Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Homemade baby wipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440073)

Mika 09-05-2012 10:21 AM

Homemade baby wipes

So, I am considering making my own baby wipes but I can't stand tea tree oil nor lavender (plus I heard they have estrogenic properties so I would avoid them) both are considered antifungal, which help preventing mold.
Is there anything else I can add to the wipes to prevent them from growing mold? And what other essential oil options do I have for babies to give the wipes some natural, good scent?

Thanks!

Numerbums 09-05-2012 10:52 AM

Re: Homemade baby wipes

I use a spray bottle with just plain old water and a little baby oil and spray each wipe as I'm ready to use it. I like this method so much better then having the wipes sit in the moisture.

reyasunshine 09-05-2012 11:52 AM

I got the Prince Lionheart Warmies Wipe Warmer and with a suggestion from here... I just fill it up with water, almond oil, and a squirt of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. :) Then I just dip and wring the wipes.

I tried making my own wipes (flannel and terry), but they were much too rough on my baby's skin. And she broke out. I invested in custom wipes (30 for $38 sherpa/cotton velour wipes from Kate Danzer here on DS), which seemed like A LOT and a "luxury item" at the time, but really, it was the best $38 I ever spent! LOL.

garness 09-05-2012 02:21 PM

I use a bit of witch hazel in my wipe solution. This keeps it fresh. But just don't use it if the baby has any broken skin (witch hazel has a bit of alcohol in it, so it will burn).

TrennaII 09-05-2012 05:31 PM

Just a little sea salt!

I actually used the packets for my neti pot, which are salt and baking soda. Keeps the wipes fresh, cleans well, and avoids drying his skin.

Saharan 09-05-2012 09:24 PM

I keep my wipes in a warmer and just use hot water and a squirt of CJ's Carcass cleaner. I have never had mold issues or smelly wipes in 2 years of doing it this way. I just wipe out the warmer with a dry wipe before I refill.

jason&jilliansmama 09-05-2012 11:12 PM

What's the difference between a regular wipe warmer and the warmies wipes warmer? I got the prince lionheart deluxe warmer And have been using my cloth wipes in it.

Cleokatrah 09-06-2012 01:33 AM

For that matter, why are the prince lionheart wipe warmers so popular? I have a munchkin one I am rather fond of yet I never hear people crowing about it so I'm curious.

@OP: Vinegar? Though I'm not sure how you'd mask the smell.

huntressxx 09-06-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleokatrah
For that matter, why are the prince lionheart wipe warmers so popular? I have a munchkin one I am rather fond of yet I never hear people crowing about it so I'm curious.

@OP: Vinegar? Though I'm not sure how you'd mask the smell.

I like mine because of the size of it and the pillow.

dren09 09-06-2012 07:14 AM

I'm like Numerbuns and just use water in a spray bottle. It's really simple and I don't have to worry about mold or any other issues like that. We have a little spray bottle that stays in her diaper bag so it's also easy to just grab her bag and go.