Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   What questions would you ask? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440370)

liveelou 09-06-2012 06:55 AM

What questions would you ask?

Hey Ladies! I'm hoping for a vbac on the next one (currently TTC) and was just wondering what questions I should ask my OB during my first appt? Thanks!

songbird516 09-06-2012 10:50 AM

Re: What questions would you ask?

I would ask how they feel about VBACs and what their success rate is with them, for starters. After that you can get the details. I'd also ask if they could review your first delivery and find out the indication in the notes for the c-section (unless it's something like breech that you are sure about), and what kind of stitching you had, etc. Basically, what did the doctor put in the notes that might affect how this doctor feels about it (if it's someone different). Also, ask them what they think the biggest risks of VBAC are and what the risk of rupture is. If they say anything more than .5-2% (for classical incision), you know that they are inflating the risks and may not be supportive.

liveelou 09-07-2012 09:48 PM

Thank you! That helps a lot!

Binah Birth 09-22-2012 07:15 AM

We have this question ALL THE TIME on our ICAN forum. Here is one of the most recent lists compiled by ICAN of Atlanta:

1. What is their philosophy on going past 40 weeks?
2. What is their philosophy on “big babies?”
3. How many VBACs have they attended?
4. Of the last 10 women seeking VBAC from them, how many had a VBAC?
5. Do they attend VBACs with an unknown or low vertical scar?
6. Do they have any standard VBAC protocols that differ from a non-VBAC mom?
7. Under what circumstances would they induce a VBAC?
8. What methods do they use?
9. Do they attend vaginal breech births?
10. How many uterine ruptures have they witnessed? Were those in VBAC moms?
11. What kind of monitoring do they require?
12. What is their CS rate?
13. Do they perform an automatic CS if waters have been broken for more than 24 hours, even if there is no evidence of infection and mom and baby are fine?
14. Do they have a time-limit on how long your labor can be before they c-section you?
15. Do they require an IV or heplock?
16. Are you permitted to move and deliver in your position of choice?
17. How do you feel about doulas?
18. Can I labor in water?
19. What steps do you recommend taking to avoid an episiotomy and tearing (i.e. perineal support, massage during pushing, etc)
20. Am I allowed to eat/drink during labor?

Someone on the list also mentioned asking them for the risks of a repeat CS and the pros of a VBAC. This will tell you if they are lying straight to your face or not. I thought that was a good idea.

liveelou 09-22-2012 02:22 PM

Thank you so much! That list is very helpful!!

Anna0623 11-30-2012 04:49 PM

Sew Cute Creations thank you so much for such a long and helpful list. i was just thinking about what questions I should ask potential doctors. I thought I had found a vbac friendly doctor but that was not the case when I went in for my check up. I was told that because of two prior sections i did not qualify for a vbac and was told it would be extremely difficult to find a vba2c friendly doctor.

Binah Birth 11-30-2012 06:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. What part of VA are u in? Have you gotten in touch with ICAN?