Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   I almost had an elevator baby :-) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439736)

crunchymom2b 09-04-2012 01:49 PM

I almost had an elevator baby :-)

I was super nervous this time around, not sure if I'd know what labor would feel like since my water broke and contractions didn't start until we got to the hospital last time.

I'd been having tons of decent contractions but nothing too regular, or at least not for long. At 37.4 I was 3cm and very thinned out. We wanted him to come early, but he really needed to hold off around Tommy's birthday party Sunday Sept 2nd. I felt like crap and had been having my blood show all that weekend and was doing eveything possible to keep the kiddo in until the party at least ended. Of course he didn't come as the party was winding down like we had hoped but oh well!

Before bed that night I noticed I was having contractions about 7-8 minutes apart but they weren't too bad so I went to sleep. Around 4:30ish I woke up from a strong pain very low in my pelvis but my stomach didn't get that hard so I wasn't sure what was going on. I went back to sleep and was awoke again about 20 minutes later. After 3 o 4 of these they went to 10ish minutes apart Come 6:30 they were really really hurting so I called my midwives office but she told me to wait until they got stronger and closer together. I wasn't happy! As soon as I hung up the phone they went to 4-5 minutes apart and they hurt like heck! So I called back about 30 minutes and told her we'd be in within the hour, after she told me that I'd be okay to wait but if "i was nervous about not making it" or something I could come in sooner. Good thing I did!

The carride took about 5-7 minutes and I had to lean backwards and kneel the whole way. I tried signingmy consent forms when we got there but I just couldn'tand ran for the bathroom; they stopped me and asked if they could check me first. I refused butt he bathroom was occupied so I leaned over the bed and took my pants off and realized I needed to push. The nurses were pretty frantic and checked me while I stood up and told me I was complete and needed to get on the bed fast so baby wouldn't drop to the floor. I stayed in the backwards/on my knees position or hands and knees while they scrambled to get me upstairs in time, though I came erally close to delivering in the elevator. I was pushing the entire time. Finally we got to my room and I inched my way ove to the bed (after protesting loudly). They kept telling me baby was coming but I didn't believe them; the room was packed with people it was pretty insane. On my way up I said "so I guess I can't get my epidural now?" and they all laughed. I wanted a natural birth but wouldn't have lasted through that pain any longer. I didn't want to move from hands and knees but they couldn't get a good FHR trace and baby didn't seem to be coming as well as he should so somehow they got me on my side. Once they did that he was out in about 2-3 pushes!

Oh, and all of that happened in 7 minutes! Arrived at the hospital at 8:03, and delivered at 8:10am! In total my labor was about 3.5 hours not counting the crappy early labor in the weeks prior.

Welcome to the world Vincenzo Anthony! 6lbs 9.4oz and 18.5" long, born at 8:10am on Monday 9/3/2012! This is our 2nd Labor Day baby; his big brother Tommy was born on Labor Day 2009. Go figure :-)

stevensmom 09-04-2012 01:52 PM

Re: I almost had an elevator baby :-)

what a great story and for your little boys to be labor day babies

omahonycm 09-04-2012 02:00 PM

Hooray! Congratulations. What a great story and I'm so happy your little one is safe and sound and in your arms. Hooray!

eco-mum 09-04-2012 02:15 PM

Yay! Congrats! That's such a great story, nice and quick labor!

garness 09-04-2012 02:19 PM

thanks for sharing!

littlemsmom 09-04-2012 07:43 PM

Congratulations!!!

Nerissa 09-05-2012 06:36 AM

Congratulations!!!!! You will be telling that story for awhile.

There is nothing like walking in at 10cm and having the baby right then. Kinda freaks the nurses out (DS2 was that kinda birth)

lilbitcrunchy 09-05-2012 08:13 AM

:bliss: congrats Alycia, how cool they have the same birthday and labor day to boot! What a wild labor! Happy babymoon with your new little man :wub:

emeyer76 09-05-2012 09:59 AM

Congratulations! That is so neat!!

songbird516 09-05-2012 12:56 PM

Wow what are the chances that they would both be born on labor day? lol! Congrats on the fast labor! It does freak the nurses out to get there pushing already, doesn't it?! That happened with my first. You'd think that they would be used to it, since they see babies born all of the time, but I guess it doesn't happen that often that moms get there so late in the game.