I am hopeful that it continues!!

strongwoman 09-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katherineemmons (Post 15674045)
So I have caught twice now! Both have been after a nap. She woke up dry both times I put her on the little potty and within 2 minutes she went. I think thats a good start (: It was one catch on two seperate days but two days in a row so I am hopeful that it continues!!

Yay! Keep it going and don't give up!