Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   If you had to pick just one kind of wool... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440349)

yarrowwind 09-06-2012 02:55 AM

If you had to pick just one kind of wool...

So I'm wanting to try out wool but I don't want to buy a bunch of different kinds because I want them all to match if I decide to keep using them (I know, I'm weird). I prefer the "natural" colored ones and don't want anything with snaps, velcro, or elastic. (Which leaves pull-ons.) I don't like upcycled stuff or the home knitted things in multi-colors (just not into it).

So what do you recommend? I am sort of leaning toward Aristocrats or Disana but neither one very strongly. Or maybe something else??? I'd love it if it fit under clothes well but not really hopeful there.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

L J 09-06-2012 04:18 AM

If I had never used wool, and I were only going to try one kind... I would buy a Loveybums pull on. Aristocrats and the other annoy me because they are so very bulky and strange looking. Great for night, but not my thing.

The Loveybums are a great fit, thick and soft, always consistently high quality, and they do fit under (most/upsized) clothes.

stephcrouse 09-06-2012 04:32 AM

Re: If you had to pick just one kind of wool...

I agree, I would try a good interlock soaker with an extra layer in the wetzone. I didn't care for the double knit pull on soakers for day use, although they are great for night! I second the recommendation for lovey bums pull on soakers :)

yarrowwind 09-06-2012 06:17 AM

Hmm... I guess I prefer the look of disana/aristocrats/etc over the loveybum look. Loveybums look like fleece to me, they also only come in "colors". I suppose if those are the best I will do that though. What makes them not good for nighttime use? Are they different care-wise from the double knit ones?

JeDeeLenae 09-06-2012 06:26 AM

I would either found natural colored interlock soakers or have some natural ones knit with a good pattern.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

Fashionably Green Baby 09-06-2012 06:35 AM

I would go with a double layer wool interlock blend. They are soft, bulletproof, super stretchy, hold their shape well and can survive a trip through the washer if they accidentally find there way in there.

mypeanut09 09-06-2012 08:15 AM

I got my wool as a knitted from a WAHM. Mine is a multicolor, but she mostly does customs and her prices are pretty good, so she could make you whatever color you want. The wool she used for mine was actually custom dyed by her, so it was "natural" to. start with. I used 123 Cloth Me.

FriedaT 09-06-2012 08:49 AM

I was going to say hand knitted is my favorite, but then saw that you don't care for that. If it's just because of the multicolored yarn, you can get them done in solids or a natural undyed color. The only mainstream wool I've tried (not hand knitted or upcycled) is Disana. I :wub: my Disana soaker for overnights, but it's definitely too bulky for under pants. I want to try Loveybums wraps, just haven't had the pp.

Like others said, if you're wanting it to go under clothing, I'd go with an interlock soaker, probably two layers to be safe.

fuzzynoodle 09-06-2012 09:39 AM

Well, I'm biased because I am a WAHM hand knitter (and dyer), but you can get handknits in ANY color you want. They can also be super customized for great fit.

I have seen recently babies having reactions to the elastic/rubber content that is in some interlock, so if you are moving to wool for sensitivity reasons, do be aware of that.

Also, I'm a big fan of polar fleece. Also, you can get it custom any way you want, and they are the easiest care thing on the market. And CHEAP.

fuzzynoodle 09-06-2012 09:39 AM

Well, I'm biased because I am a WAHM hand knitter (and dyer), but you can get handknits in ANY color you want. They can also be super customized for great fit.

I have seen recently babies having reactions to the elastic/rubber content that is in some interlock, so if you are moving to wool for sensitivity reasons, do be aware of that.

Also, I'm a big fan of polar fleece. Also, you can get it custom any way you want, and they are the easiest care thing on the market. And CHEAP.