Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone use CJ butter every change? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440103)

mandabug2 09-05-2012 11:35 AM

Anyone use CJ butter every change?

My DS is getting Cheerio sized burns (cloth or disposable) every time he poops. I change him within a couple of minutes but he still burns. I am considering putting it on every change to protect his poor bum. What will that do to my diapers?? I know they say it's cloth diaper safe but am I safe using it with no liner that much?

Done at 3 09-05-2012 11:41 AM

My understanding is that you would still need to use a liner with it to prevent repelling.

reyasunshine 09-05-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Anyone use CJ butter every change?

"Cloth diaper safe" usually just means cotton prefolds. LOL. I called the company, and that's what they said. ;) And even then, you have to wash them pretty good, so they don't keep that oil on them.

My CJ's made my BG diapers repel HORRIBLY. I had to strip for days. I think when I've used a disposable liner, with a fleece liner under that, they were fine. But I never wash the fleece liners with her diapers... :)

And coconut oil has worked the best for us... better than any cream or CJ's we've tried. :) (I still use two liners when I have to do that though. And also, the *only* time she got diaper rash was when we had diapers she was allergic to, non stay-dry diapers, or I ate something she was allergic to... :( )

theonenonlymrssmith 09-05-2012 11:56 AM

I know this isn't what your asking, but is it possible he has a food allergy? A bright red ring around the anus is a very common sign of food allergies.

(see allergy ring here, http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/skin-care/diaper-rash)

As for the cj's I don't use it every change, but I use it often, with no problems. I think as long as your washing and rinsing your diapers enough then you should not have troubles!

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.

mandabug2 09-05-2012 12:31 PM

I can't tell if he is allergic or if the acidity of certain foods like pasta sauce and grapes is causing the issue. He isn't a great chewer (silly because he had all his teeth by 11 months) but I've wondered if that is part of the problem too.

allisonmartin 09-05-2012 12:45 PM

I've been using it semi regularly for a couple months and haven't had any problems so far(knock on wood).

mandabug2 09-05-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reyasunshine (Post 15641724)
"Cloth diaper safe" usually just means cotton prefolds. LOL. I called the company, and that's what they said. ;) And even then, you have to wash them pretty good, so they don't keep that oil on them.

Ahhh!!! I've already used it on a bunch of my diapers (AI2). I wish when they said cloth diaper safe they would explain for a newbies sake! :banghead:

dannic 09-05-2012 01:03 PM

some mamas have trouble with repelling and others like myself have never had an issue...I use 4.0s and use cjs not daily but often and have never had any trouble with repelling.

cantwaitfornumber2 09-05-2012 05:30 PM

I haven't had any repelling *YET* and I use every change or my lo gets a contact rash- we can't use stay dry at all or her whole diaper area looks terrible... Even sposies don't work for us... (thankfully)

AmandaA 09-05-2012 06:59 PM

The CJ's website actually says this about repelling:
In our experience, anyone who has had repelling with cloth diapers, possibly due to CJ’s, has been using it in conjunction with a natural -baking soda based- detergent. While very few users of natural detergents (or any users at all for that matter!) experience problems, we recommend that if using CJ’s in conjuction with a baking soda based detergent and especially diapers made with synthetic materials, adding either a capful of bleach every so often to your wash routine, or adding an additional surfectant such as Dawn or Simple Green, combined with HOT water, will reduce the chance of any kind of repelling issues.

So that could be an issue for some people. I use either a CJ's stick or a Gro-Via Magic Stick at every diaper change and haven't had any issues. We had the same type of poo related skin issues that you are describing. DS was constantly red and even blistered from time to time. Discussed it with our peds to make sure it wasn't a food allergy and she agreed. Just like you said, fruit and acidic things are worse than others. In our case, he just has really sensitive skin and has been allergic to every commercial baby wipe we tried as well. The other thing I love, and didn't expect, was how much easier it makes cleaning him up when I change him. Much easier to get the poo off of him and less irritation to his skin from that process as well.