Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   ladies help I am broken on buy sell auto pilot (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440351)

2+2macht4 09-06-2012 04:02 AM

ladies help I am broken on buy sell auto pilot

I sold hundreds of baby items and got everything into bins, then I started buying again I got too much and need to sell more.

I am broken on autopilot I feel like I have to buy things for the new baby and I do just to turn around and sell them because I realize no I dont need more.

Or I obsess about if I should or should not get items I already said were unnecessary. I feel like my desire to be simple with the kids is conflicting with my nesting instinct to prepare for the next baby.

I mean I have not gone nuts I only shop used and there is a good resale market, so I have not maxed out credit cards or anything but I just feel panic ridden unhappy when I buy unhappy when I dont if that makes sense.

mamamarisa 09-06-2012 05:30 AM

Re: ladies help I am broken on buy sell auto pilot

just stop selling until your baby is here and dont buy anything else you dont absolutely need until they are here(they need a couple blankets, some outfits, diapers, a place to sleep, and bottles/formula or if you plan to brestfeed may not need those 2, and lastly a carseat. if you forget to buy something, you can always buy it after the baby is born

elizabeth.scalf 09-06-2012 07:54 AM

Make a list of what you have., and a very short list of what you think you stil NEED (10 items or less). I understand the need to want to have everything ready for a new baby (I'm siting here 6 days overdue). I just keep repeating 'no baby ever died yet from not having new blankets and cute clothes.' I've got a few outfits ready for whether it's a girl or a boy, a stack of white onesies, one pack of GN flannel blankets, a few bins of dipers, and the co-sleeper ready. Carseat and bouncy seat are the only 'furnture' items around the house. Rationally I know stuff lke Bumbos, swings, high chairs, playmats, even rattles, they won't need until they're a few months old and it won't be an immediate need, so don't worry about stocking up, finding deals, or having it ready.

it possible to stay out of the stores that sell baby stuff?

TypeAMom 09-06-2012 12:26 PM

Yes, stop buying and make a need list and a want list. If anyone calls and asks if you need something, feel free to let them know what you still need.

hezdwoody 09-07-2012 08:53 AM

I had the same problem. I really had everything I needed but kept wanting to buy things. See if you can channel that nesting energy into a different part of the house. For me getting outside and cleaning up the flower beds infront of the house was satisfying. Just find a project you want to get done that you know will be a challenge with a newborn and try to knock it out before baby is there. Other ideas would be prepping freezer meals or giving the house a good deep clean.

hibiscus869 09-07-2012 12:45 PM

I've found that for me the more I shop/spend, the more I want to do it. But if I force myself to stop for a while (even a few days) it seems to jerk me out of my rut and then I don't need to do it so much. It reminds me of sugar- the more sugar you eat the more you tend to crave it, right? But if you restrict yourself eventually you find the craving goes away, or lessens at least.

I did that no-spend August thing and it really helped me to see my spending habits more clearly. At first I just took it a day at a time, but by the end of the month I was on a high from being so careful about spending and not just buying to buy. I was so proud of myself. It was really enlightening. Also getting rid of so many things, selling or donating, has made me realize I don't want to just re-accumulate stuff, it's like a circle that just goes 'round and 'round. So that has also helped a lot. I would try to give yourself a goal- like you won't buy anything else the rest of this month, or this week. Just take it in little steps and see how much you can do. You may surprise yourself.

clothlover8 09-08-2012 04:12 AM

I have the same problem. I purge and love the way the house feels then I go out and buy more, I also buy used and sometimes I think that's the way I justify it. It's very frustrating and it is like hibiscus89 said "round and round" for me anyway.

Something that helps me a little bit is thinking of all the wastage and things I've had to purge and time it takes to sell and the loss if I just give it away and it helps slow down my buying a little or at least consider more what I am buying and how soon after I may need to purge the item.

Numommy 09-08-2012 04:38 PM

Man I'm just in burnout purge mode right now. I do t want to move anything else. I just want to put it in the closet shut the door and go outside!!

flynnsmom 09-08-2012 07:26 PM

Rena, honestly you need to get busy with other stuff. Take long walks, cook new recipes, get out of the house as much as possible. Occupy your mind with something else and you will become happily too busy to obsess about stuff. When I am really busy at work, all the extraneous obsessions I would like to indulge in (such as having a really clean floor) have to fall by the wayside due to necessity.

pgkcb13 09-09-2012 12:03 AM

I agree with those that say to put that energy into other things. I think it's a good plan for myself too :)