Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Am I the only one who has found microfiber not to be stinky? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439683)

Micheliala 09-04-2012 12:25 PM

Am I the only one who has found microfiber not to be stinky?

I stayed away from microfiber simply because i didn't like the feel of it plus i know from experience that fabrics with a mixture of cotton and poly tend toward retaining odors. then i got some fuzzi bunz for my older son, used them for about a year and was really suprised that they were still totally odor free?? Fast foward, with my youngest ds I'm using a mixture of mircrofiber and hemp and again there is no stink in the microfiber. Now i do notice i need to use a little extra detergent with the microfiber but other than that i don't do anything different or special. Other than it not being quite as absorbent as say hemp i'm just not finding it to be that big of a problem like i was expecting. is this a fluke and i'm still headed toward some dreaded smelly patch to come or has anyone else successfully used microfiber long term?

AZmommy 09-04-2012 12:28 PM

Re: Am I the only one who has found microfiber not to be stinky?

MY whole stash is thirsties AIOs which have microfiber soakers never an issue.. I probably have to rinse a bit more than just prefolds but I've never had issues getting them clean.

Kabuki24 09-04-2012 12:30 PM

Never have any stank here.

NiftyB 09-04-2012 12:31 PM

We've been using microfiber in pockets since LO was 6 wks old and haven't had any issues with stink either! We did have an ammonia problem that ultimately was resolved by bleaching the inserts and switching from Charlie's Soap to Tide, but actually, our hemp and bamboo inserts seemed to stink more of ammonia than the microfiber. So I'm with you: I haven't experienced the MF stink at all.

I think our MF is shot though, but that's another story...

Nerissa 09-04-2012 12:31 PM

I used microfiber inserts for two years--both day and night--with DS2 and didn't have any stink issues.

fantasia1117 09-04-2012 12:32 PM

I love my microfiber! I just bleach them regularly and have never had a big problem.

croth7 09-04-2012 12:35 PM

I never had MF stink for over a year then I purchased a front loader. Unfortunately, to get rid of the MF stink I now have to bleach every time I wash it .

eileprose 09-04-2012 12:35 PM

I'm so glad to hear this! I have been cding for a month.While I use a varried stash, I have a lot of BG 4.0, and thirsties AIOs and fitteds. I keep waiting for the stink to come but it hasn't. I'm really liking my wash routine right now, delicate wash/rinse no detergent no spin at the end so my diapers get really heavy for my HE washer, then a heavy cycle with detergent, and finally a sports cycle/rinse. This spins an extra lot so that the diapers come out of the washer pretty dry already.

Posts like this make me very hopeful maybe I will be able to stave off ammonia & stripping for a while.

AutumnRose 09-04-2012 12:38 PM

half my stash of inserts are microfiber and the other half are bamboo. My stash has only stunk on occasion because of the whole "dont use soap on your dippies" faze that went on when I was first starting to cd. Other then that my only reason for grabbing for bamboo over microfleece is because it holds back more of the flood, lol.

daniele_ut 09-04-2012 12:43 PM

I've only been CD'ing for about 5 months now, but so far we haven't had any stink issues with MF. I have a bunch of BG 4.0s and a bunch of Freetimes and some random other inserts. I bought a bunch of bamboo inserts because everyone warned me the MF would get stinky but I haven't needed them.