Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   If you had a hospital VBAC, what did they "make" you do at the hospital? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439649)

Harmony96 09-04-2012 11:14 AM

If you had a hospital VBAC, what did they "make" you do at the hospital?

I'm going to talk with my OB tomorrow and ask her some probing questions just to see how pro-VBAC she is, but ideally, I'd like to have just intermittent monitoring (but I'll agree to continuous if they'll give on the other things), no epidural (understanding that in an emergency I'll be put under again), no IV - not even a heplock (preferring oral hydration instead). I already plan on not eating while in labor. I attempted eating in my two term labors and my body said, "No." LOL

Anyway, what all were you guys able to decline/postpone/modify in the hospital for your VBAC?

fluffybunsdiapers 09-05-2012 07:39 AM

I had a heplock and continued monitoring but had a long "leash" so o could use the ball, bar, rocker, whatever felt comfortable. I also labored at home as long as possible with 2 doulas I went over my birthplan before going into labor, I went natural so I pushed when my body told me not coached I pulled baby out, I latched her right away but she wouldn't nurse delayed cord clamping, skin to skin um this just happened so I haven't had much time to reflect

melissalaurel 09-06-2012 11:39 AM

Re: If you had a hospital VBAC, what did they "make" you do at the hospital?

I was told intermittent monitoring was fine and would only be mandatory if I had an epi. Which is not what went down as soon as I checked into L&D.

My biggest problem was that the two dr's I saw all throughout my pregnancy were not the dr's at the hospital delivering that day. Had I known upfront that I would have had to have my water broken and internal monitoring as soon as I walked in the door I would have found another provider asap.

I had to have constant internal monitoring after they broke my water (which I also begged not be done), an internal monitor in my uterus, and one in the babies scalp. I was allowed to walk with my iv pole once I was all hooked up but the weight of it all (emotionally and physically) made it impossible for me to move around.

Pitocin was started while I was sleeping (my husband or mother okay'd this I believe, I don't honestly know).

I did get lots of skin to skin contact with my just born baby and that made up for everything I went through to get him out. And I would choose another crappy hospital vbac over a repeat c-section any day. :)

melissalaurel 09-06-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffybunsdiapers (Post 15640470)
I had a heplock and continued monitoring but had a long "leash" so o could use the ball, bar, rocker, whatever felt comfortable. I also labored at home as long as possible with 2 doulas I went over my birthplan before going into labor, I went natural so I pushed when my body told me not coached I pulled baby out, I latched her right away but she wouldn't nurse delayed cord clamping, skin to skin um this just happened so I haven't had much time to reflect

:wub: Congratulations!!

Hitchkids 09-06-2012 02:57 PM

For most of my vbac's, the mandatory stuff was constant monitoring, iv, no getting out of the bed, etc. You are also on a clock as well and interventions are usually pushed faster than normal. I had two that were different but with one I had an awesome nurse who truly pushed and advocated for what I wanted and stood between me and the doctor to make sure I was able to have a better experience and for the other, I believe I only got a more hands off treatment because I was at a hospital that technically banned VBAC's so they were not used to dealing with them and just went with the way they normally handled births which was allowing you to walk the halls, wander, drink, check in just every so often as long as things seemed fine. That all ended when they didn't think things were going fast enough though.

In general though, I've been promised all sorts of nice stuff but then when I check in, the rules change because "this is how we always do it so you have to do it this way" so I've learned to not count on anything. I've had 7 VBAC's in various hospitals and one at home. My suggestion is to stay home as long as possible. Make sure you are truly in active labor even if the car ride sucks. Have a support person other than your husband there for you because sometimes husbands are more likely to give into medical pressure because they are worried for your health and the baby's health. I know my husband has often been pulled aside and given the "if your wife does not cooperate and do things our way, she will rupture and die" talk as well as was once threatened to be removed from the hospital for trying to advocate for my wishes. Sadly, many hospitals are truly concerned about lawsuits regarding OB care and sometimes they just aren't friendly places. And I promise I don't go into the hospital acting like a jerk. Promise. I just mostly ask to be left alone and to be given specific reasons regarding my current condition, not statistics, for why a treatment is being suggested.

Know what you want and what you won't budge on baring and emergency and feel out your provider but don't count on it really working that way as a VBAC because many times now hospitals just have a different set of rules for VBAC patients.

joeslittlewoman 09-06-2012 03:36 PM

Dp

joeslittlewoman 09-06-2012 03:36 PM

Heplock, and CFM were required. I was induced at 42 weeks, so pit as well. Though the doc gave the general guideline of cm/hour he was patient when the induction didn't seem to be working (zero dilation for several hours). Some nipple stimulation and ball exercises helped kick things off finally (though i probably looked strange doing hip circles while playing with my nipples, lol). I jumped to a four quickly once I started that.

I think when I opted for an epi that night they put me on IV fluids. It was a bit of a blur at that point. And I think the epi made his heart tones drop, so we had a cesarian not long after :( really wish I had had the presence of mind to have them turn off the epi or turn down the pit. Baby's heart rate was fine once in the OR. Again, wish I had the presence of mind to have pressed the pause button, if even possible at that point.

Harmony96 09-06-2012 04:41 PM

Here's a post I made in another thread after I met with our doctor on Wednesday and asked her a bunch of questions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony96 (Post 15642371)
I talked to the doctor today, and we're still leaning towards the hospital after our discussion with her. DH is still a little nervous that he will be too far away from me when I go into labor and I'm going to have the baby without him. At most, he would be two hours away from me, and my shortest labor so far was still a good eight hours of "real" labor (and some piddly contractions before that, like an hour apart).

In an emergency c-section, I would have to be put under (since I'm not having an epidural), and DH would not be able to be with me in the OR, but would be able to be right outside and accompany the baby. The doctor said that what usually happens is that the mom and baby end up in the recovery room at the same time, so there would be minimal separation. I think one of my biggest fears was not being able to have my baby when I wake up from the surgery, so that put my mind to rest about that.

I can have oral fluids (I don't plan on eating since my body disagreed with me when I tried to do that in past labors). She mentioned "ice chips and popsicles" but I plan on having some Recharge, too. I am going to go ahead and get a heplock, but have it in my arm instead of my hand, so it doesn't hinder my movement as much as if I had a big tube taped to my wrist. I would have skipped that, but it's difficult to get an IV started on me (I apparently have valvey veins), so I want to have a port available so they're not fumbling around for one if an emergency happens.

The crazy blood pressure cuff will be on me, but I plan on having it at as low a frequency as I can, and switching it from arm to arm depending on how I'm laying, maybe even having it on my leg sometimes (2.5 weeks of hospital bedrest taught me that there are options even while I'm still being "compliant").

The fetal monitoring will happen, too, but doesn't need to be constant until I'm in active labor (which I'm okay with). I asked her what would determine "active labor," and she said dilation to 4 or 5 (which is what I thought she'd say). I asked her what would determine active labor if I don't want a cervical check, and she said, "Well, if we can't confirm that you're not 4-5, then you're not in active labor," and winked at me, lol.

I didn't want to be jumped to a c-section at the first sign of trouble, and she assured me that they don't want to do that either, and would look for things like a pattern of a falling heart rate and not just mild, isolated drops.

But... all this would be a moot point if I don't even check into L&D. I could labor in the waiting room until closer to "go" time, right? lol. We'll have a doula this time (a mom who herself has had a VBAC) so she'll be helpful in figuring out when that time is.

With regard to the baby, if the birth is vaginal and baby is pink and crying, baby doesn't need to leave my arms at all. Delaying cord clamping until the cord stops pulsing is fine (I'll have to write it in my birth plan though just so all the staff is aware). Declining the vaccines and eye drops is possible, but I just have to get a note from the pediatrician for my file (which I'm pretty sure won't be a problem, we love love love our pedi) since the baby would be her patient and not my OB's.

Haven't met with the midwife yet since she had to cancel our meeting for today, and we're having trouble scheduling again when DH is off, so she'll call me later. But if we had to decide right now, I would feel totally comfortable with going to the hospital.

holly6737 09-06-2012 06:54 PM

Honestly it sounds like a really great plan. My last baby was a hospital VBAC and I"m planning a hospital VBAC with this baby too. I want continuous monitoring when I"m in active labor (it makes ME feel better) and I want a medlock (they don't bother me and I want them to not have to waste time getting access in an emergency). Other than that, I can do whatever I want. I dont' have to have an epidural (although I, personally, want one) and I can eat if I feel like it (I never feel like it). I can walk around, move, etc. Baby will be in the room with me a lot, but I'm also okay with not rooming in for a while if I need to sleep. I've found providers to be really, really reasonable about VBAC. I've found that if you don't go in with your guns blazing, people don't get defensive and are more willing to work with you.

CountryChicMama 09-07-2012 10:19 AM

Sounds like you all have a good plan Andrea! I've had two hospital VBACs and the only thing we did was the heplock. I also labor at home as long as possible, arriving at the hospital in active labor. I probably could've had continuous monitoring, b/c I like to labor on my hand and knees or holding onto the back of the bed, so I didn't really go anywhere. I just always like to remind everyone to have a signed birth plan to hand out, so that you can focus on your contraction and not having to argue/fight for your Dr. approved choices.