Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Water birth tips (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440852)

kansasgirl 09-07-2012 12:47 PM

Water birth tips

I'm planning to do a water birth (in a hospital). With my first child I had an epidural. I'm just wondering if there are any tips or advice anyone can give me who has experienced a water birth themselves.

Catbutt Diapers 09-07-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Water birth tips

Don't let your husband fall asleep in the pool! LOL mine did. Twice.

supergirljennie 09-07-2012 03:28 PM

If you choose to wear a sports bra, make sure it's an opaque color and not white.

4dramamama 09-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergirljennie
If you choose to wear a sports bra, make sure it's an opaque color and not white.

This!

Also, make sure to pee right before you get in.

I really hate touch during labor but the I used the water to splash over my belly during hard contractions and it was so pleasantly distracting.

And bring a nursing top/bra to change into for when you get out.

1healthylady 09-10-2012 07:36 AM

The pool was AMAZING! It really helped me relax between contractions.

Make sure you have the right temp. Mine was way too hot at first (i just don't do hot baths well). I got out for a while and got back in later after it cooled down. That being said, have some washcloths in an icy water bowl handy to put on your forehead/neck as needed.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

L J 09-10-2012 07:43 AM

It's amazing pain relief. I have had 3 med free births, and the first was a true water birth. It was so relaxing, and really helped me to focus my efforts during the pushing stage.

I don't have any practical tips, but I think you will love it.

roseyroberts 09-11-2012 05:19 PM

I second the top. My first water birth was unplanned so I was completely naked. My pics are very graphic..lol
If you plan on bf'ing maybe use a swimsuit top that has front clasp for easy removal.
The cold washcloths were a must have for me too..i got really hot at one point. I have done two water births and plan one for this time as well.

elizabeth.scalf 09-11-2012 07:32 PM

My two natural births have been water births. LOVE THEM! I can't compare them to any other natural birth, but I won't want to try a regular natural birth after trying water first. I was completely naked for both, I didn't bother with modesty. I never thought about the cool wash cloth, but I was perspiring from the heat. The water probably wasn't too terribly hot, but to an over-sensitive (read: laboring) woman, and sensitive skin, even a few degrees made the water unbearable to touch and I had them add cold water. For my first I was siting back, with my feet infront of me pushing onto the side, curling forward with each contraction. It was a decent position. With my second I was on my knees, hunched over the side, gripping the top edge and resting my cheek on a towel. Physically, I felt like it was a more natural position to bear down, and I enjoyed it more, but it made it impossible for me to look down and see when the head was out (which is a rush). After the head came out, it was also a much harder position to get the rest of the body out, and it wasn't an easy transition to hand off the baby to my husband while I got off my knees and sat back. But, my first water birth was an 8-lber and second was a 9lb11ozer, so the trouble with getting the body out could have been size and not position related.

almostcrunchy 09-11-2012 07:41 PM

I've had 2 home-water-births, planning our 3rd in early Feb :goodvibes:

Cool washcloths are very helpful!
Cold drinks to sip on.
For me, when things would get intense, getting out of the water for 10 min and then getting back in made me really appreciate it so much more! (I know that probably sounds strange, but I would get "used" to it's pain relieving effect after being in the tub for awhile).

I just wore a sports bra in the tub, if you wear "clothes" it's going to be a PITA if you get in and out often.

Good luck!!!! Waterbirths are AMAZING! :goodvibes:

cubits 09-11-2012 07:46 PM

I just had a water birth last week. Amazing!
have a good surface set up to get out and have the baby just in case you change your mind and jump out at the last minute :) Thank goodness my couch was protected :)
Here's my birth story:
http://cubitsorganics.com/2012/09/in...e-birth-story/