Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Cloth tissues? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440649)

Green Decals 09-06-2012 08:22 PM

Cloth tissues?

We use family cloth, and have a great set-up and love it, been doing that for a few years now... But I want to do cloth tissues, too. I just use the FC for my nose, but DH is a tissue guy and so I want to make something very close to the paper kind, single-layer, maybe out of old dress shirts or t-shirts. If you use them, what material do you use and what is your "system" like?

I was thinking a wall-mounted box for clean ones with a mesh bag hanging under it for dirties...

GEM Cloth 09-07-2012 05:47 AM

Re: Cloth tissues?

I made us a bunch of hankies out of two layers of cotton jersey knit (it was actually an old knit sheet). If you use one layer of this type of fabric the ends will curl up but that might not bother you. Two layers are really better though to contain the messes.

Green Decals 09-08-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEM Cloth (Post 15649898)
I made us a bunch of hankies out of two layers of cotton jersey knit (it was actually an old knit sheet). If you use one layer of this type of fabric the ends will curl up but that might not bother you. Two layers are really better though to contain the messes.

Good to know, thanks!

shortcake2386 09-08-2012 07:54 PM

i make them out of bamboo jersey or velour

CMamma 09-09-2012 09:10 AM

I'm going to make some out of flannel. We've been using FC/wipes that are velour for them but while they are super soft (esp when you're sick & blowing a ton), I just think they're too thick. I'm going to make them with some flannel & maybe using old tshirts too.

wireni 09-10-2012 03:14 AM

I make mine from cotton batiste, they are 12" x 12".
I would find flannel or T-Shirt fabric too bulky in my pants pocket.

ZnBmama 09-10-2012 11:15 AM

I used single layer (old) flannel receiving blankets :)

MamaJules 09-12-2012 10:55 AM

We have oodles of those little baby washcloths, and they work really well. I use them for my boys who inherited their daddy's super snotty nose, and for myself. I would love it if I could get DH to use cloth tissues, but he refuses. We go through at least a box of tissues a week, and more when his allergies act up.

wireni 09-12-2012 03:07 PM

Oh yes my "system". I use the same tissue throughout the day for when my nose runs because of hot food, cold wind, happy tears etc. This bit of moisture dries up in my pants pocket. When I have a cold, I still use paper tissues. The used hankerchiefs just go in the laundry basket with the clothes. DH and I each have our own set (different design), and store them in our underwear drawers.

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-15-2012 12:14 PM

I am so lazy on this front... I just use all the old receiving blankies for the kids and toss em in the regular laundry. For hubby and I still using tp :blush: